T Nation

Basketball with your Friend vs Fighting your Friend

Someone posted an interesting question on facebook, so I responded that there is no playing in fighting. I said I wouldn't feel comfortable fighting a close friend.

What are your thoughts fellas?

Some seem to think that fighting is also a game and they wouldn't have any problems fighting a friend in competition.

Doing a combat sport with a friend: cool with that (depending on the friend). I generally only do this with people I'm at least somewhat friendly with.

Fighting with a friend: not cool with that. Unfriendly, unplanned, unpleasant.

Rules/ref/ring = game/sport IMHO.

I generally agree with batman730 but would add that the type of combat sport matters. I wouldn't have an issue with fighting a friend in a BJJ match and have done so before - Muay Thai, on the other hand, tends to be more damaging.

Spar, yes. Fight, no.

I can see why you could do bjj, or wrestling or some such with a mate, and go all out. I am also able to spar (boxing) with mates, and have fun and work towards mutual improvement. But when it comes to fighting, in a striking sport, the goal is to render the other bloke unconscious, and failing that to do as much damage and cause sufficient pain to slow them and break their will. That's not something I could do to a friend.

Also agree with batman. Real fighting (at least from my perspective) should only be done out of the need to protect oneself or one's loved ones; I would be heartbroken if one of my friends was seriously threatening my or my loved ones' lives or personal saftey. That said, I would still destroy them nonetheless.

In university I was living by the campus with two other athletes from the boxing team.
We co-existed happily for the college year, a truely positive symbiotic relationship.

One was 64kg and the other 69kg.
We represented the university in the nationals that year and scored a 64kg Gold, a 67kg Silver and a 69kg Gold.
We had a terrific party afterwards, but I’m getting off track.

We all sparred 3 times a week and I found we grew terrificly close as a result.
After the college year the guys returned to their home clubs and I turned professional.
One decided to make the cut to 67kg, the other hit the gym and grew to 67kg.
As fate would have it the boxed one another in a local club show.

A good contest the naturally bigger guy won. It was a close points decision, but feelings were hurt.
They still speak, but things have never been the same.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:
A good contest the naturally bigger guy won. It was a close points decision, but feelings were hurt.
They still speak, but things have never been the same.
[/quote]

That’s another point that goes beyond temporary or (god forbid) permanent physical damage: a prospective sports fight isn’t worth sacrificing a good friendship.

Thats a fact man