Baseball Lifting Log

Workout friday 2/22/13

Lower body

Squats 135lbs 3x8

Reverse Lunges 95lbs 3x8

Romandia Deadlifts 115 3x12

Cable chops 25 lbs (I think) 2x10

vallslide ab work supersetted with ham curls 3 sets each

Comments: squats felt crappy. had trouble getting depth and had a little right hip discomfort. Everything else felt solid.

Next workout sunday upper body. I’m gonna try and hit a PR on the Db bench presses.

Change of plans. Did a full body workout because I’m going to practice my fielding tomorrow and cant lift.

Wokrout 2/24/13

Hex bar Deadlift 315lbs 3x3

weighted pushups with heavy vest 1) 13 2) 10 4) 9

1 arm rows 3x12 supersetted with single leg TRX assisted pistol squats 3x10

rotator Cuff work

Sprints and rotational med ball throws

Comments: Good workout. I’m gonna have to start working out 3 times a week full body instead of my 4 times per week upper/lower split because of all the baseball. Next workout tuesday upper body.

Workout 2/26/13
Upper Body

upper body pre-hab (shoulder dislocates, banded no money, band pull a parts etc.)

DB bench
65lbs each hand 1) 11 (+1 rep PR) 2) 8 3) 60lbsx6. I wish I could go heavier with these but I’ll take a rep PR. I progress very slowly with these. I can definitely press more weight than I can actually get into the correct position without shoulder discomfort. I’ll try for the 70’s next week.

Half kneeling Landmine press
75lbs 1) 12 2) 12 3) 10 4) standing dropset

Seated row
85lbs 3x12

Facepulls supersetted with tricep pushdowns.
bunch of sets. Didn’t really keep track of these

Anti rotation cable chops
2 sets
Vallslide ab work
4 sets

Comments: Great workout. Everything felt good. I’ll try to get lower body session in before the weekend. Most likely will be friday because I’m hitting tomorrow and thursday.

I’d love to hear advise/ feedback on my training from you guys.

Got my work done in school today so I was able to lift tonight.
Workout 2/27/13 Lower Body

Lower body prefab/ dynamic warmup

Box Squats

1. 185lbsx5 2) 195x5 3) 195x5 4) 195x5

Rear foot elevated (bulgarian) split squats

1. 120lbs (two 60lbs Db’ss) x6 2) 120lbs x6 3) 120lbs x6

Romanian Dead Lifts
135lbs 3x8

pull throughs 50lbs 5x15

Comments: Okay workout tonight. Box squats felt a little sloppy at times but were for the most part find. Going to hit tomorrow and do some
upper body work friday.

Workout 3/1/13 Upper body

upper body pre-hab band work

Pullups

1. 6 2) 6 3) 6 4) 4 5) 3

Half kneeling landmine press

80lbs 2x10 3) standing drop set with 85lbs

Reverse cable crossovers AKA scarecrows
25lbs 1)10 2) 9 3) 8 4) 20lbs x10

Arm work/ cuff work

Comments: Good workout. I kept it nice and quick and felt strong. I’m heading into March so iIm clsoe to the season. I’m going to start hitting even more often than I have been. My next post will be my my march training template

Training Template for March until season starts

Three non consecutive days per week.
All three sessions are full body.
All sessions will have the 4 basic movements (squat, hinge, push, pull) and a core exercise at the end.

I will probably lift Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or sunday. My training will probably look something like this and I will try to follow this as closely as possible. These exercises are not listed in any particular order. I will do extras at the end if I have the energy and time.

Tuesday
Squat: Box squat
Hinge: Pull throughs
Push: Db bench press (varying inclines)
Pull: Reverse Cable Flies/ TRX Y’s
Core: Anti-rotation core chops
Extras

Thursday
Squat: Bulgarian split squat
Hinge: Romandian Deadlifts
Push: Landmine Press
Pull: facepulls
Core: Vallslide rollouts
Extras

Saturday/ Sunday
Squat: Reverse lunges
Hinge: Single Leg RDL’s
Push: TRX feet elevated pushups
Pull: TRX Inverted Row
Core: TRX Core exercises
Extras

My school team baseball practices are on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. I will hit Friday, Saturday and Sunday on my own
Please leave comments, questions or suggestions. I would really appreciate them.

Hey man, I’m a collegiate baseball player currently and it looks like your on the right track. I personally train fairly similar to powerlifting as I hope to compete in powerlifting soon, but Ive also soaked up everything I could learn from guys like defranco and cressey. Along with the previous advice thats been said about putting a high priority on mobility, prehab, etc which you seem to do, I would add dont be afraid of training freaking heavy. Over the past year I added 100 lbs to my squat (lots of newbie gains from 295 to 425) by gaining 10 lbs bodyweight, and training strongman and powerlifting, and my 60 time dropped from a 7.1 to a 6.8 with zero sprint workouts. Dont go crazy training like a powerlifter, but strongman and powerlifting work will carry over big time.

Also like previously stated before, sprints are always better than distance work. A baseball play only lasts a matter of seconds so train the energy systems used in a game.

I may have missed it, but I dont see a whole lot of tuggin in your training, hit your lats and upper back hard.

Last thing is I see almost no isolation work in your training, and while maybe not necessary, i’ve found a few sets of high rep band pushdowns and db curls a week do wonders for my elbows

@irkweintraub
Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll definitely add in the curls/ pushdowns at the end of my workouts twice a week. I have had some elbow problems in the past so hopefully those can help to prevent any future elbow issues. If not, bigger arms never hurt to have, right?

As for the pulling, I have three horizontal pulling variation in there and no vertical pulls. The reason for this is that last year my elbow started to get cranky by april and pullups might exacerbate those elbow issues. I think I have plenty of pulling in there overall with the inverted rows, facepulls and the reverse flies.

Good luck in your season!

I wanted to start following my program today but I forgot my TRX at home like an idiot. I will start my program for real on Tuesday. I still got a great workout in.

Workout 3/3/13 Full body
Lower body prefab/ upper body prefab/ Dynamic warmup

Reverse Lunges
115lbs 3x8

Single leg Romanian deadlift
65lbs 3x10

Pushups variations
Regular 1) 20 2)18
Close grip 1) 10 2) 8
Diamond 1) 7 2) 6
Total: 69

Single arm cable row
57.5 2x12 1x10
47.5x15

Vallslide core exercises

Extras: curls/ pushdowns

Comments: great workout. I should have done some rotator cuff work but oh well.