Baseball Cards

Anyone know baseball cards?

I’ve searched and searched and cannot find any info on the pack I have.

It’s an unopened 15 card pack of Topps 1993 Series 1 ToppsGold MLB cards.

IS it worth more unopened (with gum!) or do I need to open it to see who’s in there?

Is it worth anything?

Thanks for the help.

1993 Toops are crappy cards, price wise.

If it’s the gold ones, then they’re worth slightly more (at least back in the day 1.5x the normal).

There’s no real great rookies either (cept for maybe Piazza, but even then his cards have declined big time).

I’d give them to a son, nephew or something.

All I know about baseball cards is Billy Ripken’s “error” card is awesome.

All I remember about baseball cards is that Will Clark’s '87 Fleer was worth an astounding $35 (which was a shit-ton of money for a 9 yr old boy in 1987) and now I think it’s worth $.50 +/-, what a crock of shit.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
All I know about baseball cards is Billy Ripken’s “error” card is awesome.[/quote]

LOL I remember when that was first discovered and everyone went ape-shit over it.

^ rofl…awseome

Baseball cards are one of those things that just keep a special place in my heart since it reminds me of something I just truly enjoyed so much as a kid growing up.

I do not collect now really (although I still have all my old cards), but every once in a while I will pick up a few packs and it’s some great nostalgia for me. One of my fondest memories was Saturday afternoons going to this small little store in town to buy baseball cards. I still remember when Upper Deck came out - those were utterly mind-boggling at the time.

This was the holy grail back in the day.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
This was the holy grail back in the day.[/quote]

As soon as I saw your first post I was going to mention that card! Did you ever get one in a pack?

I also remember when Upper Deck first came out. They were the sickest cards ever! The hologram stickers that came in the packs were bad-ass too! Remember the Dale Murphy reverse negative? I think at some point it was worth $175.

My major question is WHY did the price of all those great cards go to shit? I would love to still collect them just for fun but there would have to be SOME monetary reason to do it. I tried collecting again around 1997 but I just couldn’t hold myself to it. That “little kid excitement” was just gone.

Is Beckett still the authority in pricing these days?

pricing did go to shit didn’t it.

8 yrs ago, my Piazza collection was like $3k, now it’s more like $1k

Last I remember ( I was 16 or so), Bowman’s Best was the hot stuff going for like $6-7 a pack. I spent a shit ton of money on that stuff

I was just getting out of collecting when the whole grading system took off, PSA and stuff.

I cannot remember if the Griffey was in a pack or I bought separate… but I am guessing in a pack. What a grand day that was! I still have it, too.

My gut feeling on the degradation in value of the cards was when they began making all of these limited edition, numbered series cards. They basically created more exclusivity whereas (back in the day) they just pumped a lot of them out there.

I do miss the days of Topps cards and that rock hard bubble gum. I would jam about 8 pieces in my mouth at once and just about choke on the powdered sugar.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I cannot remember if the Griffey was in a pack or I bought separate… but I am guessing in a pack. What a grand day that was! I still have it, too.

My gut feeling on the degradation in value of the cards was when they began making all of these limited edition, numbered series cards. They basically created more exclusivity whereas (back in the day) they just pumped a lot of them out there.

I do miss the days of Topps cards and that rock hard bubble gum. I would jam about 8 pieces in my mouth at once and just about choke on the powdered sugar.[/quote]

As a kid, I would spend all of my money on cards - baseball, football, basketball, hockey - and I can still remember the excitement of opening a fresh pack and quickly thumbing through it to find one of my favorite players or an “insert card.” Then I’d check all the values in Beckett and put them into sleeves and cases accordingly. : )

I think mass production, too many subsets and the whole grading system are what destroyed baseball cards’ monetary value. I’ll just hang onto mine and probably give them to my kids (if I have any).

I used to collect the Kiss Trading Cards…

Not cuz I like the band or anything but the gum was to die for…

Same for Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars.

[quote]inthego wrote:

Same for Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars.[/quote]

I’ve got some Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Get Smart cards.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:

[/quote]

Was the gum good?

[quote]inthego wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:

Was the gum good?[/quote]

Hard as a rock. Shattered when I chomped it up. The Monkees gum was the best. It was banana flavored. I can still smell it.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:

Was the gum good?

Hard as a rock. Shattered when I chomped it up. The Monkees gum was the best. It was banana flavored. I can still smell it.
[/quote]

its all about the gum baby…

Man those were the days…

Shitty gum… good times.

[quote]inthego wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
inthego wrote:

Was the gum good?

its all about the gum baby…

Man those were the days…

Shitty gum… good times.[/quote]

And then they ditched the gum because it would mark up the cards and “ruin” their value. BAH!