T Nation

Basic vs Auxilary

Ive heard from a website that auxilary exercises place more relative intensity on a muscle than a basic exercise. Arnold presses are an auxilary exercise so does that mean it will get you better lateral shoulder results than db military presses will?

Ok people viewed this like 50 fucking times and didnt respond once so i’ll make it simpler. Which is a better shoulder exercise for shoulder size and width/lateral delt development: arnold presses or db military presses?

They’re almost the exact same exercise! To build any muscle, you need a mix of the basic stuff and the auxiliary stuff. You don’t get big arms from doing concentration curls and preacher curls. You need to do chins, rows and barbell curls too.

You don’t get a big chest from flyes and pushups, you need basic barbell bench presses as well.

It will take more than one exercise to hit the shoulders. You’ll need some overhead presses or military presses along with lateral raises and other “isolation” exercises, as well as Arnold presses or dumbbell presses.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
They’re almost the exact same exercise! To build any muscle, you need a mix of the basic stuff and the auxiliary stuff. You don’t get big arms from doing concentration curls and preacher curls. You need to do chins, rows and barbell curls too.

You don’t get a big chest from flyes and pushups, you need basic barbell bench presses as well.

It will take more than one exercise to hit the shoulders. You’ll need some overhead presses or military presses along with lateral raises and other “isolation” exercises, as well as Arnold presses or dumbbell presses.[/quote]

Thanks, makes sense. So how many shoulder exercises should i be doing a week? How many compounds and how many isolations alltogether in a week?

Jeez man, that’s hard to say. It’s going to depend on your goals and what bodyparts need more emphasis. And whatever works for now won’t work forever. You’ll eventually have to change some exercises and also your set/rep parameters.

You should check out CT’s “Superhero” workout. It focuses a lot on the shoulders, chest and arms in different phases. I used it for 8-weeks and I was able to see differences by the third week of the first two phases (four weeks per phase, there are a total of 12 weeks = three phases).

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=469072

I searched for “shoulders”. This is the first one to come up…

Thanks. I just registered here today and the articles have really nice stuff about shoulders. I found the Unwinding press and might add that to my shoulder routine.