T Nation

Base Strength Before Hypertrophy?

im 18 years old and i my current stats are bench -110kg, squat-130kg and deadlift- 150kg
what i want to know is how strong i should be and need to be before moving on to a more hypertrophy based program any input would be much appreciated

[quote]adamhill159 wrote:
im 18 years old and i my current stats are bench -110kg, squat-130kg and deadlift- 150kg
what i want to know is how strong i should be and need to be before moving on to a more hypertrophy based program any input would be much appreciated[/quote]
If your profile info is current, then you’re benching almost 1.5 x bodyweight, deadlifting just about double bodyweight, and squatting close to double bodyweight. Those are very solid strength levels, so you’ve done good so far. Basically, I’d say train however you want to train and go full throttle towards whatever your particular goals are.

There’s not really a rule that says someone’s supposed to reach “fill in the blank” strength standards before they start training for size. Nine times out of ten, a well-designed program will have a fair amount of carryover, building strength and size fairly well (depending on the specifics of the program, obviously) as long as your nutrition is appropriate.

Also, what’s up with your biceps in your avatar pic? They’re either freakishly genetically blessed or there’s some shenanigans at work.

I vote shenanigans.

it was taken when i was in single digit body fats and after a high intensity arm workout so they were pumped quite a bit