T Nation

Basketball Offseason Training

Hey, I’m a 17 year old basketball point guard. I am beginning my offseason training in a couple weeks. I am 5’10’’ and weigh 150 pounds. My current plan is this :
Sprints early in the morning 6 days a week. 4 flat sprints; 4 flat shuffle sprints; 4 hill sprints; 4 hill shuffle sprints.
Christian Thibaudeau’s Get Strong, Get Fast, Get Vertical would be done 4 days in the late morning.
I would also do about 90 minutes of skill training per day.
For nutrition I will be eating 3 big meals a day, and 3 good sized snacks. It’ll consist mainly of bread, pasta, meat, fruits, vegetables, dairy, rice, quinoa, potatoes, peanuts and peanut butter.
Is there anything I should change or add?
Also for the Get Strong, Get Fast, Get Vertical program, the TNation article doesn’t specify how much weight to use for certain articles.
Thank you for your time.

What are you trying to accomplish before your season starts next year? Are you playing in any leagues during the off-season or summer?

I’ve trained many basketball players and the guys that make the most improvements are the guys that play the most basketball. Scrimmage, play pickup games, play against guys better than you. I don’t know where you live, but find where the college players play in the summer and get into those games. Get knocked around, get dunked on, get faked out of the gym. Study film. Go on youtube and watch as many good players that are about your size. Allen Iverson, John Stockton, Steve Kerr, Rojon Rondo, Dennis Johnson, Joe Dumars, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Isaiah Thomas (both of them). Watch how they move their feet, handle the ball, watch how they use screens, move without the ball, create space, set up plays. Time how long it takes them to run up the court. If you aren’t moving as fast you need to pick it up.

Don’t say you are going to do 90 minutes of skill work a day. That makes it sound like punishment. Don’t watch the clock. Have fun, play, you’re not in the army.

Then lift weights 3-4 days a week. Just do basic shit. Presses, Squats, Lunges, rows, pullups, abs, abs, abs,abs and more abs. If you do a leg movement and press and a row of some kind every session for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps and then throw in a ton of ab work and some curls so you can look good you’ll be fine. Use good form and try to add more weight whenever you can.

Don’t follow “vertical programs” if you want to jump higher or dunk better just practice jumping at the rim and dunking. Riding a bike uphill seems to work as well for some reason. Jump programs are dumb.

And your diet? You’re 17. Eat pizza, eat burgers, eat your fruits and vegetables but don’t be too strict. Enjoy the testosterone levels and insulin sensitivity while you got it.

Above all, make sure you are having fun. Basketball is a great sport but it is also a game and games should be fun. If you are having fun you will improve.

Just my two cents. Good luck dude, I hope you do great!!!

Off season training generally has more lifting and playing. As you approach your actual season you decrease lifting volume and increase skill work. Plyometrics don’t need to be done year round.

Here’s a general idea:

April & May are recovery months - play ball if you want, work on shooting, and do a basic total body lifting program 2-3 times a week.

(June-Aug)
Lift 4 days a week for hypertrophy
Conditioning 2 days a week. Some conditioning can be replaced by skill work if you’re working hard enough. The goal is to get bigger and stronger and maintain general aerobic fitness.

(Sept-Oct)
Increase lifting intensity to a strength phase 4 days per week.
Conditioning increases to 3-4 days a week with intensity increasing each week or two.
Continue skill work.
Add plyometrics slowly (1-2 days per week)
This phase should leave you ready for try-outs or the first week of practice. Once you’re there it’s time to switch to in-season maintenance mode.

Check out CT’s blog. Google ThibArmy. He has videos on plyos including proper technique and progression.

I’m not familiar with the program you referenced but if you like it then insert it appropriately. If it’s 8 weeks then maybe you start it in August/September and let it lead up to the start of your season.

Good points above. I’d just do sprints 2-3 days a week. 4 tops.
-6 days a week is a lot of stress on the overall system as well as likely to piss of your joints