Bashing of Bodybuilders: Why?

Oh yeah, women often do NOT appreciate bodybuilding style eating.

My best moment of that was going with a group of women (I was the only guy, excluding any kids that were brought). I was on the Anabolic Diet and forgot to bring a fat source. Can’t remember if I brought a protein source (probably did) or acquired one there. But there was no vendor offering a suitable fat source.

Luckily, one of the women brought a jar of mayonnaise and had an extra spoon.

So I just ate sufficient mayonnaise straight for my fat source.

The horror and shock… :slight_smile:

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Insecurty 100% in my opinion. [/quote]

agreed. Both sides. The criticizer and those that are offended by it.
Who gives a shit?

People don’t like the idea of someone being more dedicated than them. Practically everyone I know (except my mom - lol) are shocked when I go to the gym on a friday night instead of go to the city for no reason. It’s like they somehow can’t understand how someone can enjoy training in the gym and eating right. It’s as if the only fun they know is the self-destruction of booze.

Are you people experiencing this bodybuilder bashing by pts in life or online? I have yet to see it in person.

I don’t give a shit either(in a loving way of course) I don"t look for approval in others- I read about one pro body builder who would cover his body in baggy clothes when out in public-forgot his name but he was massive-I can see his motivation he’s doing it for himself.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
People don’t like the idea of someone being more dedicated than them. Practically everyone I know (except my mom - lol) are shocked when I go to the gym on a friday night instead of go to the city for no reason. It’s like they somehow can’t understand how someone can enjoy training in the gym and eating right. It’s as if the only fun they know is the self-destruction of booze.[/quote]

Im the same way and couldnt agree more, to some people if its a weekend day and your not drunk theres a problem yet I think its a problem some people are like that

Hey c’mon now, lets leave the drunks out of this. Some people make a good living off of them! :slight_smile:

To the poster who mentioned eating mayo straight out of the jar, that, even I have to admit, and I’ve done some fucked up shit (like trying Matarazzo’s Tuna and Diet Coke shakes back in the day) is kinda hardcore, especially being around a bunch of non lifting females at the time. And fuck, I like mayo, lol.
I do know what you mean though. I’ve drank olive oil in front of people and had them almost vomit. Remember being at work and having a customer freak out because on my break I was eating Corn Flakes with vanilla whey on them instead of milk. Like, this bitch threw a FIT. Some people are just weird.

I do feel a lot of people in general bash bodybuilder’s due to jealousy, or just misunderstanding. Truthfully, a lot of people find pro bodybuilders gross. Even tons of my friends who work out and are actively trying to get bigger find pro level bb’ers disgusting, which I think is generally what people think of when they hear ‘bodybuilding’. I don’t happen to. Training is also addictive to me, just like some say tattoo’s, piercings, etc are for them. Get one, want more. It’s like the more muscle you see added to your frame, the more you want. I can totally understand how guys get to wanting to look like Jay Cutler. Most people will never have that understanding though, hence the ‘anyone that extreme with it must have a tiny cock’ stuff.

As far as people already in a fitness/gym/strength field who bash them, I think that comes down to jealousy. Some people can’t handle the fact that they weren’t born to look superhuman, no matter how much effort they put in, and then concentrate on something else, say, pure strength. “Well, I’m stronger than those guys…”

I’m also sure a LOT of those same people who get into strength sports, etc, way way back, got the initial motivation by seeing guys like Arnold, which is ironic. Before you become educated, you simply think bigger muscles = stronger guy, which you find out later isn’t always necessarily the case. However, all of this ‘bodybuilder’s being weak’ shit has to go. I’ve yet to see a guy 260 ripped lbs that is weak.

And funny enough, it’s never guys like Louie Simmons or any other big time powerlifter I heard spreading that shit, lol. The most I hear them say is they’re weaker comparatively in a lower rep range. It’s always the class IV ‘powerlifter’ that just started ‘doin Westside’ 3 weeks ago that sprout off about that shit. Yeah, some of these guys who can hit 405 on bench for 12 reps may only have a 1rep of like 485-500 (since they don’t spend the time training for the 1 rep), which may be ‘low’ for being able to hit 405 for 12 to 15 , but end results is what we’re talking here, and a 500 lbs bench is not weak by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t give a fuck who you’re talking to.

Even Dave Tate when talking about his like 570 bench in the past said it was puny…BY WESTSIDE STANDARDS. Not puny like it was a pussy number to be throwing up, and that guy had been spending the better part of two decades using max effort days, dynamic days, tons of form work, etc, to get to that point. For some pro’s to be slightly lighter and only like 70-100 lbs under that having spent virtually no time training for a 1 rep is remarkable actually, even taking any drugs/genetics into consideration. I know this wasn’t about powerlifters per say, and I now spend the majority of my training time doing more ‘strength oriented’ type work and in a gym where almost everyone on the PL team is in the top 10 in the nation in their weight class.

I have mucho respect for PL’ers and tend to identify closer with them nowadays than bodybuilders. I just see a lot of guys on the web running their ‘internet traps’ about how weak bodybuilders are, and they usually identify themselves as ‘powerlifters’. Those are the people, to me, where it all comes down to jealousy.

[quote]BlackSabbath wrote:
Are you people experiencing this bodybuilder bashing by pts in life or online? I have yet to see it in person.[/quote]

more online than in person, but at least 1x a day I’ll get some smartass remarck or action. I generally just ignore it and add another plate. lol

I was in costco the other day and had two geeks mimic the way I was pushing my cart. My chest sticks out in front of my body like (normal) but apparently one of the doods had to pump his chest up and pretend to walk like he’s swole. lol I just asked if they had a problem and their laughter stopped then they turned the corner.

So yes, it happens in real life too. Not gonna speak for X but I would bet my money he has dealt with stupid stuff on more than one occasion. lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
BlackSabbath wrote:
Are you people experiencing this bodybuilder bashing by pts in life or online? I have yet to see it in person.

more online than in person, but at least 1x a day I’ll get some smartass remarck or action. I generally just ignore it and add another plate. lol

I was in costco the other day and had two geeks mimic the way I was pushing my cart. My chest sticks out in front of my body like (normal) but apparently one of the doods had to pump his chest up and pretend to walk like he’s swole. lol I just asked if they had a problem and their laughter stopped then they turned the corner.

So yes, it happens in real life too. Not gonna speak for X but I would bet my money he has dealt with stupid stuff on more than one occasion. lol

DG[/quote]

You mean like walking into Wal-Mart and having a group of teenagers yell out, “steroids!!” from across the store late at night only to get real quiet the closer you get to them?

Most of my experiences are positive, however, I get the feeling that if I appeared more approachable, I would hear a lot more of the dumbass comments. I think I look intimidating to some people which is why I don’t get it more. They probably wait until they get home. I just get stared at.

It happens in person like DG suggested, or behind your back when you leave the room.

Have you ever been with a group of girls and an attractive female walks by and they are nice while she is there… but call her a skank or say she probably doesn’t eat when she’s gone? Same thing with BBers…

“It’s all roids man”
“I could look like that too if all I did was work out” etc

We are freaks to everyone else though no doubt. If snickering and comments like that bug someone a lot they should either never get noticeably big and or lean(if you take your shirt off) or be prepared to get into a lot of altercations with people. Best thing is to learn to take it in stride.

haha I have a somewhat funny story to tell, at least it’s funny to bodybuilders.

My friend and I were out to lunch the other day. He’s a competitive bodybuilder and shaves his head. He has a vein thats visible on the left side of his head sometimes. The waitress who we half know (been eating at this place for a while) comes up to him and goes…“whoa you got a huuge vein on your head and your arms too”…my friend turns to her and says “thanks”.

I think he took it as a compliment when she was freaked out by it. lol

I was just sitting their laughing.

DG

I think it’s a bit ironic that there is a thread full of bodybuilders talking about why people bash them, and you guys conclude that the bashers are the only ones that are insecure… Who cares what people think as long as you are achieving your goals?

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I think it’s a bit ironic that there is a thread full of bodybuilders talking about why people bash them, and you guys conclude that the bashers are the only ones that are insecure… Who cares what people think as long as you are achieving your goals?[/quote]

Because it’s somewhat of an interesting phenomenon, seeing as how this site has traditionally been a “bodybuilding” site. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen too many financial advice sites for instance where the authors bash financially successful people.

Or (since I know you post in the Combat sports forum often) martial arts sites where the authors bash successful martial artists, or the arts themselves.

It seems like BB’ing is the only area that I see this commonly occuring in.

One more vote for insecurity and playing to pop culture’s misinformed notion of BB’ing.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Insecurty 100% in my opinion.

I agree. There is no other reason for it. If someone makes a comment about someone’s dick size whenever the topic of bodybuilding comes up, that says more about that person than the one they are trying to degrade.

It makes them feel better…until they look in the mirror.[/quote]

Nobody makes fun of Reggie Bush who is ripped, so I doubt it’s insecurity.

Personally I think PRO bodybuilders are disgusting, freakish, and obsessive to the point of permanently hurting their bodies by taking massive amounts of steroids. Nothing against people just trying to look good or bodybuilding training.

everyone is insecure. On one side, there are insecure people talking about bodybuilders and their insecurities - on this site insecure bodybuilders talk about outsiders and their insecurities.

If people from both sides took the tine to see where the other is coming from, and then reflect on where they THEMSELVES are coming from - we would all get along and smoke pot together.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I think it’s a bit ironic that there is a thread full of bodybuilders talking about why people bash them, and you guys conclude that the bashers are the only ones that are insecure… Who cares what people think as long as you are achieving your goals?[/quote]

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
I think it’s a bit ironic that there is a thread full of bodybuilders talking about why people bash them, and you guys conclude that the bashers are the only ones that are insecure… Who cares what people think as long as you are achieving your goals?

Because it’s somewhat of an interesting phenomenon, seeing as how this site has traditionally been a “bodybuilding” site. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen too many financial advice sites for instance where the authors bash financially successful people.

Or (since I know you post in the Combat sports forum often) martial arts sites where the authors bash successful martial artists, or the arts themselves.

One more vote for insecurity and playing to pop culture’s misinformed notion of BB’ing.[/quote]

Good points, but I still think that everyone is going to get ridiculed from time to time. I’ve heard accusations that people in high-paying jobs have poor marriages/friendships and that grapplers are gay.

But the guy in the nice car is probably going to say “F-U loser” and go to his hot gf. It seems like bodybuilders take the bashing a bit more personally but maybe I don’t understand because I’m not growing out of XXL t-shirts like a few guys on this forum.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
chitown34 wrote:

One more vote for insecurity and playing to pop culture’s misinformed notion of BB’ing.[/quote]

yea agreed were disscusing out past expirences whats wrong with that??

Well first off bodybuilders themselves are some of the most insecure athletes on the planet… maybe fighters(MMA) being a distant second.

If you take an insecure person and put 50 lbs of muscle on him, it doesn’t make him a secure person automatically… those insecurities that drove him to bodybuilding in the first place are still in tact.

This isn’t everyone, but a large percentage of bodybuilders in my opinion. Of course guys like that are going to take things more personally and vent about it.

Secondly, no other hobby or sport do you “wear” around like bodybuilding 24/7 unless you count people that tattoo or pierce themselves dozens of times.

Grapplers that get mocked are only grapplers while they are training or in competition, the other 22 hours of the day they are Joe Average and nobody gives a crap what they do for fun 3 nights a week. Even in a sweat shirt you can’t hide 250 lbs of mostly lean muscle… the comments and the looks never stop.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, but Reggie Bush is no where near BB’ing levels of muscularity. That’s the point.

[quote]
Personally I think PRO bodybuilders are disgusting, freakish, and obsessive to the point of permanently hurting their bodies by taking massive amounts of steroids. Nothing against people just trying to look good or bodybuilding training.[/quote]

Which is pretty much what the general public thinks.

Let me ask you this though, what makes you think that the BB’ers are permanently hurting their bodies taking steroids (not suggesting that they aren’t taking steroids)?

Because you have done extensive research (in medical journals/school) about steroids and have come to the educated conclusion that they are bad? Do you actually know someone who took steroids and wound up with health complications? Or are you just regurtitating what you’ve heard?

[quote]joburnet wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Insecurty 100% in my opinion.

I agree. There is no other reason for it. If someone makes a comment about someone’s dick size whenever the topic of bodybuilding comes up, that says more about that person than the one they are trying to degrade.

It makes them feel better…until they look in the mirror.

Personally I think PRO bodybuilders are disgusting, freakish, and obsessive to the point of permanently hurting their bodies by taking massive amounts of steroids. Nothing against people just trying to look good or bodybuilding training.[/quote]

personally I think your opinion sucks.

I want to be a bodybuilder, but I have nothing agains those who do. Maybe you should rethink your second paragraph, because what I got out of it is “bodybuilding is for extreme druggies, but those who want to train like a bodybuilder are cool as long as they don’t want to be one”. ?

Reggie bush is athletic, he doesn’t look like a bodybuilder. I have an athletic build, maybe slightly larger than your avg “athletic build” and I still have haters.

DG