Basketball Strength Program

Info: African, quick, 18 years old, 6’1, 65kg, 1RM on bench 75kg, Bicep Curl 33kg3-4 reps. Triceps pushdown 30kg2-3reps (sorry all the info I have don’t usually keep track on that kind of information)

I have basketball practice 4 times a week every practice is 1.5 hours

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Friday
And sometimes Saturday if I don’t have games

Does anyone have a good program that I can follow? I feel that I need to add 10kgs before April, is that a possible goal?

Well since you are in-season, you are definitly going to want to make sure you keep the volume down. You might want to try lifting just twice a week, full body each time. You can go fairly heavy (but I would definitly stay away from 1RM’s and try to avoid failure to keep your CNS fresh). A sample program might look like this:

Day A
Olympic Back Squats
Bench Press
Seated Rows
Romanian Deadlifts

Day B
Front Squat
Incline Bench Press
Bentover Rows
Box Squat

Day C
Close-Stance Parallel Back Squats
Dips
Pull Ups
Good Mornings

Day D
Single-Leg Split Squats
Dumbell Incline Bench Press
Single-Arm Rows
Step Ups

Rotate those 4 days as it fits in your schedule. The most important thing is to make sure there is a full day between lifting days and any games.

For sets/reps schemes I would use 3 x 5, 4 x 4 or 5 x 3. Just make sure to keep one rep “in the tank” to make sure your CNS doesn’t get beat down. Remember that in-season, less work will often yield better results because of the volume of work you will get at practice.

Make sure to take a week off from lifting every 3 or 4 weeks.

Try that and see how you like it.