Bastardized Velocity Diet - An Experiment

Hey Everyone,

First and foremost- I originally posted this in the Biotest Velocity Diet forum and they didn’t let me cause I didn’t use Biotest Supps.

Regardless, will be using this log for myself, simply to keep
track of everything during this little experiement and to keep a place for
updates beside my own workout logbook.

A little background about me: 4 sport athlete, Collegiate/Minor League
Baseball Player, turned powerlifter/strongman. Became a S&C/Performance
Coach myself (NASM CPT, NASM CE, Pn1, FRC, NSCS CSCS, etc).

I don’t feel like I truly need to lose much weight (although that doesn’t
mean I don’t have some excess fat I COULD lose); however, I agreed to
support my wife cause she wanted to do some dumb “lose weight, win money”
diet bet crap. Either way the competetive side of me is obvisouly wanting
to win this and win some money so I have decided to do the V-Diet. I have
been putting on weight and strength this past year now that I have my own
home gym vs. working out in a park (F*cking Covid). I have read and heard
about the V-diet in many of the old Bodybuilding “cult” forums and am
going to give this a try and see how it goes.

With that in mind, I will not be following the exact “V-Diet.” READERS GASP
I also will be doing my own modified workouts as well. READERS DOUBLE GASP

I know, I know…Chris would be disappointed but I have my own supps, and I
am a propent of eating real food vs purely supps. I have done the math in
regards to the MACROS for an avg day of eating using Biotest Supps vs my
own (Which I will list below) and made it as close as possible. It is
literally the same calories, with some slightly different MACRO counts-
but honestly, I don’t think consuming an extra 5g of carbs/day will
somehow screw the whole diet up. That’d just be dumb.

I also want to remind anyone reading along with me, that my choice to not
follow not the supps/workout routine is because for me this is an
EXPERIMENT. It is my 28 days so if you’re going to bash what I want to do
and cry, “Well that’s not the diet”- you can F*ck right off. I know it
isn’t the exact plan laid out. That’s why it is an EXPERIMENT, and I am
choosing to log it so anyone who attempts to try this “Modified Protein
Sparing Fast” with other supps/workouts will have a clue about what may
happen. (Last time I checked the OG diet was basically an experiment Chris
ran himself)

Lastly, I am currently doing my version of the diet as we speak, for the past week but this past memorial day weekend I had a little getaway where I drank/didn’t eat the most healthy way. So although I started it Monday, May 24, 2021 (And do look a little less bloated with about 5lbs
lost!), I will “Officially” Start on today Thursday June 3, 2021 and go through
Wednesday June 30 (That is the diet bet weigh-in day).

My Offical Starting Weights and Dimensions (Taken using an Evolt Body
Scanner) as of Thursday May 27, 2021

Height and Weight: 6’1 236.8lbs
LBM: 195.8lbs
Body Fat Mass: 41lbs
Body Fat Percentage: 17.3%

I will be taking pictures after my getaway and will keep them for myself
until the challenge is done

My Daily Meal Plan/Supps Results may vary

Upon Waking (4am most days): Nutrakey Yohimbine HCL x9mg
Breakfast (6-7am): Orgain Organic Protein + Superfoods x1serving, and
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein x1serving
Mid-Morning (10am): Optimum Nutrition x2 servings
Pre-Workout (Normally start my workout between 12-2pm): Nutrakey Yohimbine
HCL x12mg and a 5hr Energy
Post Workout: Optimum Nutrition x2 servings, Fish Oil x2
Dinner (7-8pm): Various types of meat, 1/2 cup of rice, spinach, beans,
peppers, etc. cooked in kerrygold butter or olive oil. A very “Vertical
Diet” sort of meal.
Additionally, if I worked out I have created my own
“Plazma” shake I will actually drink with dinner to makeup for lost
calories. (Can’t really take Yohimbine and Food at the same time- pretty
counter productive). Also 2 more fish oil pills
Pre-Bed (9pm): Optimum Nutrition x1, Fish Oil x3

I also drink 1-1.5 gallons of water/day and take Vitamin D3, Magnesium,
Multivitamin daily

Lastly, for anyone curious about my blended homemade Plazma drink here it is
-OJ x12oz
-Cranberry Juice x8oz (NOT COCKTAIL)
-Spinach x1-1.5 cups
-Optimum Nutrition x1 serving

Obviously on non-workout days I would not consume my “Plazma” drink which
saves alot of calories!

Planned Training Routine

Jailhouse Density Training (Modified) x3/week
Rucking x1-2/week plus abs and stretching (counted as active rest not a
workout day)
Golf x1-2/week (I am gearing up for a few upcoming Long Drive events, also
not counted as a workout day)

Well, I will be checking back in on this in a week for two. See ya then!

2 Likes

I always support independent, open minded and honest experiments, especially if logged in a precise manner, so I will be checking you.
Good luck :slight_smile:

Update Post:

Results since I last posted on June 3rd

• Weighed in yesterday after waking up at 238lbs. Now I know this seems like I weighed more, and I sort of had a mini freakout because I was like–HOW?! Especially considering I have been looking much more lean very quickly. Then I remembered when I took my evolt test I took it at 2:32pm after I worked and even hit balls at the range. I did it when I was “empty”. This lead me to weigh myself after playing 18 holes yesterday when I was “empty” again and I weighed in at 231lbs. This is a 7lb weight loss in 12 days.

• This will also lead me to measure myself again next Saturday upon Waking up, and after doing a little fasted cardio. I will continue to monitor these differences as the weeks go on

Diet Update

So far it has not been that difficult. I will outline some variations and observations below

1. My father-in-law was in town on a one day work visit so we went out to dinner. I only ate half of what I ordered and did not drink
  2. Based around my work schedule and making sure I am empty for my yohimbine I sometimes push off my afternoon “Lunch” shake until I am done working out
  3. I don’t always feel like I need a before bed shake, so I sometimes don’t
  4. When the hunger hits…it hit HARD AF. That and wanting to snack whenever I smell food is a real problem
  5. I have not been drinking my “Plazma” shake unless I am feeling really drained. I don’t need it during my workouts so I’ve skipped it most days. I sometimes have 4oz of Cranberry Juice at dinner to continue to promote my thyroid function and good hormone balances
  6. My dinners may be a little too large. Although I am experiencing weight loss, I typcially have the following. -lean protein, 1/2 cup rice, spinach, one serving of fruit, and 15-30g of almonds. I may dial back even more depedning on my weight loss this week.
  7. Lastly, last night I binged. I occasionally partake in smoking and last night I gave myself a little pass to sort of “Binge” by eating more calories. The thing I priomised myself was this- eat as much of anything you want as long as it is clean food. So last night I had 12oz steak, 1 cup blueberries, 1 orange, 3 tblsp natural peanutbutter, and 1 whole cup of rice as well as an addititional protein shake. I weighed in this morning at 237lbs still though.

Training Routine

Everything is going well with this routine. I am coming up to a “deload” week this week however, I don’t think I will be taking off for 2 reasons

1. The comp ends this month
  2. Since I am not pushing close to my 1rm my nervous system doesn’t feel taxed. My body can feel tired after workouts but I myself don’t feel in bad shape!

This is all I have for now. If anyone reading has any input feel free to share. Thanks!

2 Likes

Update Number 2:

Results

• Strength does not feel like it is going down. Maybe on some days I feel a little more drained then others, but that is life. Also it doesn’t help I live in AZ and workout in my garage where its been 115+ for the past 10 days.

• I weighed myself this past Saturday upon waking and after some activity again. Upon waking I weighed 233lbs (Down 5lbs since my last waking weight). I then proceeded to have coffee, 8oz water, and went to the driving range for 2hrs. When I came back at 9am I weigherd myself again abnd I weighed in at 226lbs. (This is a loss of 5lbs upon being empty as well!)

• So if I was to look at my weight loss it goes like this. Weighing in on Thursday May 27th I would estimate my waking weight to be around 242lbs, with my “empty” weight being 237lbs. So depending on how you spin it- ** Since beginning the diet officianlly on June 3rd (17 days), I have lost 9 - 11lbs **

Diet Update

Overview: The diet this week was both harder and a little faulty on my end…

1. The hunger was definitely worse this week but I did stick it out most days.
  2. I have quit cooking my 1 HSM/day with oil and have switched to cooking sprays
  3. I have added in Optimum Nutiriton Amino Energy as well as my 5hr energy for my “pre-workout” and have been loving it
  4. My last shake of the day has been hit or miss. If I am really hungry/had a longer day I will take it. I am still not utilizing my own “Plazma” creation as I feel like I don’t need it
  5. This past weekend I overindulged :frowning: I was coerced into going to a pool party where I had drinks (Not even close to what I would normally have) and then yesterday, Sunday June 20, I went to a co-workers “Birthday” brunch at a bar where I had both Mimosas and a meal. However, I did not eat anything else besides 2 shakes that after that. --I am a little disappointed with myself not withholding from drinking in both cases but I will NOT be drinking again until the 4th of July.
  6. Although I don’t normally rely so heavily on Supplements, I will be increasing my yohimbine intake to 24mg/day. Going to see how that affects the weight loss this week

Training Routine

Still really enjoying my trianing. Although it isn’t the formal " Velocity Diet" Workout Plan I am doing Jailhouse Strong Density Training and it is both fun and hard

• This week I got all my workouts in plus golfed
  • I tried rucking on Friday last week with my 50lbs bag in 120 degree heat. Got 2.5 miles in at a 15:40min/mile pace and was literally shaking when I got home. Completely drained. Barely got my ab work in- DEFINITELY going to keep that in my workout routine.

Only 10 more days to go, and 6 more lbs to lose. Let’s see what happens!

FINAL UPDATE FOR THE BASTARDIZED VELOCITY DIET

Well all good things must come to an end. The official weigh-in for my “Deit bet” comp is today and tomorrow and I am officially done with my experiemnt.

For those very few who have checked out my previous posts and maybe want to see the results right away, I plan to format my current post like this- results, dietary notes, training notes, overall thoughts of the experiment. This way you can skip around and read as you want- enjoy!

Results

Just like I did on May 27th, I got my Weight and Dimensions taken using an Evolt Body Scanner today, July 1, 2021 at 2:13pm

Height and Weight: 6’1 219.6 (-17.3lbs)/ (Waking weight was 224lbs so still 18lbs from the 242lbs estimated waking weight on 5/27)
LBM: 187.4 (-8.4lbs)
Body Fat Mass: 32.2 (-8.8lbs)
Body Fat Percentage: 14.3% (-3%)

Initial Thoughts: I got very excited when I saw my final weight. Losing 17.3lbs in 28 days is NUTS. My wife has been very complimentary of my body lately. I have WAY more definition in my shoulders, arms, chest, legs, and abs. I genuinely feel more comfortable taking my shirt off and even working out in my garage without a shirt now. However, the -8.4lbs in LBM got me concerned. Mainly because I didn’t feel like I have been losing muscle mass/strength that much. (I won’t lie, I did have a little drop in work capacity doing my DB Benching the past two weeks, but I will touch on that later- back to the LBM Loss)

So anyway, I decided to look at my individual Arm, Leg, Torso LBM scores from the Evolt scanner as well. Here is what I got

Scores as of 5/27/21
Skeletal Muscle Mass: 109.1lbs
Right Arm Muscle Mass: 10.3lbs
Left Arm Muscle Mass: 10.69lbs
Torso Fat Mass: 25.24lbs
Torso Lean Mass: 73.81lbs
Left Leg Muscle Mass: 27.14lbs
Right Leg Muscle Mass: 26.76lbs

Scores as of 7/1/21
Skeletal Muscle Mass: 104.7lbs (-4.3)
Right Arm Muscle Mass: 11.53 (+1.23)
Left Arm Muscle Mass: 11.88 (+1.19)
Torso Fat Mass: 22.24 (-3)
Torso Lean Mass: 79.19 (+5.38)
Left Leg Muscle Mass: 28.51 (+1.37)
Right Leg Muscle Mass: 28.18 (+1.42)

Ok, after seeing that I was like- WTF? How have I lost LBM, yet gained weight in my torso, arms, legs, while losing fat in those areas?! (PS- Wish I would have taken tape measurements in my arms, legs, and torso)Then it hit me- fluid. So after looking at that number here is what I saw

5/27 Fluid Weight: 140.9
7/1 Fluid Weight: 134.9 (-6lbs)

That lost LBM was just the fluid, not actual muscle loss, thankfully. In the end, it seems like 90+% of the weight loss was fat and some fluid! SO A HUGE SUCCESS

Diet Update

Honestly, I didn’t think this diet was that bad! I understand I used my own supplements, but regardless- it seems like you certainly don’t need to use Biotest Supps specifically to lose a substatial amount of weight in such a short time on this “diet”.

A few notes though
-I came into this knowing I would be uncomfortable at times. I knew I would get hungry and I had made peace with that well ahead of time.
-I also didn’t find the repetative shakes/food to bother me. I already eat like a dog (eating the same shit all the time) so just having some varitations in seasonings, sauces, or protein flavors kept it varied enough for me
-I used Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein, and towards the end of the diet I used Muscle Pharm Whey Protein
-I added in Optimum Nutrition BCAAs vs Plazma and still had great workouts
-I think I could have lost more weight. As mentioned in my previous posts I went out/ate out 3x this month. Was I much more behaved than “normal?” Yes. However, had I not gone out, had I not cooked with oil the first two weeks, had I used less sauce on my HSM, I truly belive I could have lost another 3+lbs potentially.

• Lastly, I truly believe my palate has changed. I certainly appreciate my meals alot more. Also the few times I went out or “splurged” the food seemed less appealing and didn’t taste as good as I had hoped. Also the few times my wife (whose idea this stupid diet bet was to begin with) tried tempting me with food it honestly didn’t seem great or desireable. I honestly would look forward to MY food vs potentially ordering food in.

Training Update

So as I mentioned in the first post of this I planned to do a Jailhouse Strong routine. I modified it for my specific needs/wants but I did it 3x/week. I then golfed 1-2x/week and rucked 3miles with 50lbs 1x/week.
During this time, I also trained straight for 5 weeks. I typically take my 4th week off as a deload and either hit some ultra high reps, simply walk, or even not lift. I pushed through those extra 2 weeks though for this comp.
Not going to lie though, working out when its 110+ degrees and 20-24% humidity in AZ for 5 weeks straight has taken its toll on me. The past week my performance did drop a bit. I got my work done, but not with that “Urgency” I normally train with. That, and a flair up this past week in my right elbow did put my DB Benching down a bit, but honestly that is the ONLY lift I saw a drop in during this whole experiement. Everything else stayed the same and I was able to hit the reps/weights I wanted to!

Closing Thoughts

After the 28 days, here are my thoughts. Do it if you want to lose weight fast, otherwise I’m a bigger propoent of going slowly. Also- do what you fucking want to. Its obvisous you don’t need to buy the Biotest Supps/workout. I clearly had great results without it, but then you should know enough about training and nutrition to do so. Otherwise your results may look like shit.

Also, take LOTS of photos and close detailed measurements (I may post photos later). As I mentioned above I wish I would have measured my arms, legs, and torso before starting- Not JUST relying on the Evolt machine.

Overall, I am beyond happy with my results over the past 28 days. My strength didn’t drop. My arms/legs/abs/chest/shoulders all look way leaner/bigger, and my love handles a lot smaller. I would consider doing this again, maybe right before summer. Certainly not more than 1-2x/year. It is a good gut check, plus a great tool to shed some fat if you’re a little fluffier than you’d like. In an ideal world, I may try this again next year when I am closer to 12-10% BF (hopefully) and see how lean I can really get.

Next Goals

Since 3 major tendon injuries, covid, and life starting I had 2 years where I trained, but it was like spinning in a hamster wheel. I really didn’t get anywhere and it sucked. NOW, I have lost 17lbs, gained confidence, have my own home gym and over the past year I have been fixing ALOT of weak points. Moving forward, I plan to focus on keeping my strength while continuing to drop BF. (My goal would be to sit around 10-12% year round). I plan to do this while doing Jim Wendlers 2x2x2 training (With some modifications). I had amazing results using Jims programming and for some reason stepped away from it. I want to use it again to maintain/gain strength back while continuing to hammer my weak points. Additionally, back when I was at my “peak” body comp I was doing Keto. I understand Keto isn’t ideal for building muscle but I am not really trying to get bigger. I genuinely don’t know if I can GET bigger without using roids- but I know I can get stronger. Basically, I want to look good and lift heavy shit. Obtaining that goal is something I have done in the past and thrived on while doing Keto. So I will be doing this with a few caveates

-I may try a 2.5 day fast to kickstart this. The year is only half over and I would LOVE to look like a fucking machine come Christmas. I know fasts can help boost HGH and I know once you eat again your muscles and stregnth POPS

• After the fast I will begin doing IF with Keto. Experimenting with it to see how my body comp changes. I did IF last year before my wedding and lost about 15lbs over 3 months (look leaner and weigh less now already). I am hoping doing it with Keto will create more permanent changes and more BF loss.
    -Depending upon a couple vacations (going to FL in Sept and wanna look giood for that too), how my diet is going, etc. Every 21-45 weeks I plan to do a “Refeed.” During the refeed I will increase my Caloric intake by 40-50% above BMR and I will switch my fats for carbs for 1 day only. Basically going to go nuts and have fun. Once that day is done- anouther 2.5 day fast.
    -I plan to slowly re-intorducing carbs into my diet once my body comp goals are met. From there I plan to focus on the normal hypertrophy/strength/hypertrophy sort of training blocks (While keeping BF low). I think I would use Stan Efferdings Vertical diet once that time comes. I enjoyed it saw very good strength gains while doing it.

That’s it for now! Have a Happy 4th of July!!

-Josh

1 Like