Baseball Training Program

Hey everyone i’m a highschool baseball player and im looking to come back even stronger this season. Its kinda hard to find a baseball weight training program since there are certain exercise rules to follow when it comes to baseball.

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if this seems like a good training program for the summer. All help appreciated.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Base…-Nutrition&id=102765

Do you pitch?

Without weighing in on specific programs, I would definitely read all of Cressey’s articles and go through each and every one of his newletters starting at #1 (he’s almost up to 160 now)!

Very information dense and very much worth it.

Jerminator,
Being a ex baseball player myself (I played through high school and college) I know how tough it can be to find an appropriate weight program for our sport. But, dude, I’m not gonna lie to ya, I wouldn’t do that program you have cited. Like BigJawnMize said, I don’t know what position you play, but seeing that you’re supposedly 6’1" and 140 pounds it sounds like adding (quite a few) pounds wouldn’t hurt.

Check out DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards. With DeFranco’s stuff for baseball, I like to use the WS4SB II template for upper body and the WS4SB III for lower. Make sure to stick with some type of pulling movement for your upper body max effort lift. Seriously man, you can’t go wrong with this. In my humble opinion, it sounds like you need some meat on your bones. That alone will increase your velocity on your pitches if you’re a pitcher, and turn warning track flies into bombs. Also, make sure to eat enough food. Like, lots and lots of food.

Eric Cressey also has a bunch of tremendous baseball ideas, but never gives a specific program.

Its up to you if you want to take my advice, but I know that WS4SB (revised pulling edition) worked for me and a bunch of my teammates. Kept us healthy and def got us more w’s. You won’t be dissapointed.

[quote]ole7 wrote:
Jerminator,
Being a ex baseball player myself (I played through high school and college) I know how tough it can be to find an appropriate weight program for our sport. But, dude, I’m not gonna lie to ya, I wouldn’t do that program you have cited. Like BigJawnMize said, I don’t know what position you play, but seeing that you’re supposedly 6’1" and 140 pounds it sounds like adding (quite a few) pounds wouldn’t hurt.

Check out DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards. With DeFranco’s stuff for baseball, I like to use the WS4SB II template for upper body and the WS4SB III for lower. Make sure to stick with some type of pulling movement for your upper body max effort lift. Seriously man, you can’t go wrong with this. In my humble opinion, it sounds like you need some meat on your bones. That alone will increase your velocity on your pitches if you’re a pitcher, and turn warning track flies into bombs. Also, make sure to eat enough food. Like, lots and lots of food.

Eric Cressey also has a bunch of tremendous baseball ideas, but never gives a specific program.

Its up to you if you want to take my advice, but I know that WS4SB (revised pulling edition) worked for me and a bunch of my teammates. Kept us healthy and def got us more w’s. You won’t be dissapointed.[/quote]

I agree.

haha yea i know i could use some pounds. i eat a lot (mainly clean) but my extremely fast metabolism doesnt help.

i did WS4SB III and had good results (gained arounnd 5lbs in a month) however it did lead to me injurying my arm during the spring season which caused me to miss most of the season. ive been going to doctors for awhile and i got an mri and shot of cortozone. the doctors think its either a fractured growth plate or a torn laberum. but it feels a lot better now so i think its ok to start working out a little

i player pitcher, 3rd base, and outfield.

if u dont mind id like to talk to u more about this since u had the oppurtunity to play college ball. maybe u could tell me some tricks or tips to help me come back this season strong.

thanks for the comments everyone

http://ezinearticles.com/?Baseball-Specific-Exercises-and-Nutrition&id=102765

heres the link again

Okay. From a baseball standpoint you’re going to want to figure out if it was in fact a fractured growth plate or a torn labrum; the labrum can imply some debilitating athletic ramifications as a ball player. Gosh, I hope for your sake it’s not in your throwing arm… Also, are you sure the injury was from lifting and not from actually playing the game of baseball? Baseball can do some nasty things to the body, and if you’re following a sound strength training program it shouldn’t be injuring you, but the game itself still might. As baseball players we need to lift not only to play the game in a more physical manner, but also to stay injury free.

As far as lifting tricks or tips go, make sure to hit the legs hard (as should all athletes) and really focus in on your rowing and chinning movements. These are money for you. And, once again, keep pushing the food. I know it’s not the most fun thing to do, but the best advice I could give you is eat till you’re full and then eat 1 more sandwhich, 1 more chicken breast, or drink 1 more tall glass of 2% milk. Alot of guys I played with over the years got really into the med ball movements, and I saw some success with those myself, but only after a decent level of strength was built up.

To specifically state why I told you to avoid the ezinearticles program is due to a lack of periodization, lack of fluctuating volume/intensity, lack of progression, and some pretty contested exercies (leg curls, pushbacks, leg press, leg extension, pushdowns, even pull-downs). Stick with chins, rows, dumbbell pushing exercises, squats, deads, single leg movements, and hit the posterior chain hard. Cycle em in, push it in the offseason with intensity and volume, and scale back on the volume when the season starts. Work the midsection, but don’t limit yourself to high rep work only. Hit these hard and heavy, and you should be okay. The article doesn’t list any reps under the number of 8, which in my mind is an athletic hazard. You gotta go heavier if you want to hit the long ball. Nutritionally the article wants you to take protein powder, creatien, glucosamine, chondroiton, glutamine, ZMA, and a multi. Just focus on eating food man. You can’t go wrong with good ol’ healthy calories.

I hope all this helps. Also, make your way over to elitefts and search their articles for baseball stuff. Cressey has some great ideas on that website for pressing movements too.

thanks ole7

unfortunately it is my throwing arm.

and did u say u did WS4SB II for upper and WS4SB III for lower?

also wat college did u play for?