Barry Sanders

Pioneer of the cutback that LT, Tiki, Alexander, and many of the other great backs use today.

Check his explosion through the hole against Indy toward the end of this one.

Observe his super fast cutback on the replay.

Cryin’ shame he played for the Lions all those years.

B.

My favorite player ever, there will never be another quite like him.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Pioneer of the cutback that LT, Tiki, Alexander, and many of the other great backs use today.[/quote]

I love Barry, but he was not the pioneer of the cutback. The cutback is as old as football itself. Barry might have been the best ever at changing direction on the fly (though Gayle Sayers might have something to say about that), but he wasn’t really a ‘pioneer’.

Amazing guy. Very humble

[quote]Brutus_G wrote:
Amazing guy. Very humble[/quote]

I agree. About a month after he retired, he came into my former place of work. He is very nice and polite. Me and my work buddies asked to him out of retirement, we begged him, but he said ‘nah guys, I’m all done’ Extremely friendly and probably the nicest big name athlete I’ve ever met.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Brutus_G wrote:
Amazing guy. Very humble

I agree. About a month after he retired, he came into my former place of work. He is very nice and polite. Me and my work buddies asked to him out of retirement, we begged him, but he said ‘nah guys, I’m all done’ Extremely friendly and probably the nicest big name athlete I’ve ever met.[/quote]

A drunk OJ Simpson was the nicest big name athlete I’ve ever met. Hell of a guy. But I digress.

and he also displayed the classiest post-TD celebration of ‘em all . he usually flipped the ball to the ref and trotted off the field . no prancin’ around like the current batch of spot-light chasing mother-fuckers on the field .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
and he also displayed the classiest post-TD celebration of ‘em all . he usually flipped the ball to the ref and trotted off the field . no prancin’ around like the current batch of spot-light chasing mother-fuckers on the field .[/quote]

I agree. And even when he broke 2000 yards in one season, he played it off like it was no big deal. Much respect.

Being from Texas [Houston], all you’d ever hear about was Emmit Smith. Not to take anything away from Smith, who was a hell of a player and I’m told a really good guy, if you’d have switched them teams [or at leat o-lines]There’d be no debate as to who the greatest RB of all time is.

Growing up in Detroit, of course we all loved Barry Sanders.

One thing alot of people don’t know about Barry is how advanced his training was for the time he played. During the 90’s, he was well known for skipping out of training camp and most drills because he deemed them useless.

Barry instinctively knew how to train by himself. He was big into explosive plyometric movements, sprinting and heavy squatting at a time when alot of pro athletes, even football players weren’t.

The guys legs were the most impressive.