T Nation

Base Smolov Completed: 15kg Gain

Just finished the Smolov Base Mesocycle. ATG Back Squat went from 145 to 160. Here’s a clip

140kg
150kg
160kg
165kg (miss)

Questions, Comments, Concerns?

Hopefully the intense mesocycle will bring me to my final goal of 180kg.

Great job! Those are some good high bar squats.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
Great job! Those are some good high bar squats.[/quote]

Thanks! I’m looking forward to seeing your results as well.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
Great job! Those are some good high bar squats.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to seeing your results as well.[/quote]

So am I. A week feels like forever.

Nice one Invictica. I hope you’ll try and keep a log of the intense so we can learn from it.

I am looking forward to yours as well undesired08. I have been silently following your log from the start.

Cheers!

That 165kg fail was the coolest thing ive seen in ages. I thought you were going through the mirror.

Nice work though, phenomenal. Getting past that 170 mark is a good hurdle to pass for a lighter lifter. I remember when i first past it and I was like “thank fuck that’s over.”

Now I have to go back and pass it again after my broke ass ankle bull shit. I would do [and am super tempted] smolov, but given my lack of recent hard training I dont think my work capacity and recovery is what it once was.

Good shit though mate. you might want to try facing away from the mirrors next test and on. The mirrors can really fuck your concentration and muscle-cueing up. Might be diff for you if you’re used to it.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:

Now I have to go back and pass it again after my broke ass ankle bull shit.

-chris[/quote]

Where is the ass ankle bull shit located? I have been laughing for about 5 minutes now, not that broken bones are funny.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
Avocado wrote:

Now I have to go back and pass it again after my broke ass ankle bull shit.

-chris

Where is the ass ankle bull shit located? I have been laughing for about 5 minutes now, not that broken bones are funny.
[/quote]

I was trying not to laugh before undesired08’s post. No I can’t help it.

Questions: how much do you weight? 75-80kg? And, how much is your front squat? ±125, I’d guess? Did you gain any weight on the Smolov cycle, lose weight, or maintain?

Anyway, v. good job. 2x BW back squat… That’s some smooth criminal shit. You would’ve got the 165 if you were fresh.

Also, another question… Why did you decide to do Smolov? Did your progress through other means stall? I’m asking because I estimate my FS 1RM to be ±115 (I do 100 for 5), and after dieting down I expect to be 80kg. Kinda wondering if I’ll have to do some specialist programme to get to my temp goal of 1.5 x bw f squat!

Great job, man!

As others have said:

  • you squat with great form
  • these 165 kilos are in the bag, you just have to be fresh the next time, even after Smolov, 3 PRs in a day are no joke

I think you were afraid of the weight on the last lift, you spent too much time with the bar on your back, before you started. Psyching is good, believing in yourself is better.

Now if I could just find the courage to do the Smolov base meso again…

[quote]G87 wrote:
Questions: how much do you weight? 75-80kg? And, how much is your front squat? ±125, I’d guess? Did you gain any weight on the Smolov cycle, lose weight, or maintain?

Anyway, v. good job. 2x BW back squat… That’s some smooth criminal shit. You would’ve got the 165 if you were fresh.

Also, another question… Why did you decide to do Smolov? Did your progress through other means stall? I’m asking because I estimate my FS 1RM to be ±115 (I do 100 for 5), and after dieting down I expect to be 80kg. Kinda wondering if I’ll have to do some specialist programme to get to my temp goal of 1.5 x bw f squat! [/quote]

Right now I’m weighing at 85 at the end of the day. Which is kind of concerning cause I have to make weight for 77 before the season starts (or move up to 85). I started at around 82/83. I ate a metric ass ton everyday and slept 8+ hours.

I would say you can maintain or lose weight, but this program will get 10 times harder. Not sure what my FS is, but last I tested it was like 120kg, but that was last year with a sub 140kg BS.

I decided to do Smolov cause my back squat was a piece of garbage. I’m over seas right now and I’m unable to practice the classical lifts (I train at a Gold’s at the moment, dropping weight is a no no) so I figured a solid basic movement such as the back squat would benefit me all around.

Good squats dude.

What’s your vertical jump at?

Great gains. Expect gains to be a bit slower as the poundages increase. First time I did the base meso cycle, my max was 172.5kg, and I only gained 7.5kg after that. It was extremely hard, I went on for the rest of the program, switching phase and the intense phase, and after that I ended up with a max of 200kg.

Recently I have been through the base meso cycle only, two times, and gains have been 10kg both times.

Make sure not to burn yourself out. I did when I first did Smolov. Went on a 3 month period with very poor squatting, and I lost all the strength I had gained on Smolov. At that time I got so furious with myself I promised myself never to let myself fall back like that again.

I advice everyone doing Smolov for the first time to underestimate their post base meso cycle. That will give experience with the program, while still being tough enough, and giving less chance of burn out.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Right now I’m weighing at 85 at the end of the day. Which is kind of concerning cause I have to make weight for 77 before the season starts (or move up to 85). I started at around 82/83. I ate a metric ass ton everyday and slept 8+ hours.

I would say you can maintain or lose weight, but this program will get 10 times harder. Not sure what my FS is, but last I tested it was like 120kg, but that was last year with a sub 140kg BS.

I decided to do Smolov cause my back squat was a piece of garbage. I’m over seas right now and I’m unable to practice the classical lifts (I train at a Gold’s at the moment, dropping weight is a no no) so I figured a solid basic movement such as the back squat would benefit me all around. [/quote]

That’s either a very good FS for your BS, or a very bad BS for your FS :slight_smile: Although I’ve no doubt the ratio would look quite different now.

As for your weight, depending on when the weigh-ins are, I don’t think it’ll be hard to make that weight.

Regardless, best of luck, I’ll be following your progress with interest.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Good squats dude.

What’s your vertical jump at?[/quote]

Thanks. Don’t have a clue what my vert is. Low I guess ahahaha.

[quote]formfunction wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
Avocado wrote:

Now I have to go back and pass it again after my broke ass ankle bull shit.

-chris

Where is the ass ankle bull shit located? I have been laughing for about 5 minutes now, not that broken bones are funny.

I was trying not to laugh before undesired08’s post. No I can’t help it.[/quote]

Yeah its about 8" below my left knee. But fair’s fair, I laughed like a bastard when i did it [no bone break only soft tissue] because it was the fourth time i had fucked that ankle.

The first time was running so i quit that shit. I blame the girl in tight shiny spandex on the side of the track that was bending over STRAIGHT-LEGGGED to tie her shoe. very distracting. all her fault.

-chris

Do you have a link to the cycle?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Do you have a link to the cycle?[/quote]

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Do you have a link to the cycle?[/quote]

Here’s a link to the full 13 week smolov program: http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

Invictica,

Im looking at the base cycle and am pretty confused.

The 3rd week calls for 10 sets of 3 reps, at 85% of your max, plus 15 kg. Doesnt that equal out to be your max?