Based on my routine and goals am I overloading my CNS, is it too much volume for my goals, or did I plateau?
My goal is to increase strength and hypertrophy. During my off days I do static and dynamic stretching, 1.5 run every other week, and shoulder and scapular preventative exercises that are also done every other wee on my off days. I also do foam rolling and lacrosse ball work.
Please keep in mind that certain movements I do singles to increase strength which you will see in my routine. The exercises that I am doing singles with are it least 90% of one rep max. However when I feel I can go up to weight, I will admit I have to exert myself even more pass 90% to grow accustom to the weight and eventually build a new 1rpm which my goal is to increase my strength overtime.
I would like to say that my diet is on point, organized and tracked, including supplementation but lately I have stalled on numbers and have plateaued. I noticed I have been regressing then progressing on certain lifts but I have a feeling that I could be doing more than needed based on my goals.
Sunday - OFF, Monday - OFF, Tuesday - Shoulders/Biceps, Wednesday - Legs, Thursday - Chest/Abs, Friday - Off, Satuday - Back/Triceps
- Single DB Push OHP (Similar to a Circus Press) - (90-95% of 1rpm) (95lb DB) 8 x 1 (last set attempt 100lb DB)
- Medial Delt Machine Flys 3x10-12 (95lbs)
- Face Pulls 3x12-15
- Scott Curls 3x8-10
- Incline Hammer Spider Curls 3x10-12
- Seated FAT GRIPZ pronated preacher curls 3x12-15
- Front Squat (ATG) 8x1 (90% 1rpm) (285lbs) Last 1 or 2 sets (295lbs)
- RDL 3x5 (295)
- Leg Press 3x10-12 (6 plates each side)
- Lying Curls 2x15-20 (80lbs)
- Leg Extensions 2x15-20 (70lbs)
- Barbell Bench warm up to 90-95% 1rpm (295)
- DB Press (110lbs DB’s) 4x5
- Incline Hammer Strength Press 3x8-10
- Decline DB Press 3x10-12 (35lb DB’s) (Stretch-Contract Focus)
- Cable Flys 3x12-15
- Ab Band Resisted Roller 4 sets
- Knelling Paloff Press 3 sets
- Decline Leg lifts 3 sets
- Vertical Pull Warm Ups
- DB Rows (Both hands) 4x5 (115)
- T-Bar Rows 3x8-10 (2 45’s and a 25)
- Hammer Strength High Rows 3x10-12
- Underhand Cable Pull Downs 3x 12-15
- Dips 5x1 (170lbs attached to dip belt) (95% 1rpm)
- Hammer Extensions on machine - 4x8-10
- High Pulley Overhead Extensions - 3x12-15
I was thinking of toning the sets of singles to 5x1 instead as I am taxed from the begining of the workout but no exhausted. I have been doing this routine for several months with great success because of my diet and recovery days but now I am starting to stall and get tight in places so now I have to spend even more time with recovery but I am still able to get through but I am starting to think I am hitting my CNS too hard.
Does my workout routine have too much volume for my goals? I figured because of the amount of work I put in my training and dedicated 3 days for recovery and corrective training and stretching.
I am open to suggestions and changes to help keep a progressive tempo. I was thinking of changing my sets of singles to 5x1 instead but I feel like that not a form of progression when I am taking away…
I was thinking of trying the Thib’s routine for “natural lifters” where its low volume/high frequency but was worried I lose my strength gains. I may start that routine next week but keep my main lifts and ever so often do 90-95% or 1rpm to maintain strength. Unless you guys have other ideas to periodize his routine. I like it but curious to how should go about progressing in Thib’s routine. I am really into the powerbuiliding aspect of my training but wouldn’t mind taking a few steps back and focusing on hypertrophy but still want to maintain my strength levels.