T Nation

Baseball (Pitching) and Bodybuilding

I’m in HS and I’m a pitcher. I need a program that I can fit into my crammed schedule, while staying away from heavy overhead pressing. Basically, I want quick, efficient workouts so my body doesn’t turn to shit while I’m playing baseball. Thanks in advance.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/index.php

Have you checked out this website ^^

I think it could be a great resource for you.

Dirty Gerdy, you played college baseball right? Wanna throw this kid a bone ?

Read everything by Eric Cressey here and on his website/blog.

To be honest while your in season your weight training is probably going to be minimal.

When I played, even in high school, I’d play up to 60-70 games from february thru august. I would still lift, getting the core exercises in, but I didn’t dedicate as much time to the weights during season as I did in the offseason.

Honestly your a pitcher you need to really focus on conditioning and you should be RUNNING a lot. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The T-Nation member SCHMAZZ is the perfect guy to ask questions. He is a D1 college pitcher I believe. So right up your alley.

;D

Damn I miss that game :frowning:

DG

I do have a few things involving a bucket of rice and stuff like that but it’s not necessarily something that would benefit pitchers. lol

I know a lot more about bodybuilding than I do about ‘functional training’ HAHA! JK…but seriously hit up Schmazz and you can tell him I sent you…he’s a cool dood.

DG

DG, can you tell me why a pitcher would need to be running ?

Not being an ass, im honestly curious.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

Not being an ass, im honestly curious.[/quote]

Because when they hit the batter they need to be able to run faster than the aforementioned player…bunch of pussies, pitchers.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I do have a few things involving a bucket of rice and stuff like that but it’s not necessarily something that would benefit pitchers. lol

I know a lot more about bodybuilding than I do about ‘functional training’ HAHA! JK…but seriously hit up Schmazz and you can tell him I sent you…he’s a cool dood.

DG[/quote]

I looked at that dudes avatar and thought he was like 40, guess I was wrong rofl.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

I’m pretty sure most major leaguers don’t run a lot, because Bert Blyleven complains about it at least once a Twins broadcast. Usually right after he mentions how many days it is until his birthday.

Also, Cressey is pretty anti-running

http://ericcressey.com/a-new-model-for-training-between-starts-part-1

Of course, I’ve never pitched at any meaningful level, so YMMV

Leg kick, and conditioning I believe. I think depending on the coach will dictate how much running is broken up into sprints (think short explosive movements without decreasing power) vs long distance (ie conditioning)

Although I never pitched (first baseman) and it wasn’t a D1 school, so take it for what it’s worth.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

Believe it or not, but your legs will fatigue before the rest of your body while pitching. Good form for pitchers is a LOT more than just throwing the ball.

There isn’t much you can do better for endurance besides running.

And that ‘major leaguers don’t run comment’ is BS. Certain positions run less than the rest, but baseball players run just as much for conditioning as any other sport. Just slightly different .vs. football and basketball which is mostly sprints…

Thnaks for the feedback fellas. Out of curiosity, how do I test myself for the following? I feel it would greatly help my game. 1. lead leg hip extension (tight hip flexors)

1. lead leg hip internal rotation (tight external rotators)

2. lead leg knee flexion (tight quads)

3. Throwing arm shoulder internal rotation (tight posterior rotator cuff and capsule)

4. Scapular posterior tilt (tight pec minor and levator scapulae)

5. Throwing arm elbow extension (tight elbow flexors)