T Nation

Basketball Dribbling Drills?

Not sure where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone had any resources as to some dribbling drills I could do by myself to improve my ball handling abilities? I play, typically at least once a week, and am in a league that will start in a few months. Last year, I handled the ball quite a bit more than I am used to and would like to improve my ball handling some to round out my abilities. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I honestly think most of the responses you’re going to get are going to be similar to this one: get out and dribble more often.

Have a pair of outside eyes (a la Shugart) and have them let you know what you need to work on. If you need to work on crossovers, do 100 crossovers on each side a day and you’ll get better at doing crossovers, do the same thing dribbling up and down a court with your weak hand and you’ll get better at weak handed dribbling.

What helped me the most was dribbling around with a ball in each hand.

For one drill, start by using your weak hand, and just dribble the ball in front of you from left to right with only that hand. Do that without looking at the ball, while keeping a low, controlled dribble and try to go for speed. Do 50 or so dribbles, then repeat with your strong hand. Next, dribble on your side with your weak hand going from front to back over and over for about 50 dribbles, then repeat with the strong hand. Then do behind the back dribbling going from left hand to right hand for 50 dribbles. You could time yourself to help check progress. This is called box dribbling, since you’re basically making a box around yourself with the pattern of the dribbling. You can do this standing or in a chair.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I honestly think most of the responses you’re going to get are going to be similar to this one: get out and dribble more often.

Have a pair of outside eyes (a la Shugart) and have them let you know what you need to work on. If you need to work on crossovers, do 100 crossovers on each side a day and you’ll get better at doing crossovers, do the same thing dribbling up and down a court with your weak hand and you’ll get better at weak handed dribbling.[/quote]

I appreciate the advice, and while that is the plan, to dribble more often, I was looking for more in the form of what to do when I am dribbling. We all know that to get stronger you have to lift often, but we don’t just go to the gym without a plan. So that is what I am looking for, a sort of plan, or drills that I can do to improve my dribbling.

I will plan to incorporate that box one in for sure. I planned to do some two ball dribbling, along with simple stuff that I used to do way back when in high school, like figure 8s, ball slaps, and a bunch of other simple stuff.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Thank you all, and feel free to chime in if you have more.

If you have about $30 dollars to plop down, I would highly recommend this video:

http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-dribbling-video/

I used it, and it highly honed my dribbling. It has 115 drills you can do to really improve your feel for the ball. They also go in depth on how to execute the main dribbling moves during in-game situations (in-out, crossover, spin, etc.). I’ve been happy with all 3 of the videos I got from Better Basketball. Unfortunately, I don’t have the money nor time to dedicate more to basketball right now, or else I would probably buy the rest.

the best videos are the pete maravich videos. theres one on everything from dribbling to shooting to passing.

Dribble a lot. That’s all you can do to get better at dribbling.

But also try dribbling in the dark or with your eyes closed. When you reach the point where you have a good handle and don’t have to look at the ball at all, you’ll be pretty good.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
the best videos are the pete maravich videos. theres one on everything from dribbling to shooting to passing.[/quote]

Homework Basketball. Good information, plus you get to watch Pistol do them for ya.

Obviously, however, the best way to get better at ball handling is to work on your handling during pickup games with your friends. Dribbling alone in your basement can only take you so far - it’s much easier to do that than pull off a move with a Bruce-Bowen-wannabe on your ass.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am checking out the pistol pete video from the library (it is so convenient that my sister works there!) I understand that the best way to get better at ball handling is to dribble in games, and I hope to play more often this summer. But hopefully some practicing in my basement can help me improve some too. I am decent now, but I have a hard time taking people to the basket off the dribble. I am more than competent bringing the ball up the floor, and not turning it over, however I want to be a better scorer. Right now, most of my scoring comes from spotting up for a shot, I want to get better at going to the basket. Again, thanks for the help guys.

[quote]shadyniner wrote:
[…] I was wondering if anyone had any resources as to some dribbling drills I could do by myself to improve my ball handling abilities?[/quote]

Lotion greatly aids dribbling. :wink:

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
shadyniner wrote:
[…] I was wondering if anyone had any resources as to some dribbling drills I could do by myself to improve my ball handling abilities?

Lotion greatly aids dribbling. ;)[/quote]

I definitely have that drill mastered…

[quote]shadyniner wrote:
I am decent now, but I have a hard time taking people to the basket off the dribble. I am more than competent bringing the ball up the floor, and not turning it over, however I want to be a better scorer. Right now, most of my scoring comes from spotting up for a shot, I want to get better at going to the basket. Again, thanks for the help guys.[/quote]

Another vote for Pistol Pete and Coach Press Maravich’s Homework Basketball. I still remember my dad bringing that home for me when I was still in middle school.

Alright bro, first thing to understand is that getting to the rack is almost completely about footwork, and we’re only talking 3-4 steps now. Next time you watch an NBA game, watch the footwork of guys like K Bryant, A Iverson, a healthy D Wade.

As you know, everything starts with that quick (and sometimes long) first step.

Now pay close attention to what these guys do after that first step: a straightline path to the finish, a reverse layup (requires an extra step), a power dribble into a jumpstop (a great move because your pivot foot isn’t established yet), a spin move, and pulling up for a short jumper are all options. And they all utilize very specific footwork patterns.

When you’re practicing, get out on the left wing and work on four-step penetrations that end in layups and reverse layups. I mean explosive moves here, not pregame layup lines stuff. Make ten and switch it over to the right side. Get that power dribble into a jumpstop down cold from everywhere on the court. These are bread-and-butter moves. Also work on your spin move in both directions and from both wings.

Your goal is to ingrain the basic footwork required for the entire drive so you can do it without thinking about it. Expect things to start slowly. But the speed will come with practice.

In a game, the defense (esp zones) will often force your decision for you, but always the goal is to force them to react to you. Now for the best players, getting to the rack (footwork and finishing) is all instinct. But with enough practice, anyone can develop the ability to play (and drive) without much thought.

Oh yeah, keep an eye on the other NBA guys too, those guys whose drives usually don’t get all to the way to the rim. Guys like P Pierce, C Anthony, even V Carter stops short very often. Watch and learn from their footwork too, because there are plenty of ways to get the job done.