T Nation

Barnes Log. The Ongoing Pursuit

After being a lurker here on the forums, and watching every video that TC has posted, I decided that this was the best place for me to finally post a training log.

About Me:
Height: 5'9
Current Weight: 211
Job: Sales for a Global Electronics Manufacturer. We make the things that go in your computers and cell phones.. So I travel to China, Japan , Singapore several times a year

Lifting History:
Started lifting at home when I was 14 after my dad gave me a copy of Arnold's Education of a Bodybuilder. At that time, I was the poster child of 98 pound weakling (actually 135).
My dad was a metal fabricator and welder , so he handmade a complete weight set; benches, plates, bars , racks, etc for our basement gym. Hit it hard for the next few years, and by the time I was a Senior (1987), I was weighing around 175-180, and had the guns.

Went to college, still lifted, but not as much, then started working.
Competed in a few bodybuilding shows in 95. Then started working a job with a ton of travel, so competition was out.
Got into golf around this time as well, and fell in love with the game. Started as a 22HDCP and Currently play to a 6 HDCP.

Fast forward to today. My workouts have become more sporadic. I have been so used to the traditional BB workouts that it is hard to think about changing. I have come to the decision that I want to get stronger, and leaner.

My current best lifts:
Flat BB Bench: 245 ...sad, as 315 was np when young
Deadlift: 425
Squat: 335
Push Press: 185 - just recently added these back in

I do not normally flat bench, as shoulders were an issue. But after reading through TC's training protocols, I think that I can incorporate these back in.

Goal Lifts by XMas:
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 455
Squat: 365
Push Press: 205

I workout at an LA Fitness, so hardcore is not in the setup. Several good bodybuilders workout here though. I do not have access to bands / chains/ etc. The trainers keep the one sled locked up and you can not use it unless you pay to be trained. And like all gyms of this type- it is very crowded.

I recently took a few weeks off, as I traveled over to Japan and Singapore for 3 weeks. it was a good break, as I wanted to mix my training split up.

Here is what I am currently looking at:

Workout1: Lower Body
Workout2: Upper Body
Workout3: CNS / cardio
Workout4: Lower Body
Workout5: Upper Body
Workout6: Lats / Bis

Lower Body will be:
W1: Squat / Deadlift
W4: Deadlift / Squats

Upper Body will be:
W2: Push Press / Incline BB bench / Flat BB bench / Dips
W5: Standing DB Press / Incline DB Bench / Flat BB bench (or DB)/ Dips or Tri pressdown

W6: Pull ups, lat pulls, preacher curls

I would like to incorporate Power Cleans and Snatches , but not sure on which day.
Plus I have NEVER tried Snatch's before, and LA is not really geared for this lift. I don't want to drop it, so any advise on this lift is appreciated.

For Supplements, this has been hit or miss for me. I eat fairly clean, but I am sure this could be improved. In the past I have used Beverly products, but feel that the UMP protein actually added some fat to my frame.
Any supp protocol ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry for the Long Post.. I look forward to keeping the log updated. All the over 35'rs are an inspiration to me.

I think this picture uploaded. My 42nd B-Day pic

9/29 -Workout - Lower Body

WU: 5 min bike / 5x5 box jumps
BB Squats:
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 2

Hyper Extensions - BW 3x5

Sumo Deadlifts:
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 3
335 x 3

Step Machine: 15 minutes
Stretching

My back has been a little tweaked, mainly from the recent trip , sitting in coach for 20+ hours is not fun.
So I did not push further on squats.
I had looked for the Trap Bar, as I wanted to do Trap Bar Deadlifts, but the gym keeps that locked up as well, and I could not convince the trainer to let me use it. (they save for "clients")
So I tried Sumo Deadlifts. I havent done these in years, as I have being doing standard DL for a while. But they felt great. Could have gotten a bit more, but did not want to sacrifice form.

Welcome. We are similar height, weight and strength levels. I'll be following.

Welcome to the over the hill Meathead group.

Welcome aboard bro, I am LA Fitnesser myself...

Thanks for the welcome...

Today's work: Upper Body

WU: Medicine Ball Toss

Standing BB Push Press
45 x 10
90 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 3
155 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3

Incline BB Bench
135 x 5
165 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 3

Flat BB Bench
185 x 3
195 x 3
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 3
185 x 5

Tricep Pressdown:
200 x 3 sets of 6 reps

Abs: Incline Situp / Medicine Ball twists = 3 superset

Cardio: 10 Minutes - Stepper Lvl 7

Good numbers. You must be huge in the Orient. Welcome to the house TC built, for us old dogs. Keeps us out of trouble but ready for it! Give'r Hell!

Welcome.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I hope to get my bench up and continue to increase overall strength. For that purpose, I changed gyms today. I decided to go with a small Hardcore Gym (J.P's Premier Fitness) that is a little but further from my house than LA, but more geared to powerlifting and strongman.

Today was W6: Lats, Bi's
Nothing extravagant.
Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
6 sets , ramped up to 200 x 4 on final two sets with good form
DB row - 3 sets 6 reps
Bar Curls - 3x90 8 reps
DB Hammer grip curls - 3x30 8 reps - Very strict, hold at the top form
One Arm Kettlebell Swings- 3 sets 10 reps