Basketball Regimen

How come you dropped the practice nights?

It may only be “just a rec league”, but as I said, basketball is a tough plyometric workout. Even the 15-25 minutes you play on Wednesday should be accounted for in programming the rest of your training.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
How come you dropped the practice nights?[/quote]

We had a gym scheduled for practice twice a week and we lost that due to another league forming. Now we only have practice once a week. On top of that, not everyone shows up for practice, so we usually wind up just doing shooting around waiting to see if anyone else shows up.

So if my options are on Tuesday:
Shoot around with the guys for about 90 minutes
or
Run some sprints and then if I feel like it go to my gym and take some shots and what

I decided the second would be more beneficial. Now if I know that we’re going to have 7-8 guys show up to practice then I’ll go because a pick up game will help my conditioning better than sprints.

[quote]shadyniner wrote:
It may only be “just a rec league”, but as I said, basketball is a tough plyometric workout. Even the 15-25 minutes you play on Wednesday should be accounted for in programming the rest of your training.[/quote]

I suppose you’re right. I know on Wednesday’s that all I day and then I also have Saturdays off. So maybe it isn’t the same as 2 days off.

If I do begin to get worn out from it then I’ll drop the conditioning day on Tuesdays.

[quote]PackFM wrote:
shadyniner wrote:
It may only be “just a rec league”, but as I said, basketball is a tough plyometric workout. Even the 15-25 minutes you play on Wednesday should be accounted for in programming the rest of your training.

I suppose you’re right. I know on Wednesday’s that all I day and then I also have Saturdays off. So maybe it isn’t the same as 2 days off.

If I do begin to get worn out from it then I’ll drop the conditioning day on Tuesdays.
[/quote]

You don’t have to drop it completely, just instead of all out sprints, take yourself through a fast paced mobility circuit, then maybe after that do some calisthenic circuits. The goal is just to work up a good sweat and do a good amount of work in about 20 to 30 minutes to up the work capacity. You can get a bit harder on yourself after the league is over and you dont have to account for 25 minutes of hard running and jumping.

You could try going to practice and then doing some conditioning at the end of practice or right after. Suicides are great for basketball conditioning.

I guess it depends on your priorities. If your goal is to be the best rec-league player you can be (that is my goal… it sounds really dumb when I type it though) then you should do a fair amount of skill work. Basketball (as I’m sure you know) is a skill game.

If your goal is to be a really fit guy who happens to play basketball, then perhaps you can skip the practice.

Haha, don’t worry about your goal, it certainly isn’t as dumb as mine! I want to hit tape measure home runs in rec league softball!! Right now, I can hit them pretty consistenly and every once in awhile I will hit one that draws some attention, but I want to hit a few tape measure shots next season. I’d also like to dunk. I will work on that goal some other time!

[quote]OBoile wrote:
If your goal is to be the best rec-league player you can be (that is my goal… it sounds really dumb when I type it though) then you should do a fair amount of skill work. Basketball (as I’m sure you know) is a skill game.[/quote]

Haha I like that…

As for it being a skills game…true, but I’m not that guy…I can always work on my inside/outside game but I’m only on the team to fill minutes and do some dirty work…

Its just that the guys on our team do so much running…its like they’re all world class sprinters, I’m just trying to keep up when I’m out there ya know?

2 actually played college basketball (Tuskegee)
1 actually played college football (Mount Union, I think)

^ I understand these aren’t big name colleges for athletics but still…

I just wanna be able to run some fast breaks with them on top of boards, picks, outside shots, screens…

I’m just waiting for work to pick up a rugby team :slight_smile: