Basics of Bodybuilding

Like RC says…“everybody wants to be a bodybuilder. don’t nobody want to lift no heavy a** weight!” So it’s true. I see all these people in the local gym where I train lift carelessly. Not to mention hearing some of them talking about their “diet”.

1. Eat like you have some sense.
  2. Train hard and smart.
  3. Live the bodybuilding life 100% of the time…not just part time.

Unfortunately there are so many articles that deals with nutrition, supplementation, and exercise routines that it can get confusing. When all else fails, go back to THE BASICS!

Have you guys noticed that a lot of these people on internet forums are not even big and are trying to give supplement reviews and advice to others?

I’m not huge but I’ve put on a great deal of size the correct way and it’s taken me 4 years, so far, to do so. There is no magical pill or routine or diet and this isn’t a God given talent. You have to work for it every day.

Questions or comments welcome here

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:
Like RC says…“everybody wants to be a bodybuilder. don’t nobody want to lift no heavy a** weight!” So it’s true. I see all these people in the local gym where I train lift carelessly. Not to mention hearing some of them talking about their “diet”.

2. Train hard and smart.

Unfortunately there are so many articles that deals with nutrition, supplementation, and exercise routines that it can get confusing. When all else fails, go back to THE BASICS!

Have you guys noticed that a lot of these people on internet forums are not even big and are trying to give supplement reviews and advice to others?

I’m not huge but I’ve put on a great deal of size the correct way and it’s taken me 4 years, so far, to do so. There is no magical pill or routine or diet and this isn’t a God given talent. You have to work for it every day.

Questions or comments welcome here[/quote]

Personally I think people tend to exaggerate greatly when it comes to building muscle. They’ll tell you “you’ve gotta eat all day long” “you gotta live the bodybuilding lifestyle all the time” “you gotta supplement and train your ass off”. Most of this is far from the truth. Especially when it comes to natural bb. Its not that hard to eat slightly above your maintenence calories(which is all that’s required to build maximal muscle) .its not to hard to spark a growth stimulus in the muscle(doesn’t take multiple sets of 10 different exercises). You certainly don’t have to change your life to put on some muscle and supplements are …well…a waste of money (cept a good whey protein) I don’t even hardly think about bodybuilding, I’m still in school and work a part time job, granted, I’ve got insane genetics, lol. But its seriously not as serious as people will tell you. Now, to get to the Olympia level, that’s a different story.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:

2. Train hard and smart.

Personally I think people tend to exaggerate greatly when it comes to building muscle. They’ll tell you “you’ve gotta eat all day long” “you gotta live the bodybuilding lifestyle all the time” “you gotta supplement and train your ass off”. Most of this is far from the truth. Especially when it comes to natural bb. Its not that hard to eat slightly above your maintenence calories(which is all that’s required to build maximal muscle) .its not to hard to spark a growth stimulus in the muscle(doesn’t take multiple sets of 10 different exercises). You certainly don’t have to change your life to put on some muscle and supplements are …well…a waste of money (cept a good whey protein) I don’t even hardly think about bodybuilding, I’m still in school and work a part time job, granted, I’ve got insane genetics, lol. But its seriously not as serious as people will tell you. Now, to get to the Olympia level, that’s a different story.
[/quote]

great post.

Thete is a big difference in bodybuilding and just staying fit and healthy. Whatever the goal is, in my opinion, we should always revert to proven and successful exercises, nutrition, and supplemetation (if and when needed). If a person wants to compete then absolutely dedicate 100% to it. If your wanting to live healthy and nutritious lifestyle then dedicate 100% to it. If you want to be overweight, lazy, and slothful then do it. In my opinion there is no in between.

Why do anything part-time? What benefit is there to be had?

A man can be serious and still have fun.

Good stuff

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:
Why do anything part-time? What benefit is there to be had?[/quote]

Well, a little thing called “balance”. It’s kind of important.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:

Well, a little thing called “balance”. It’s kind of important.[/quote]

I took what BigBen said as meaning “why do anything half-assed?”

Holy fuck, some good looking physiques on this thread I don’t remember seeing.

Referring to the avi for BigBen0331 and Pa22215

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:

2. Train hard and smart.

[/quote]

I agree with this as far as building muscle. Theres room for cheating and being a little lax on certain things as long as you have the basics down. The percentage of people that bodybuild and actually make a some sort of living off of it is pretty damn small. No reason to give up all the other things you enjoy in life for it. I would hate eating out of tupperware every day for the rest of my life. Or even for a full year. Ugh.

But if you want to diet to extreme leannes or for a competition, yeah, pretty much have to do the bb lifestyle thing 100% of the time. Unfortunately.

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:
Thete is a big difference in bodybuilding and just staying fit and healthy. Whatever the goal is, in my opinion, we should always revert to proven and successful exercises, nutrition, and supplemetation (if and when needed). If a person wants to compete then absolutely dedicate 100% to it. If your wanting to live healthy and nutritious lifestyle then dedicate 100% to it. If you want to be overweight, lazy, and slothful then do it. In my opinion there is no in between.

Why do anything part-time? What benefit is there to be had?

A man can be serious and still have fun. [/quote]

This sounds very hardcore, but a bit unrealistic. I think everyone can take a break from the bb lifestyle every once in a while and still acheive their goals, wheter that’s a cheat meal, a night out, or a week off from training. Even the pro’s take a break here and there.

But if someone prefers to live like a monk 100% of the time, that is okay too.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]BigBen0331 wrote:

Well, a little thing called “balance”. It’s kind of important.[/quote]

I took what BigBen said as meaning “why do anything half-assed?”[/quote]

I’d agree with that, if that’s what he meant…

But it was this that threw me: “If your wanting to live healthy and nutritious lifestyle then dedicate 100% to it. If you want to be overweight, lazy, and slothful then do it. In my opinion there is no in between.”

This is where I think some boundaries are important. I mean, I get the idea, I get the inspiration.

But if I were to give 100% to my job (which I have in the past), my social life, personal life, home life, all of that suffers. I think within any context, sure, giving your all is extremely important. You just have to have boundaries, and know your priorities when things conflict.

Levrone didn’t even train for half the year :slight_smile:

[/quote]

this post is pure gold.

if you wanna castrate yourself to eating out of tupperware everyday, chugging down an inhuman amount of random pills which are, according to the supplement company who makes a shitload of money off of it, super awesome for muscle building and doing nothing other than train, eat, sleep, repeat because it makes your little insecure self feel strong and determined, be my guest.

it is just not necessary like a lot of people (e.g. matt ogus) prove so to run around telling people to live that lifestyle because otherwise you won’t build a great physique is laughable in my opinion.

the basics are doing weightlifitng, meeting your macros (which no fuck is given about concerning the build-up of your meal-plan, if you have one) and resting enough then you can enjoy all the other beautiful things life has to offer cuz in the end, what do you have when you don’t even make money off of your sport?

[quote]Kooopa wrote:

[/quote]

this post is pure gold.

if you wanna castrate yourself to eating out of tupperware everyday, chugging down an inhuman amount of random pills which are, according to the supplement company who makes a shitload of money off of it, super awesome for muscle building and doing nothing other than train, eat, sleep, repeat because it makes your little insecure self feel strong and determined, be my guest.

it is just not necessary like a lot of people (e.g. matt ogus) prove so to run around telling people to live that lifestyle because otherwise you won’t build a great physique is laughable in my opinion.

the basics are doing weightlifitng, meeting your macros (which no fuck is given about concerning the build-up of your meal-plan, if you have one) and resting enough then you can enjoy all the other beautiful things life has to offer cuz in the end, what do you have when you don’t even make money off of your sport?[/quote]

The main difference is gaining muscle vs competing in bodybuilding. If you want to compete and have a balanced lifestyle, there is going to be at least 1 guy you compete against who does not have a balanced lifestyle and gives 100% to bodybuilding. Guess who is going to win.

[quote]Kooopa wrote:

[/quote]

this post is pure gold.

the basics are doing weightlifitng, meeting your macros (which no fuck is given about concerning the build-up of your meal-plan, if you have one) and resting enough then you can enjoy all the other beautiful things life has to offer cuz in the end, what do you have when you don’t even make money off of your sport?[/quote]

That makes 2 pure gold in 1 tread.

Are we talking sticky ? I vote so !

At least it made my favorite list.

I wonder how many folks with crap genetics that have built awesome physiques left a quarter or more of their meals a week to chance? Highly refined but tasty and convenient vs high quality but time consuming? shrug

Your goals will dictate the level of effort and sacrifice required.

[quote]giograves wrote:
I wonder how many folks with crap genetics that have built awesome physiques left a quarter or more of their meals a week to chance? Highly refined but tasty and convenient vs high quality but time consuming? shrug

Your goals will dictate the level of effort and sacrifice required. [/quote]

what is a high quality meal and what is a refined?

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]giograves wrote:

[/quote]

I think he means something you cooked yourself and know where all the healthy ingredients come from vs going to McDonalds and getting a hamburger.

[quote]jldume wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]giograves wrote:

[/quote]

I think he means something you cooked yourself and know where all the healthy ingredients come from vs going to McDonalds and getting a hamburger.
[/quote]

how does

• a gram of protein
  • a gram of carbohydrate
  • a gram of fat
    differ in a mcdonalds burger from a homecooked meal consisting of chicken breast, rice, olive oil & broccoli?
    if you have any biochemical knowledge whatsoever your answer would be “none that affects digestion in any way possible whatsoever”. it’s about meeting the amount of macronutrients every day by not being a complete idiot about micronutrients which you obviously need and obviously also are more present in the homecooked meal i described above.

so, in a contest prep, you’ll reach a point where it’s simply not possible to eat any higher-density caloric food without starving yourself because of the limited amount of macros you’re allowed to take in each day. THAT is what makes you eat only the most filling foods like meat, rice/pasta/potatoes and so forth, not the fact that those foods are magically better than e.g. mcdonald’s macronutrient-wise.

this is exactly the kind of bullshit that everybody repeats like a lamb in the hardcore bodybuilding corner but nobody has any idea what they’re talking about. the idea of critical thinking seems completely abstract to some.

I let Shelby write my diet and training for the last 3 months. Here’s a quote from him in his first email with my first training split:

" In bodybuilding, as with most things in life, longevity is much more important than quick gains. The trainer who plugs along at 90% for 10 years will always beat the trainer who pushes things 110% for 3 years, gets injured and/or burned out, and quits."

Ain’t nothing wrong with just moving along in “autopilot” mode.