Basic Riders Course: Complete

Here is my monster of a first bike - a Honda NSR 150RR. It’s a two stroke weapon, nice, light, fast and a ton of fun.

I know most guys go for the bigger bikes, but I don’t have to prove myself…just cause you’ve got a big bike doesn’t mean you’ve got a big dick. I think it’s the whole male ego thing popping up again with big bikes. My bike doesn’t have a huge engine, but I can get it from 0-100km/h in 3 seconds.

I’d rather have something light and easy to handle that I can pick up and throw around, a pocket rocket, than be riding on a bulky two-wheeled bus. It’s also safer for newer riders too, and safety is what is paramount on the road.

That NSR is sweet…I would have killed for an NSR when I was younger. I see you’re in Australia…In North America (especially Canada) the NSR’s, and basically any of the old school 2 stokers are pretty hard to come by and if you do find one, it’s probably been abused to the max and incredibly hard to get parts for.

Having said that, noting wakes you up faster than when a 2 stroke decides to hit it’s power band…weapon is right! I had a 97 CR 125R, right when 2 stroke technology was peaking, and wow, that thing went like crazy.

I’m a little Jealous.

I raced an Aprilia 250 and could take club-level 600s with ease as long as I kept it on the pipe. As Johnny said, having a bike you can easily throw around makes a difference.

You pretty much have to be a 2-stroke mechanic, though; there aren’t many good 2-stroke engine men left around.

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
I raced an Aprilia 250 and could take club-level 600s with ease as long as I kept it on the pipe. As Johnny said, having a bike you can easily throw around makes a difference.

You pretty much have to be a 2-stroke mechanic, though; there aren’t many good 2-stroke engine men left around.[/quote]

Can you run a 2 stroke on the road in California these days?

I think I read somewhere that 2 stroke bikes are no longer legal on US roads due to the fact that they are more polluting than 4 strokes in terms of greenhouse emissions. But Australia was one of the only countries not to sign the Kyoto Protocol so it’s still legal to own and ride a 2 stroke on the road over here. Lucky me, lol.

I want to move to the US in the near future and I’d love to bring my bike with me, but I guess I’ll have to sell it before I go.

[quote]Gymguy17 wrote:
That NSR is sweet…I would have killed for an NSR when I was younger. I see you’re in Australia…In North America (especially Canada) the NSR’s, and basically any of the old school 2 stokers are pretty hard to come by and if you do find one, it’s probably been abused to the max and incredibly hard to get parts for.

Having said that, noting wakes you up faster than when a 2 stroke decides to hit it’s power band…weapon is right! I had a 97 CR 125R, right when 2 stroke technology was peaking, and wow, that thing went like crazy.

I’m a little Jealous.[/quote]

Thanx man, yeah I wanted a GSX-R but for some reason decided that an NSR is for me. I like the fact that they are so zippy and easy to handle. Mine is an asian import, and is near new, having only done 4,500kms (2796 miles) so the engine is barely even run in yet. Parts are cheap and easy to come by as well.

I also have an old Yamaha Virago cruiser but it’s nowhere near as fun to ride as the NSR. The Honda is addictive to ride and is such a blast. Even going to the shops for something as mundane as milk and bread becomes a fun experience.

I love just twisting the throttle wide open and leaving the rest of traffic in my dust. lol

I bought my 93 zx7 used for 2300.00. I bought a used bike cuz i figured ide drop it a few times befor i figured out what 1 was doing. I had plans to sell it and buy new bike for 10 grand. Thankfully I came to my senses and had it painted to cover up my oops and ouch. Now I cant stay off my zx7. Good luck and rubber side down.