T Nation

Basic Military Training

So I joined the Air National Guard in October, and I'll probably be leaving for training around summertime. My worry is that during training I'll lose some muscle mass and progress that I've gained over the past year and a half.

From what I know about the training, guys who just got out have told me they work out in the morning by either running and sprinting, or doing bodyweight exercises and there is no gym for trainees on base. The air force feeds you Well and I'll get plenty of food, but I won't get much sleep. The training is 8.5 weeks long, and then I have tech school for 3 months.

Tech school will be easier as after our duties for the day are over we are allowed to do whatever, so while most people will be going to the club's I'll be in the gym.

My main question is that is there anything I could do to prepare myself and limit the damage done in those 2 months of no lifting?

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:
My worry is that during training I’ll lose some muscle mass and progress that I’ve gained over the past year and a half.[/quote]
Congrats on the decision, man. But yeah, there have been a bunch of threads here over the years talking about military training, and some level of weight loss/muscle loss is pretty much a given. The good news is that you’ll bounce back relatively-quickly once you return to a regular routine with consistent lifting. You’re definitely not going to lose 18 months’ progress in 8 weeks.

I’d probably avoid crap food as best as possible, obviously, and, if you can do bodyweight stuff, work on challenging versions of the basic moves a few days a week. Like, work on one-arm press variations and pistol squats instead of just knocking out 50+ rep sets.

You’ll be fine. 8 weeks is nothing.

Thanks for the responses guys.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:
My worry is that during training I’ll lose some muscle mass and progress that I’ve gained over the past year and a half.[/quote]
Congrats on the decision, man. But yeah, there have been a bunch of threads here over the years talking about military training, and some level of weight loss/muscle loss is pretty much a given. The good news is that you’ll bounce back relatively-quickly once you return to a regular routine with consistent lifting. You’re definitely not going to lose 18 months’ progress in 8 weeks.

I’d probably avoid crap food as best as possible, obviously, and, if you can do bodyweight stuff, work on challenging versions of the basic moves a few days a week. Like, work on one-arm press variations and pistol squats instead of just knocking out 50+ rep sets.[/quote]

^This is good advice. Im military myself and unfortunatley, its the nature of the beast. It’s pretty hard to maintain a certain physique when you have drill sergeants screaming at you to do something to effect it. But it’s what you signed up for. We signed to serve a purpose. A proud one where that purpose usually doesnt pertain to caring about you’re physique, just if you pass the physical and body fat requirements.

2 months is nothing. Probably was the easiest 2 months of my life. Dont be a target. Once you’re targeted, it’s going to be long a long 2 months.

when I was in army basic training several years ago I found that the dining facility had these ketchup sized packets of peanut butter. I would grab about 15 at a time and set a world record for most peanut butter consumed in the 5mins they give you to eat. I did it basically at every meal, but you are going to lose weight regardless and strength just from the running and stressful nature. Don’t worry too much.

[quote]cparker wrote:
when I was in army basic training several years ago I found that the dining facility had these ketchup sized packets of peanut butter. I would grab about 15 at a time and set a world record for most peanut butter consumed in the 5mins they give you to eat. I did it basically at every meal, but you are going to lose weight regardless and strength just from the running and stressful nature. Don’t worry too much.[/quote]

Let’s hope the air force has those haha.

I’m not too super worried, I’ll have a few months in tech school afterwards where I’ll be doing nothing but studying, training, lifting, and eating, so I should be able to gain it back then.

I was jus wondering if there was anything to minimize the inevitable.

Wouldn’t worry about it -thanks to muscle memory it will all come back in a couple of weeks if you eat big