T Nation

Bashing of Bodybuilders: Why?

Alright … alright. I know we have talked about this issue A LOT lately, perhaps beaten it to death - the issue of PTs ripping on bodybuilders as people and their training methods as well.

However, I never thought of this until today - the issue of WHY they do this.

Do they bash on bodybuilders because they had little success when they tried bodybuilding?

Are they jealous of bodybuilders?

Resentment?

Simply like poking fun at us?

What say you?

I think it has a lot to do with carry over to sports. For decades, the true measure of physical assesment has been how well someone has done in sports (particularly football in the US and soccer in other countries). PT’s often subconsiously associate peak physical condition with these types of athletes, who only use SOME of the methods used by bodybuilders.

Because of this association, its automatically assumed that bodybuilders are inferior to other athletes. That’s my analysis anyways. Take it as you will.

Personally I believe there’s a psychological phenomenon that for some people – and it seems only to be men that are vehement about it – comes into play whenever they consider things related to having a lot of muscle.

Anabolic steroids?!? Horror!!

High protein diet?!? Idiots!

Bodybuilding?? THEY HAVE SMALL DICKS!!

I don’t know whether it comes from having been geeks in high school and either beaten up by the football players and other athletes, or losing their girlfriends to them, or just never getting any girlfriends in their formative years while those with better builds did so much better than they, or perhaps some unrelated who-knows-what cause.

But it isn’t reason that is driving these emotional responses, of that I am pretty sure.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with carry over to sports. For decades, the true measure of physical assesment has been how well someone has done in sports (particularly football in the US and soccer in other countries). PT’s often subconsiously associate peak physical condition with these types of athletes, who only use SOME of the methods used by bodybuilders.

Because of this association, its automatically assumed that bodybuilders are inferior to other athletes. That’s my analysis anyways. Take it as you will.[/quote]

This has to be the BULK - get it? - of the issue.

Ironically, if we are talking about success as a measure of carryover to athletic performance, why even consider the training of athletes for the general population who, for the most part, have zero aspirations of competing in sports?

Isn’t that the same as having zero aspirations of competing in bodybuilding, which is the basis for calling bodybuilding training ‘non-functional’ because it is considered ‘non-applicable’ ?

I think a lot of people don’t understand bodybuilding for the first part. It’s normal for me to be hitting the weights on a friday night because that’s what I love to do. Some other person may find it normal to be drunk by 6pm on friday and think going to the gym as an odd thing. lol

Also, bodybuilding is a select/elite sport. Not everybody can be a bodybuilder, both genetically, and mentally. As we all know, it takes a lot of dedication to be a bodybuilder. Many just don’t want to give up their lives to do it, or aren’t genetically gifted enough to try it, those are the people who make fun of bbers.

I honestly think it’s those who can’t do it that poke fun, versus those who probably could but choose not to because it isn’t their cup of tea. lol

I remember reading a quote somewhere about people fearing what they don’t understand. I think that is one of the things that causes people to act the way they do in this matter.

DG

Insecurty 100% in my opinion.

perhaps because an impressive physique is one thing you can’t get by throwing money at it

I would say the stigma of drugs also plays a major part. There’s a “trainer” at my gym who looks like complete crap. One day he pulled up his shirt and flexed his abs in the mirror, and some girls I’m friends with cracked a joke at him, then said “you should see Stu’s abs”. Well, he made some remark about how I must be on steroids, and refused to believe otherwise no matter how many folks who know me attest to my time training, and knowledge.

Now… of course there’s the common dismissal that “anyone bigger than me must be on juice” (jealousy?!), but let’s face it,… all the top names in our sport are. But even some of the natural pros. How many threads have you seen online about whether Jim Cordova is on anything. Most people refuse to believe that anyone could train so hard (and smart), eat right, and have such great genetics that they actually look f-cking amazing (forget the fact that most natural pros weigh in at well under 175 lbs!)

And while us natty trainers are couting grams of protein, having whey PWO, but Casein pre-bed, sipping our PeriWO BCAAs,… trying to do everything correctly, there’s someone out there (actually, a lot of someones out there) who just load up on Test, eat who knows what, overtrain seven days a week and ultimately look better than we do… Of course there will be some resentment! -lol

S

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I think a lot of people don’t understand bodybuilding for the first part. It’s normal for me to be hitting the weights on a friday night because that’s what I love to do. Some other person may find it normal to be drunk by 6pm on friday and think going to the gym as an odd thing. lol

Also, bodybuilding is a select/elite sport. Not everybody can be a bodybuilder, both genetically, and mentally. As we all know, it takes a lot of dedication to be a bodybuilder. Many just don’t want to give up their lives to do it, or aren’t genetically gifted enough to try it, those are the people who make fun of bbers.

I honestly think it’s those who can’t do it that poke fun, versus those who probably could but choose not to because it isn’t their cup of tea. lol

I remember reading a quote somewhere about people fearing what they don’t understand. I think that is one of the things that causes people to act the way they do in this matter.

DG[/quote]

lol that was a batman quote. The batman begins movie someone says it

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Insecurty 100% in my opinion. [/quote]

I agree. There is no other reason for it. If someone makes a comment about someone’s dick size whenever the topic of bodybuilding comes up, that says more about that person than the one they are trying to degrade.

It makes them feel better…until they look in the mirror.

[quote]crod266 wrote:

lol that was a batman quote. The batman begins movie someone says it[/quote]

That quote was around centuries before that movie was made.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
crod266 wrote:

lol that was a batman quote. The batman begins movie someone says it

That quote was around centuries before that movie was made.[/quote]

hahah i acually felt smart for like 2 mins before i was proven wrong ha

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Alright … alright. I know we have talked about this issue A LOT lately, perhaps beaten it to death - the issue of PTs ripping on bodybuilders as people and their training methods as well.

However, I never thought of this until today - the issue of WHY they do this.

Do they bash on bodybuilders because they had little success when they tried bodybuilding?

Are they jealous of bodybuilders?

Resentment?

Simply like poking fun at us?

What say you?

[/quote]

IMO, they do it because it’s good for business.

Most regular people find the appearance of pro-bodybuilders grotesque, so by attacking them they succeed in convincing the paying customers that they will not end up looking one (which is a great concern for soccer moms and CEOs - who probably represent the biggest demographics for PTs).

Secondly, “grotesque” physiques aside, the general public also perceives pros as narcissistic cheating drug users who aren’t intelligent, so by ridiculing them you succeed in strengthening your relationship with their customers because both have the same ‘enemy’.

Thirdly, let’s face it, guys interested in hardcore bodybuilding generally aren’t the type to hire PTs; so they will not lose any of their business.

Ultimately everything comes down to dollars. Even CT who respects bodybuilding has to keep his physique streamlined if he wants to keep his business up.

That’s just the name of the game.

btw Bricknyce i notice your making a shit load of threads lately, whats with the spark hah

I’d say it’s because of a combination of

1. lack of knowledge of what it really takes
  2. insecurities because just seeing a BB’er makes most people feel small/weak/insignificant, let alone standing next to one
  3. it’s easy to poke fun when you’re part of the majority, just join in with the crowd

TBH “former geeks” actually BECOME recreational weight trainers and bodybuilders as they get older to avenge their former humiliation or being picked on when they were skinny and nerdy. whizzing through the posts on this and other sites (especially GAL forum) has convinced me about that. I feel that current criticism of bbers actually comes from guys who were the “cool dudes” (think Fonz or any of the guys from Dawson’s creek) who used to get the chicks easily in high school but are now relegated to a lifetime of being ordinary and unremarkable, stuck with prematurely graying hair, average looking wives and a boring poorly paying job.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Personally I believe there’s a psychological phenomenon that for some people – and it seems only to be men that are vehement about it – comes into play whenever they consider things related to having a lot of muscle.

Anabolic steroids?!? Horror!!

High protein diet?!? Idiots!

Bodybuilding?? THEY HAVE SMALL DICKS!!

I don’t know whether it comes from having been geeks in high school and either beaten up by the football players and other athletes, or losing their girlfriends to them, or just never getting any girlfriends in their formative years while those with better builds did so much better than they, or perhaps some unrelated who-knows-what cause.

But it isn’t reason that is driving these emotional responses, of that I am pretty sure.
[/quote]

Part reflection, part marketing vehicle.

Either way, excellent stuff for discussion.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
btw Bricknyce i notice your making a shit load of threads lately, whats with the spark hah[/quote]

They’re both threatened and intimidated. I don’t mean this in a “he could kick my ass” sort of way. Think about it…a bodybuilder is basically a walking billboard for what the PT is trying to sell…the image of health.

Chances are, though, that a PT petty enough to resent bodybuilders probably doesn’t have the talent to train someone to reach such peak physical condition. When a BB walks into a gym, jaws drop and people often ask “how did you get in such great shape?”. When the BB replies that he got that way without the use of some half-wit PT, it makes the PT look bad. Hence the excuses and insults

simply put its a reaction of the ego-somehow a person feels cheated or threatened by your more developed body. Upon observing your achievements the ego has to find a way to love you or destroy you.

Almost all health professionals these days recommend some form of resistance training. Many of the people commenting negatively would not even perform a minimal resistance and cardio program.

I’ve actually experienced more of a reaction from females regarding this. The guys I know are generally supportive. They do say things like “oh yeah I’ve tried that it just didn’t work for me” and crap like that, but nothing negative towards me. Some women I know, though, have reacted in more of a “ewww why are you doing that?” sort of way.

I think it’s in part due to the eating habits required in this endeavor. A lot of the girls I know are grossed out by the fact that I bring 6 tupperware containers to school eat day, each of which contains some sort of meat. I get a lot of “Don’t you know that’s so bad for you?” type crap. I don’t get that from guys.