T Nation

Basic First Program

Hi,

I’ve been lifting for half a year on and off and finally decided I should stop worrying about every little detail, make a straight forward plan, stick to it for a good few months, eat big and get big.

I want to know if I should expect some good gains with this program I’ve thought up:

Bulgerian Split Squats 3x10
Front Squats 3x10
Romanian Deadlifts 3x10 **
Shoulder Press 3x10
Ab Rollout

Feet Elevated Push Ups 3x15
Incline Bench 3x10
Flat Flys 3x10
Skull Crushers 3x10
Weighted Situps

OFF

Pull Ups 3x6
Bent Over Dumbell Raise 3x10
Bent Over Rows 3x10
Barbell Curls 3x10
Ab Rollout

OFF

**The RDL’s are mainly for form and finishing off the posterior chain as its my biggest weak point.

I dont know how balanced this program is, or if its enough, but I’m eating big with a lot of protein. I also only have access to a cheap bench with a barbell and some dumbells. [maximum of 90KG]

Ben_vfr85

Age?

Numbers?

Goals?

Looks good. A little confused about the shoulder presses on leg day, but w/e. Just lift heavy, eat enough and rest enough.

Current pic after a month lifting.

I’m 23, 5’9", 150lbs at what I estimate 15% bodyfat [visible abs, atleast]

Main aim is to increase muscle mass, secondary is strength. Not lifting for anything sports specific.

I had a motorcycle accident at the start of this year and tore tendons in my shoulder. I find that lifting had helped me considerably, but if I bench heavy and press heavy it starts to hurt in a not-so-great way. Dont want to stress it too much all at once if that makes any sense. If I seperate the two, I get considerably less pain.

Deadlift all of the massive 90KG [not fantastic form but I feel it in the right places]
Bench 60KG for 5 reps
Front Squat 45KG for 2x15

Waiting to buy a squat rack at the moment! Then more weights. Focusing on form above max lifts.

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
I’m 23, 5’9", 150lbs at what I estimate 15% bodyfat [visible abs, atleast]

Main aim is to increase muscle mass, secondary is strength. Not lifting for anything sports specific.[/quote]

Your muscles won’t grow without getting stronger. I don’t understand why everyone separates the two. Unless you are trying to get stronger while staying in a weight class, you need to focus on both. Even if you are in a weight class, the strongest lifts are from the biggest people.

You want to get stronger while making the target muscle do the work. Don’t get caught up in “just getting the weight up” if you goal is aesthetics, pay attention to working the target muscle.

Also diet is going to be very important. At your size there is no need to be a macro nazi. Just eat, get in a lot of protein, and make sure you don’t live off of bullshit food. You can get some Wendy’s now and again, but don’t survive off of junk. But you won’t gain near optimal muscle without some fat gain, but that doesn’t mean you need to gain 80lbs of fat to gain 20lbs of muscle. Just don’t be a dumbass.

Personally, I would make sure you get your form in check (Do the lifts in a way that is pain free) before I worried about loading then. If you have seen a medical professional and your good to lift, do so, but make sure you are safe. Once you get your form down, load up and lift your ass off.

Very few people have visible abs at 15%. I’d say more like 10-12%.

[quote]WP wrote:

[/quote]

Jesus Christ. Everyone is different, and it’s irrelevant.

I meant lift numbers when I asked, and if your okay with your current BF, as in you feel okay with you body image, who gives a fuck what number it is. Until you are looking to get on stage or do a photo shoot it is irrelevant. Your time is better spend worrying about the number of plates on the bar rather than the % of fat covering your abs.

Didnt mean to sound like I was separating the two, I was just pointing out I’m not bothered about how much I can bench, dead, or squat cause theres always stronger people out there. But if I can put on muscle and keep everything in proportion, well, thats my main aim. I want to get considerably stronger, but that in my mind, is just a side effect of good form, good diet and months of consistant smart training. I want to focus on controlling the weight with my form, than go too heavy and risk injury.

Shoulder is fine, the doc advised I try to strengthen it. He said it might play up sometimes and just listen to my body, but it’s pretty much fully recovered.

Dont worry I’m not bothered about getting fat! I want to bulk to 180lbs then see where I am appearance and health wise.

WP, I know people always think they’re lower body fat than they are, so I went for caution! lol

This is what I’ve eaten today:

Large bowl of porridge with coconut and protein powder

Rice, fish and veg with chopped tomato

Pasta and Bolognaise

Buttered Toast [had a craving!]

Shake with creatine, protein etc

Some of those no-bake cookies from this site which are great

Just had a load of nuts and some fruit

All proper meals take up a large plate, by my calculations I’m getting around 3000cals, maybe a little less, maybe a little more, but its all I can comfortably eat right now. Should be enough?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
WP wrote:

Jesus Christ. Everyone is different, and it’s irrelevant.

I meant lift numbers when I asked, and if your okay with your current BF, as in you feel okay with you body image, who gives a fuck what number it is. Until you are looking to get on stage or do a photo shoot it is irrelevant. Your time is better spend worrying about the number of plates on the bar rather than the % of fat covering your abs.[/quote]

I just wanted to add that information in since his estimation was clearly wrong. Don’t get your knickers in a twist. Did I say “diet down to blah blah %”? No, so be quiet.

If that post would have ahd any negative baring on the OPs progress then it might be enough of an issue to warrant a post in response. However, it will not since it has no inclination towards him to take any action against it, if anything, it may aid him so he doesn’t mistake himself for being “too fat to bulk”, which is clear that he needs to do.

Leave me alone.

Why are you even wasting your time in a pissing match about whether the op is 10-15-20% bf? Does it really matter to answer his questions? Do calipers or sitting next to the op even matter? Follow your own avatar and STFU.

To the op:

The program looks fine, just make sure you are consistent in your lifting and plan to spemd a lot more than a “few months” to get near your goals. Off and on does not do it. You need to be consistent in the gym and at the table, as well as getting enough rest. You cannot accept any excuses your mind formulates to get you to skip workouts. This is a lifestyle. Welcome.

Thanks

Training will be easy to stick to, as will the diet, but my shifts at work are all over the place so consistant sleep will sometimes be difficult and I know muscles arent made in the gym!

Is there anyone who works shift patterns that start early [Up at 4AM, then start late [finishing at 2AM or later?] who can give me any tips on trying to get the most out of my sleep?

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
trying to get the most out of my sleep?

[/quote]

Z-12

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
Thanks

Training will be easy to stick to, as will the diet, but my shifts at work are all over the place so consistant sleep will sometimes be difficult and I know muscles arent made in the gym!

Is there anyone who works shift patterns that start early [Up at 4AM, then start late [finishing at 2AM or later?] who can give me any tips on trying to get the most out of my sleep?

[/quote]

What is your swing like?

I did it for a summer, and my step father has doen shift work for years.

All over the shop - one week it starts as earlies, another it starts on lates there’s no real pattern to it!

Generally it goes:

monday: 5AM-2
tuesday: 430AM-1.30
wednes: off
thurs: off
fri: 3-11
sat: 5-2AM
sun: 5-2AM

P.S: I dont make a habbit of gobbling fruity nuts :wink:

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
All over the shop - one week it starts as earlies, another it starts on lates there’s no real pattern to it!

Generally it goes:

monday: 5AM-2
tuesday: 430AM-1.30
wednes: off
thurs: off
fri: 3-11
sat: 5-2AM
sun: 5-2AM[/quote]

Dude, that blows. I got nothing for a swing like that. I’ve done week to week, but never during the week like that.

But they gives you da big gains

Haha I’ll take your word for that!

Thats why I need a new job - simply so I can actually get some sort of structure and life!

Cheers anyway

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
Thats why I need a new job - simply so I can actually get some sort of structure and life!

[/quote]

Yeah man, shift work is a bitch. I don’t envy you at all.

Can I know why please?

I think I know why, but it would be nice to know if disagreeing with a particular poster is going to get my posts deleted going forward.

I have said nothing inflammatory, or even that immature. I didn’t break any posting rules laid out in the past, and I didn’t link or put down this site in any way.

If certain posters can’t deal with people disagreeing with them, maybe they shouldn’t post rather than have the opposing opinion deleted?