T Nation

Basic Routine

Just starting to get into oly lifting. Found this routine and I think it looks alright, tell me what you think:

It’s alright, but why just 3 days? The key is doing the lifts often.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It’s alright, but why just 3 days? The key is doing the lifts often.[/quote]

What would you suggest then?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It’s alright, but why just 3 days? The key is doing the lifts often.[/quote]

What would you suggest then?

[/quote]
Training 4-5x a week, the more the better. Four times is fine for now. Starting tomorrow I’ll be doing 8 sessions total spread over the week. Basically 4 lifting days, with a AM/PM session.

Here’s one I like:

http://www.qwa.org/programs/tadv13.asp … It has percentages, but you can alter it for yourself.

I’ll be making a thread for my Oly lifting log on this forum instead of training logs soon, so you’ll have some ideas there too.

I’d say that if your just getting into the lifts that about 3 days a week is fine considering that for most ppl the lifting is really hard on the joints until you get use to it. The workout in the link u posted looks like it has a lot of useless stuff in it. Just stay with the full lifts and squat and maybe some pulls and once weakness appear u can add in other assistant lifts.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It’s alright, but why just 3 days? The key is doing the lifts often.[/quote]

What would you suggest then?

[/quote]
Training 4-5x a week, the more the better. Four times is fine for now. Starting tomorrow I’ll be doing 8 sessions total spread over the week. Basically 4 lifting days, with a AM/PM session.

Here’s one I like:

http://www.qwa.org/programs/tadv13.asp … It has percentages, but you can alter it for yourself.

I’ll be making a thread for my Oly lifting log on this forum instead of training logs soon, so you’ll have some ideas there too.[/quote]

Ok, thanks for the advice. The only problem with that routine is, it sais at the top “It is aimed at a lifter with an advanced level of technique.” Definitly dont have that, so I think ill just keep looking.

Okay, I’ll admit that I didn’t open the link and look at the program, but here is my opinion (based on 9 years of lifting).

Beginners don’t need to do the lifts more than 3 times per week. If you feel you need more days, you can perform your strength lifts on the other days. Perform Snatch and C&J on each day. Work up to 12-15 singles of each lift with a short rest in between. Google glenn Pendlay as he has really good program information for beginners.

Yeah they make good points about a beginning lifter. 3x a week is just fine.

There’s a thread on the second page over in the powerlifitng forum started by Xen Nova that has a few very (very, very) helpful links included. Some insight into old Bulgarian protocols and some basic training guidelines from Coach Dan John among them. Just look for the thread with “Olympic Lifting” in the title, in the PL forum. Great stuff…

The others failed to mention that a coach is the number one way to learn the olympic lifts. Unless you have someone who knows what they’re doing by watching and correcting your form, it’s a VERY difficult sport to teach yourself. A great book was written by Tommy Kono (who is an American Olympic legend) called “Weightlifting- Olympic Style”. I definately recommend it to anyone. You’ll see that he is an advocate of the 3 days per week training schedule. Good luck and train safe.