Baseball Workout

wildcat,

You are absolutely right, power definitly comes from the hips and the core. But remember your arm does have to move at some point! I guess what I was trying to say is that for throwing-type athletes, back work is more important than chest work.

So judging by what people are saying, I need to:

• add more or make better selections for back work
  • drop dips
  • do more reasearch on what plyos to do
  • back > chest

Boss, I do a rotator cuff program with our schools pitching coach as part of every practice day except Tuesday, even though I am an outfielder, 1B, and when injured I play DH. I think that I should be fine doing cleans because I have a coach watch when I do them and he says my form is perfect. I did them before last season and I found I could hit and throw with more power, speed and control. I have never experienced any real shoulder problems in the past, just some irritation in the labrum in my throwing shoulder, which is long gone.

My redesigned program looks like this:

• replace BW dips w/ CG Bench (4x8)
  • Make CG Chins my ME movement on Friday’s, drop CG Bench
  • Add 4x6 seated rows to Friday

Newest Creation:

Sunday: Practice

Monday: Max Effort Lower Body Movement

• Box Squat: Work up to 5RM
  • Romanian Deadlifts: 4x6
  • Reverse Hyper extensions: 3x10
  • Weighted Sit-ups: 4x10
  • 5 Medicine Ball Sets

Tuesday: Repetition Effort Upper Body Movement

• CG Bench Press: 4x8
  • Bent-over DB Rows: 4x8
  • Face Pulls: 3x12
  • Triceps Pulldowns: 3x10
  • Hammer Curls: 4x6
    Rest
  • High Intensity Plyometrics
    -Practice

Wednesday: Sprints

Thursday: Dynamic Effort Lower Body Movement

• Power Cleans: 5x5
  • Reverse DB Lunges: 4x12
  • Weighted Supermans: 2x10
  • Weighted Incline Sit-ups: 3x10
  • Practice

Friday: Max Effort Upper Body Movement

• Weighted CG Chins: Work up to 5RM
  • Rack Lockout: 3x5
  • DB Incline Press: 3x8
  • Seated Rows: 4x6
    Rest
  • Low Intensity Plyometrics

Saturday: Sprints

I like where this is going, I am much further along than I was three days ago.

Wildcat,

That looks good and will definitly be very intense. It looks a lot like WS4SB, but adjusted well for a baseball player and it seems like you have incorporated the dynamic stuff well. I’m not sure what you mean by “high-intensity plyometrics” on Tuesday, I always get a little wary when I just see plyometric stuff thrown in at the end of a workout. Is that something you do with your team?

Overall, I’d say this program looks very good. I imagine you will noticeably increase your power by the time baseball season comes around. However, you need to do 3 more things to make it work:

1.) Sleep- I know this is usually hard for kids. Try your best to get as much as you can during the week and catch up bigtime on the weekends if possible.

2.) Eat- I once heard a quote that said, “there’s no such thing as overtraining, just under-eating.” Obviously this is not quite true, but you will be able to handle a much greater workload if you are pounding down 4000 calories a day.

3.) Unload Weeks- Take one every 4th or 5th week. Drop the intensity a little bit and drop the volume way down. Then come back the next week even stronger.

Thanks, I will be doing my plyos with the football team to start and then I will make my own version of what to do.

Sounds good man, I’m lookin forward to hearing about how you’re knocking some balls out of the park this spring.