Baton Rouge

I’m looking to go to LSU for my graduate work. Mainly because I was offered a good graduate assistant position. Obviously I’m going to go visit before I committ, but that is awhile off.

For those of you who live there, have visited, etc. what do you think of Baton Rouge and/or LSU? Thanks in advance.

Whoohoo, I’m exactly who you’re looking for here…LSU undergrad, LSU med school. The wife and I are thinking about moving back to the area sometime in the future. It’s a great town especially if you’re college age. If you have any specific questions just let me know, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Grew up in Baton Rouge (15 years), both parents taught at LSU. Great food, great women, nice (relatively) small-town atmosphere. Don’t go if you wilt in the heat, though.

As for LSU, I’d say it depends on the department whether it’d be a good choice for you or not. Some depts. are really strong, some not so good.

Jeremy:

Maybe I shouldn’t bring this up, since you are obviously serious about your studies…but a guy has to relax SOMETIME, huh?

I heard that LSU has some of the cutest ladies in the whole SEC! (If the Marching Band Drill/Dance team I saw this past year on T.V. was any indication…I’d have to agree!)

Congratulations on getting the position!

Mufasa

Thanks for the responses guys. I take it the weather is just humid as anything? How is the campus and the housing situation down there? Is the campus as centered around athletics as they make it seem?

The weather just sucks during the summer months. I think you could say that about any southern coastal state. It’s hot as hell and humid as hell. You get used to it.

The campus is beautiful and has been named one of the most beautiful campuses in the country numerous times. Lots of eye candy too. :wink:

Centered around athletics is probably not the right phrase. College athletics are a big thing down here, but like anywhere else, you can choose to not be involved with that if that’s your choice. Football’s huge and our college baseball attendence has been #1 in the nation for quite a few years running. (5 national championships in 10 years does that for you.)

Like most places, it’s what you make of it. I had a great time there. Learned a lot, and it got me into med school. Met my wife there and generally had a great time. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Thanks for the responses guys. I take it the weather is just humid as anything? How is the campus and the housing situation down there? Is the campus as centered around athletics as they make it seem?

Thanks Doc. Do any of your guys know about housing in the area?

Haven’t lived there for a few years, but renting is fairly inexpensive. Not too sure about the buyer’s market at this time though. If you’re going to rent around campus, you’ll find some pretty good deals if you look around. My last year there, I paid $315 a month for my apartment to myself.