Baths of All Kinds for Recovery

recent articles mentioning ice baths had me wondering… what’s everybody’s take on ice baths, and hot baths?.. i’ve heard mainly good things about ice baths…

i tried one once… and, aside from a fear of hypothermia… i was incredibly stiff, and not feeling awesome the next day…as for hot baths… i used to take them after a hard game…but recently have heard they will hinder recovery…what’s everyone’s thoughts on the two?

I’ve heard of ice baths working well for distance guys in track but as for strength training I’ve never heard anything good.

I’ve had some pretty good turnout with hot baths/epsom salt baths, where’d you hear of hot baths hindering recovery?

[quote]btlifter wrote:
recent articles mentioning ice baths had me wondering… what’s everybody’s take on ice baths, and hot baths?.. i’ve heard mainly good things about ice baths…

i tried one once… and, aside from a fear of hypothermia… i was incredibly stiff, and not feeling awesome the next day…as for hot baths… i used to take them after a hard game…but recently have heard they will hinder recovery…what’s everyone’s thoughts on the two?[/quote]

i use warm/cool/hot/cold/hot/cold showers after my workouts (each for about 30 to 45 secs) - its works , i feel better. Warning though - they are quite addictive

Contrast showers are a good thing, but they shouldn’t be used frequently because the body will adapt. It’s best to save this one in the “treasure chest” before a competition or similar event.