Bastard-Ass Punks...

I’m fuming! Earlier today I bought a two-pound canister of AST’s Vyopro protein. I just opened it, and to my great dismay I found a small quantity of some unidentified, bright orange substance mixed in with the protein. I’ve contacted AST about compensation and have yet to receive a reply, but regardless of what happens I’ll never buy any of their products again. I find it so distressing that the supplement industry is one of the few remaining where “caveat emptor” truly applies. I mean, I don’t want the federal government telling us what we can and can’t put in our bodies, but I would like some sort of assurance that I’m getting what I pay for - no more (like weird orange stuff), no less. Has anyone else had experiences with such egregious violations of label claims and/or purity standards with supplements? I would love if we could get a thread going on this topic in order to keep the rest of us well-informed.

I use optuman Whey Protien and about 5 or 6 times in the past year i have open up the canister and there was no damn scoop…luckily i have a few from past canisters.

If you’ve bought that brand before and never seen the orange stuff then return it to the store right away… yes it still sucks, but you can demand your money back. And get something else.

I bought some AST glutamine. I noticed the serving size said 10 grams, and one serving was 5 grams of glutamine. I emailed AST to ask what was in the other 5 grams of a single serving, but never got an answer. I lose trust in a company REALLY quick when they won’t answer simple questions about their own products. Also, their proteins taste nasty.

I’ve not come across any orange stuff like you have, but having tried Vyo-Pro myself recently, I noticed that my piss was practically flourescent after using it! I thought at first that I was eliminating some toxins after a workout or something, but when it happened over the next few days, I decided to swap it for other proteins I had, and it was definitely the Vyo-Pro! What the hell could be in it?! It can’t be good if it causes that, for sure…

Flourescent piss is often caused by extra vitamin B. But there was a question here many weeks ago that never got answered: someone asked about a tip they’d heard that extra-yellow urine can represent the loss of nitrogen from muscle catabolism. I’d still like to know if that one’s true.

Akicita and Iain:
I’m surprised and disappointed to hear that you’ve both had bad experiences with AST products as well. I thought they were supposed to be reputable. Well, between our fluorescent piss, 5 grams of glutamine “filler”, and random orange crud, I’ll be staying away from their products for good. I’m glad to have this info!

I was taking a multi-vitamin that would make me piss neon… kinda lights up the bathroom at night.

Yeah i am taking a multi vitamine that is making me piss neon too! Don’t get me wrong it blows my mind and i think it is pretty cool but i still am wondering if it is harmful?

The bright yellow piss you are referring to is from one of the b vitamins (I think it is B2) and it is nothing to worry about. In fact if your multivitamin does not have enough b vitamins to cause this, you are probably not taking enough B vits. So you should worry if your urine is no that color at least ocasionally. For everyone doing serious exercising/lifting at least a “B-50” per day is recommended.

Yep, I got real pissed at GNC a few weeks back. I switched to their Pro Performance whey, only 17g / serving but it’s fairly cheap. The back said serving size of 4 Tablespoons (22g). So I had been taking it about 2 weeks when I notice I’m goin through this stuff pretty damn quick. I haul out my mini-scale, sure enough, the can had 340g in it, but after putting 2 tablespoons on the scale I had 30g! That means their recommendation was off by almost 300%, means I was getting more protein than I thought in a day, but being in college on a budget it sure pissed me off. There’s my rant.

• Matt

I have found at least where I live that the best deal is actually EAS simply protein … no this is not Bill P … his piss is golden.
Anyway price wise it’s cheaper … I double the serving size for 40gr protein. My wife takes it as well so I’m always looking for a deal…some look like high protein servings but you need shovels full of the shit. The GNC versions seem cheeper until you calculate amount of protein per serving and servings per container, even with the 50% off the second one it’s not a great deal.

not to sound like an ass but maybe u guys should read the label, serving size on AST’s glutamine sez 10 grams, glutamine also sez 10 grams, so for every 10 gram serving, theres 10 grams of glutamine

Getting a deal is a fine idea, when it comes to buying cloths, gadgets and the like.

When it comes to supplements I always buy the best.And the best protein in this case is made by a little ole’ company called Biotest!

I am surprised that none of you have mentioned this so far. You really cannot beat the quality of Biotest supplements. And if any of you have ever tried Grow Protein Powder, then you know about the incredible taste!

Get all the “deals” you want when it comes to other products. When it gets down to the purhcase of your supplements, buy the best! You won’t have to worry about odd colors and being cheated out of quality in any way.

not to sound like an ass, but why the hell are you bringing a three year old topic back up.

I bought a container of Optimum creatine(I think that Optimum is a pretty stand up company) last fall and the stuff smelled like a cross between rotten feet and parmesan cheese. So depending on the time of day wheh I smelled it, it either made me hungry or sick to me stomach. (Kidding, it was a foul, foul smell). I tried to use it a couple of times but it curdled my guts. Anyways I took it back to the store where I bought and they exchanged it no problem.
The new container was fine. There is my bad supplement story.

kuz im new on here goldberg, i jsut found this site not too long ago and i was reading some of the forums

Because goths like to play with dead things!