Barley1 - Fiready Log

Workout #9
Weight: 181lbs

Lats
Pump–BB Row x 155lbs x 8, NG Chin + 10 lbs x 8, Pullover x 60 lbs x 8

Stimulate–Pullover x 60 lbs x 8 (got 10, final hold was a struggle)

Flutter–Pullover x 50 lbs

*The weights here felt just about perfect. Maybe should add a couple pounds to the stimulate set.

Triceps
Pump–Close Grip Bench Press x 160 lbs x 10, Band Pressdown x 10, Close Grip Bench Press x 115lbs x 10

Stimulate–Overhead Triceps Extension x 30 lbs x 8 (got 10), Overhead Triceps Extension 20 lbs x 8

Flutter–Overhead Triceps Extension x 20 lbs

*I haven’t checked any of my notebooks, but it seems my close grip bench strength is higher than I remember it being, like ever. I think I could hit 165lbs for 10 next time. Like I mentioned earlier, I lose A LOT of strength between sets. I’ve always been like this, especially on upper body pressing exercises. The drop to 115 lbs was necessary for the second set of close grip bench. It still felt right.

Biceps
Pump–Narrow BB Curl x 65lbs x 8, Chin up x BW x *, Wide Grip BB Curl x 65 lbs x 8

Stimulate–15lb DBs for Zottman Curls x 10, Hammer Curls x 10, Regular Curls x 10

Flutter–BB Curl x 55lbs

*I’m getting better at the flutter reps. As I crank out reps, they just sort of slow down all of a sudden. Partial rep, say, 12 moves just fine, but 13 is significantly slower. I keep pumping away until the weight has slowed way, way down, usually 4-8 more after that first slow rep.

Chest
Pump–Bench Press x 135 x 10, Incline Fly x 40s x 10 (accidentally set the incline at 60-degrees, felt way harder than at 45-degrees), Pushup x BW x 10

Stimulate–Bench Press x 135 lbs x 10 (nope, got 5), strip to 115 lbs x 10 with beginning, ending hold

Flutter–Bench Press x 115lbs

*I freaked out when I struggled to hit 135 lbs on the stimulate portion. It occurred to me what is going on well after the workout. I treated the first couple workouts as regular benching with a 10-second pause at the beginning and end. Now, I’ve focused on and dialed in the slow second-half negative–five seconds or so–and added a one second pause about an inch off the chest. I’ve totally killed any stretch reflex. It’s wild how much difference this makes. It also really keeps the stimulation on the pecs.

**Went to local fireworks last night and saw an old friend. One of the strange things about getting older is how my friends fall strictly into two camps. One camp is of the mindset: “I’m middle-aged now, nothing to do but eat crap, drink beer and get fat.” Most all of my friends fall squarely in this group. The second camp is of the mindset: "I’m middled aged now. Time to take care of myself, exercise, eat well, and enjoy my time on this planet. There’s a lot of living left to do. " This would be me and, like, one and a half of my friends.

2 Likes

Workout #10
Weight: 179.8

Thighs (Oh no!)
Pump–BSS toe out x 10 + 20 lb DB, SLDL 125lbs x 10, BSS toes in + 20 lb

Stimulate–Front Squat 105 lbs x 10, BSS BW x 10, SLDL 125 lbs x 8

Flutter–BSS

*This smoked me. The burn on the Stimulate Front Squats and BSS was insane–I’ve never felt anything like that before. Focusing on slow second-half rep speed and a brief pause in the stretch position each rep makes a HUGE difference. I had to pause at the top on a few reps because the burn was more than I could tolerate. I was sorta crying and sorta foaming at the mouth on the last few reps of both–probably not a look I’d ever want to see on any human being. Ever. Single-leg work is something else.

Calves
Pump–Calf raise onto plate 145lbs x 12, Trap Bar Calf raise onto plate 155lbs x 12, Calf raise, no plate 145 x 12

Stimulate–SLDL, toes elevated 95 lbs x 8, Trap Bar Calf raise 155lbs x 12

Flutter–Trap Bar Calf Raise

*Wasn’t much left in the legs after the thigh work. I shook like a leaf cranking out the SLDLs.

Shoulders
Pump–OH bar hang +20 lbs x 45 seconds, Lat raise 10 lb DB x 10, Upright row 30 lb DB x 10

Stimulate–Overhead Press 105 lbs x 10, Lat raise 10 lb DB x 10, Trap Bar carry 185 lbs x 40 steps, Shrug 155 lbs x 10

Flutter–Lateral raise x 10 lb DB

*Weights felt good. Could probably add 5lbs to Overhead press.

Biceps
Pump–Narrow Grip Curl 65 lbs x 8, Chin BW x 8, Wide grip curl 65 lbs x 4, NOPE, dropped to 45 lbs x 8

Stimulate–15 lbs DB for Zottman Curl x 10, Hammer x 10, Regular Curl–had to take a short break on rep five before knocking out the last five

Flutter–BB Curl

*My arms were blown up afterwards. If I wasn’t laying in a puddle of my own sweat, I would’ve snapped a picture or two. I’m doing a lot better moving the weight by contracting the targeted muscle rather than moving from point A to B. The difference in the pump is incredible.

**This workout started out rough. I wasn’t feeling it. It’s been hot, haven’t been sleeping well. As is often the case, I felt better at the end of the workout than I did at the beginning, probably because of the Surge. And because the leg work was over.

3 Likes

Workout #11
Weight: ??? forgot to hop on scale this morning

Chest
Pump—Bench 175 lbs x 11, Incline DB Flies 40s x 10, Pushup x 10

Stimulate–Bench 135 lbs x 9 (didn’t have ten in me)

Flutter–Bench 115 lbs

*Bench pressing felt much better as the first exercise in the workout. Kept constant tension on the pecs. Chest felt pumped when I was done.

Lats
Pump–BB Row 155 lbs x 8, NG Chin BW + 10 lbs x 8, DB Pullover 60 lbs x 8

Stimulate–DB Pullover 60 lbs x 11

Flutter–DB Pullover 50 lbs

*I was a bit conservative with the weights here because of the overlap between chest and back exercises. DB pullovers, at least for me, are one of the greatest triceps exercises ever. I think they work my triceps harder than anything else. On the final hold on the stimulate set, my triceps and lats shook uncontrollably for six or seven seconds.

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 160 lbs x 5, NOPE, dropped to 140 lbs x 10, Red band press downs x 10, Close grip bench press 115 lbs x 10

Stimulate–Overhead Triceps extension 33 lb DB x 8, NO REST, Overhead Triceps extension 23 lb DB (too heavy) x 4 PAUSE x 4 more, PAUSE then 6

Flutter–Overhead triceps extension 20 lb DB

*Chest work and db pullovers greatly reduced strength in my triceps. I have old Weider plates that came in 3 lb increments, which is the reason for 33 and 23 lb dumbbells. It takes a while to adjust the dumbbells, so I rest-paused my way through the triceps extensions instead of changing the weight. Weird how I was stronger after the second 10-15 second pause.

Calves
Pump–BB Calf raise on plate 145 lbs x 12, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155 lbs x 12, BB Calf raise (no plate) 145 lbs x 12

Stimulate–SLDL (toes elevated) 115 lbs x 8, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155 lbs x 12

Flutter–Trap Bar calf raise x 155 lbs

**Another workout in the books. The Lemon Drop Surge is great on hot days. I’ll get on the scale tomorrow morning. On Tuesday, I’ll complete the first four weeks of the Surge Challenge and it looks like I’ll be going out with a bang: Legs day!

1 Like

Workout #12
Weight: 182.2 (!)

Legs
Pump–Wide squat 145 lbs x 8, Narrow squat 145 lbs x 8, Normal squat 145 lbs x 8

Stimulate–Squat 165 lbs x 10 (or 11, or maybe 100. But probably 11)

Flutter–Squat 135 lbs x some

*Squats moved really well today. I felt strong. This doesn’t mean the squats were easy-- the stimulate set was hard work. I tend to lose count of the reps on hard sets.

Calves
Pump–Standing calf raise onto plate 155 lbs x 12, Trap bar calf raise onto plate 155 lbs x 12, Standing calf raise no plate 155 lbs x 12

Stimulate–SLDL, toes up 125 lbs x 8 (could go heavier next time), Trap bar calf raise onto plate 155 lbs x 12

Flutter–Calf raise 155 lbs

Shoulders
Pump–Overhand bar hang BW + 20 lbs x 45 sec, Lateral raise 10 lb DBs x 10, Upright row 36 lb DBs

Stimulate–Barbell Overhead Press 110 lbs x 10, Lateral raise 10 lb DBs x 10, Trap bar carry 205 lbs x 45 steps (and three turns in my 15-step wide basement), Shrugs 155 lbs x 10

Flutter–Lateral raise 10 lb DBs x 10

Biceps
Pump–Narrow grip curl 65 lbs x 8, Chinup BW x 8, Wide grip curl 45 lbs x 8

Stimulate–15 lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer, Regular curls x 10 each

Flutter–Barbell curl 45 lbs

**I remember reading something Brian Johnston wrote about adjusting weights on the fly. For example, if a weight is too heavy, shorten the range of motion; if it’s too light, use a full range of motion and add weak-position holds. He also mentioned focusing on the targeted muscle if it’s a little light and bracing a bit if it’s too heavy. I’m leaps and bounds better at both strategies now if I misjudge a weight–and I still do so often. I simply can’t judge the effects of cumulative fatigue.

**One other thought that popped into my head laying on the floor after the squats: I wonder what regular straight sets will feel like when I return to them. I kinda suspect that the lack of a pause, slow negative, and long holds will leave me feeling unfulfilled if/when I go back to regular sets.

1 Like

Workout #13
Weight: 180.6

Thighs
Pump–Split squat (toe out) BW +20lbs x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 8, Split squat (toe in) BW +20lbs

Stimulate–Front Squat 115lbs x 10 (I did at least 10, I think I got 12. Counting is hard), Split squat BW x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 8

Flutter–Split squat x some

Chest
Pump–Bench press 165lbs x 12, Fly 40lb DBs x 10, Pushup BW x 10

Stimulate–Bench press 125lbs x 10

Flutter–Bench press 115lbs x some

Lats
Pump–Barbell Row 145lbs x 8, NG Chins BW x 8, Pullover 60lbs x 8

Stimulate–Pullover 60lbs x 8

Flutter–Pullover 50lbs x 8

Forearms
Pump–BB wrist curl 65lbs x 12, BB Reverse wrist curl 45lbs x 10, Standing reverse curl 45lbs x 10

Stimulate–Wrist curls 65lbs x 12

Flutter–Wrist curls 65lbs x some

**Overall, I’m happy with the workout. Doing legs first slowed the pace of things. Immediately afterwards, it became a chore to kneel and pick things up off the floor, squat down to adjust dumbbells, etc. I used less weight on the subsequent exercises because the lack of leg tension kills my bench press and even barbell rows strength.

I’ll try to remember to get some pictures soon. I’ve tried and am terrible at it. Congratulations to anyone who can intentionally take even remotely similar photos on different days. The wife is out of town, so it’ll wait until she gets back.

Workout #14
Weight: 184 lbs

Biceps
Pump–Narrow Curl 65lbs x 8, Chin @BW x 8, Wide Curl 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–15 lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer, and Regular Curls x 10 each

Flutter–BB Curls 45lbs

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press–170lbs x 10, Band pressdowns x 12, Close grip bench press 115lbs x 10

Stimulate–DB OH Triceps extension 33lbs x 10, DB OH triceps extension 20lbs x 10

Flutter–DB OH Triceps extension x 20lbs

Shoulders
Pump–OH bar hang–50 seconds, Lat raise 10lbs DBs x 10, Upright row 36lbs x 10

Stimulate–BB Overhead press 95 x 10, Lateral raise 10lbs DBs x 10, Trap Bar Carry 205 lbs x 45 steps, Shrug 155lbs x 10

Flutter–Lateral raise 10lbs DBs

Legs
Pump–Wide squat 145lbs x 8, Narrow squat 145lbs x 8, Regular Squat 145lbs x 8

Stimulate–Squat 170lbs x 10 (I got 11, I think)

Flutter–Squat 135lbs

**Good workout overall. I dread the leg/thigh workouts, but bite down on the proverbial gumshield and power through. Originally, the wide and narrow stance pump sets were incredibly difficult–I’ve never squatted using anything other than my “normal” stance before. I’m increasingly comfortable with both and feel much stronger. I should probably add 5-10lbs to the pump sets and see where it goes. I absolutely cannot add any more weight to the stimulate sets of squats. The slow negative and pause really catch up to me around rep 6 or so. I sped up the negative for the last four, felt bad, and did an extra squat to make up for it. I was near my limit on rep 11.

Looking at other logs, it seems most gravitate towards going heavier on the pump sets than the stimulate sets. This is true for me with everything except squats. Maybe I should try a workout with significantly heavier pump sets? Then again, I feel like I’m doing 24 consecutive squats, starting with the weakest foot position, so maybe lighter makes sense?

Also, forgot to add that I measured my arms before and after this workout.

Arms before:14" on the nose
Arms after:15" (or a tad more or less depending on where on my arm I measured)

According to Men’s Health (or some other magazine I read at the dentist), the average American man has 14.6" arms, so with Surge, I’m above average. That’s cool. I’m pretty sure when I started lifting seriously a few years ago, my arms were, like, 12.75". Roelly Winklaar I am not.

Workout #15
Weight: 183.4

Lats
Pump–BB Row 155lbs x 8 (did 9), NG Chins BW x 8 (did 12), DB Pullover 60lbs x 8 (should add weight next time)

Stimulate–DB Pullover 65lbs x 8 (did 12)

Flutter–DB pullover 50lbs

Chest
Pump–Bench 185lbs x 10, Inc DB Fly 40s x 10, Pushup x 10

Stimulate–Bench 125lbs x 6, nope 115 x 6

Flutter–Bench 115lbs

*Got a little greedy on the bench press stimulate set and shot for the moon (for me, not the guys on here who bench press pickup trucks). Pretty sure 185lbs is the most I’ve ever benched for 10. Honestly, about a year ago, I think 165lbs was the most I ever benched…and it was for 8. Anyhow, got greedy and had to reduce the weights for the Stimulate set.

Biceps
Pump–Narrow Grip Curl 65lbs x 10, Chin x 8, Wide grip curl 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–15lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer, Regular x 10

Flutter-BB Curls at 45lbs

**I skipped calves today. I was unusually pressed for time, sandwiched between work and picking up the kid from day camp, and something had to give. I might stick them in at the end of one of the next workouts–I hate that feeling of leaving something out.

Just looked at the next week–three straight leg workouts. Oh boy.

Workout #16
Weight: 185lbs (what is happening?)

Legs
Pump–Wide squat, narrow squat, regular squat 155lbs x 8 each

Stimulate–Regular squat 170lbs x 10

Flutter–Squat 135lbs

*Felt like I nailed the weights on this one. Will hold for the next workout.

Calves
Pump–Standing BB calf raise on plate 155lbs x 15, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12, BB calf raise, no plate 155lbs x 15

Stimulate–SLDL 135lbs x 8, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12

Flutter–Trap bar calf raise 155lbs

Shoulders
Pump–OH bar hang 45 sec, Lat raise 10lb DBs x 10, Upright row 36lbs DBs x 12

Stimulate–BB Overhead press 110lbs x 10, Lat raise 10lb DBs x 10, Trap bar carry 205lbs x 40 steps, BB Shrugs 155lbs x 10

Flutter–Lateral raise 10lb DBs

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 160lbs x 10, Red band pressdown x 12, Close grip bench press 115lbs x 10

Stimulate–OH DB triceps extension 33lbs DB x 9 DROP to 23lbs DB x 10

Flutter–OH DB triceps extension 23lbs

*Another solid workout. Everything felt right this go around, though judging weights is still a bit of a challenge. I don’t know if it’s the Surge or just my body adapting, but my legs weren’t complete Jello after the 32+ squats. Changing weights, kneeling, etc. wasn’t as big of a struggle as it has been.

I returned from a fishing vacation in early June at 172ish lbs. I’m now 13lbs heavier. While some of this is water from increasing my carb intake, I’m bigger through the chest, shoulders, back, and arms. I wish I had before photos of my legs…they seem to be growing the most.

Workout #17
Weight: 185.8lbs (seriously, what?)

Shoulders
Pump–OH bar hang BW +20lbs 50 seconds, Lat raise 10lbs DBs x 12, DB Upright row x 40lb DBs

Stimulate–BB Overhead press 115lbs x 9, Lat raise 10lb DBs x 10, Trap bar carry 215lbs x 45 steps, Shrug 155lbs x 10

Flutter–Lateral raise 10lb DBs

Legs
Pump–155lbs x 8 for Wide stance squat, narrow stance squat, regular stance squat

Stimulate–Regular stance squat 170lbs x 10

Flutter–Squat x 135lbs

Chest
Pump–Bench 165lbs x 12, Incline DB fly 40lb DBs x 12, Pushup x 12

Stimulate–Bench 115lbs x 10

Flutter–115lbs

Forearms
Pump–BB Wrist curl 65lbs x 15, Rev BB wrist curl 45 x 12, Standing reverse curl 45lbs x 14

Stimulate–Wrist curl 65lbs x 12

Flutter–Wrist curl 65lbs

*All pretty solid. Like I keep saying, I can’t quite nail down how much one exercise affects another. I thought doing shoulders would make me weaker for the chest exercises, so I dropped the weights a bit. Felt like I didn’t need to. For the Shoulders block, I tried squeezing my shoulders up on the overhand bar hang with an additional 20lbs. That made me weaker than I was previously for overhead press.

It’s a real balancing act here.

I’ve been keeping calories significantly lower than recommended…2800 or so. I’m still gaining weight. It has to be water weight from the daily half-gallon or so of Surge, doesn’t it? At the moment, I feel like a water balloon, like if someone poked me with a needle, a geyser of Lemon Drop Surge would shoot out.

Workout #18 (end of Phase 3)
Weight: 184.6

Thighs
Pump–Split squat (toe out) BW + 20lbs x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 10, Split squat (toe in) BW + 20lbs x 10

Stimulate–Front squat 115lbs x 11, Split squat BW x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 8

Flutter–Split squat x BW

Lats
Pump–BB Row 155lbs x 9, NG Chin BW x 8, DB pullover 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–Pullover 70lbs x 8

Flutter–Pullover 50lbs

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 155lbs x 10, Pressdown with bands x 12, Close grip bench press 115 x 10

Stimulate–Overhead DB triceps extension 33lbs x 9, NO REST 23lbs x 8

Flutter–Overhead triceps extension 23lbs

Biceps
Pump–Narrow curl 70lbs x 8, Chinup BW x 8, Wide grip curl 65 x 8

Stimulate–15lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer, Regular Curls

Flutter–BB Curl 45lbs

**I keep keeping on. The single leg stuff is just ridiculously hard for me. My thighs get massively pumped, the burn is next level painful, and I have to dig deep. Thank goodness it only lasts a few minutes. I dread the Thigh block more than anything else, but it seems to be doing wonders for my legs AND I think it’s the reason I feel like I’m moving better. I don’t do any mobility stuff, so I chalk it up to building strength through a full range of motion.

Current plan: I’ll get through Phase 4 over the next two weeks, then take a five-day mini vacation in Michigan, then wrap up Phases 5 and 6, probably by mid-September. Not sure what I’ll do afterwards.

1 Like

Workout #19 (Beginning of phase 4)
Weight: 184

Thighs
Pump–Split squat BW + 20lbs (toe out) x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 8, Split squat BW + 20 (toe in)
Stimulate–Front squat 115lbs x 30/10/30, Split squat BW x 10, SLDL x 8
Flutter–Split squat BW

*The final 30 second descent on the front squat was wild. My legs were trembling at the halfway point, then shaking uncontrollably–we’re talking giraffe on ice skates shaking–by the time I got to the bottom.

Lats
Pump–BB Row 160lbs x 9, NG Chin x 8, Pullover 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–Pullover 60lbs x 30/10/30

Flutter–Pullover x 50lbs (bump to 55 next time)

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 155lbs x 10, Band press down red x 12, Close grip bench press 115 x 10

Stimulate–Overhead DB triceps extension 30lbs x 30/10/30 NO REST 20 lbsx x 20

Flutter–Overhead DB triceps extension 20lbs

Forearms
Pump–Wrist curl x 65lbs, Reverse wrist curl x 55lbs, Reverse curl x 55

Stimulate–Wrist curl 65lbs x 30/10/30

Flutter–Wrist curl 65lbs

*This was my first experience with 30/10/30 and had no idea what weights to use. It seems like I can use approximately the same weights as with earlier phases. With 30/10/30, it feels like I build up to one horrible negative that burns like hell and makes me question life. With the slower negatives, pauses, and 10-second holds from the previous phases, I questioned life most of the second half of each set; it felt harder. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Workout #20
Weight: 185.8 lbs

Shoulders
Pump–Overhand bar hang BW +20lbs 50 seconds, DB lateral raises 10lb DBs x 10, Front DB raise 40lb DBs x 10

Stimulate–BB Overhead press 105lbs x 30/10/30, DB lateral raises 10lb DBs x 10, Trap bar carry 220lbs x 40 steps, Trap bar shrug 155lbs x 10

Flutter–DB lateral raises 10lb DBs

Lats
Pump–BB row 165lbs x 8, Neutral grip chin BW x 8, DB Pullover 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–DB Pullover 70lbs x 30/10/30

Flutter–DB Pullover 60lbs

Biceps
Pump–Narrow grip BB curl 70lbs x 8, Chin up BW x 8, Wide grip curl 55lbs x 8

Stimulate–15lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer Curls, 45lb BB curls for 30/10/30*

Flutter–BB curls 45lbs

Calves
Pump–Standing calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12, Standing calf raise (no plate) 155lbs

Stimulate–SLDL 135lbs x 8, Trap car calf raise on plate 155lbs x 30/10/30*

Flutter–Trap bar calf raise 155lbs

*The 30/10/30 reps on Overhead Press and DB Pullovers were smooth as butter. (Not really, there was a lot of heavy breathing, and grunting…but they felt effective).

I’ve really been focusing on squeezing and contracting on the curls; when I finished the Hammer curls I knew that I didn’t have the 30/10/30 in me with DBs, so I tried a barbell. I did the 30 second negative and got…2 repetitions. I took a 30-second break and got 5 more, another break for 4 more, and another break for 2 and the 30-second negative.

The 30/10/30 did not go well with calf raises…the focus quickly became on me keeping my balance on the initial 30-second descent. It was, to say the least, a struggle. Same on the final 30-second descent. Next time, I’ll try supported single leg calf raises, holding a dumbbell in one hand and holding a support with the other. No need to worry about me finding a support: I have an old basement–there’s plenty of stuff to grab onto.

**I really haven’t been paying much attention to myself in the mirror past few weeks. The other day at work, I noticed I was suffocating because my shirt–which was too large at the beginning of summer–is now straining at the seams trying to contain all this recently added manliness, lol.

1 Like

Workout #21
Weight: 184.6lbs

Chest
Pump–Bench press 185lbs x 11, Incline DB fly 40s x 10, Pushup BW x 12

Stimulate–Bench press 125lbs x 30/10/30 (could probably go 5-10lbs heavier)

Flutter–Bench 115lbs

Biceps
Pump–Wide grip curl 70lbs x 8, Chin BW x 8, Narrow grip curl 55lbs x 8

Stimulate–15lbs DBs Zottman, Hammer x 10 THEN BB curls 45lbs x 30/10/30*

Flutter–BB curl x 45lbs

*Nailed 5 reps on the 30/10/30 BB curls, paused for 15 seconds, then knocked out six more and the final negative.

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 155lbs x 11, Band pressdowns x 12, Close grip bench press 115lbs x 12 (could probably add weight next time)

Stimulate–Overhead triceps extension 33lbs x 30/10/30 NO REST Overhead triceps extension 20lbs x 10

Flutter–Overhead triceps extension 23 lbs (add weight next time)

Legs
Pump–Wide stance squat, Narrow stance squat, Regular stance squat all for 155lbs x 8

Stimulate–Regular squat 175lbs x 30/10/30**

Flutter–Regular squat 135lbs

**I did not last 30-seconds on the final descent. As with front squats a couple of days ago, the tension increased until the halfway point down; by then I was resisting the descent, not so much controlling it. After 10-15 more seconds, my legs were shaking all over the place and I eased the bar onto the safeties. Probably totaled 20-25 seconds.

1 Like

You had a fine, fine workout. Keep going.

1 Like

Thanks, coach!

I’ll stick with the plan until the end. It’s been a great experience so far…and those leg workouts are killer.

Workout#22
Weight: 185.4lbs

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench press 170lbs x 10, Band pressdown x 12, Close grip bench press 125lbs x 12

Stimulate–Overhead DB triceps extension 36lbs 30/10/30 NO REST 20lbs x 10

Flutter–Overhead DB triceps extension 26lbs

Lats
Pump–BB Row 170lbs x 8, Neutral grip chin BW x 8, DB Pullover 65lbs x 8

Stimulate–DB Pullover 30/10/30… was actually 30/9/20

Flutter–DB Pullover 60lbs

Forearms
Pump–Wrist curl 65lbs x 12, Reverse wrist curl 65lbs x 12, Reverse curl 55lbs x 8

Stimulate–Wrist curl 75lbs x 30/10/30

Flutter–Wrist curl 65lbs

Calves
Pump–BB standing calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12, Trap bar calf raise on plate 155lbs x 12, BB standing calf raise no plate 155lbs x 12

Stimulate–SLDL (toes elevated) 135lbs x 8, Single leg DB calf raise on plate 30/10/30

Flutter–Single leg DB calf raise on plate

*All in all, I felt like this was a very workman-like performance. Some days, I’m super excited to lift. Other days I just don’t feel it. Today was one of the latter: I had no motivation, and everything felt a bit heavy, but I ground through.

Using a dumbbell for supported single leg calf raises was the way to go–it prevented my balance from being a limiting factor.

Two more workouts, both involving legs, before a five-day vacation in Michigan.

2 Likes

Catching up on logging here… Lifted on Friday, but had to run to get up to a quick, pre-vacation fishing trip with a couple friends. Caught bass, bluegill, crappie, and a lone channel cat between two brilliant orange Midwestern sunrises and sunsets.

Workout #23–Legs, Chest, Biceps, Forearms

Legs
Pump–Wide squat, narrow squat, regular squat 155lbs x 8 each
Stimulate–Regular squat 175lbs x 30/10/30
Flutter–Regular squat–135lbs

Chest
Pump–Bench press 175lbs x 10, Incline DB flies x 40s, Pushups x 10
Stimulate–Bench press 135 x 30/10/30
Flutter–Bench press 115

Biceps
Pump–Narrrow curl 70lbs x 8, Chinups x BW x 8, Wide grip curl 55lbs x 8
Stimulate–15lb DBs for Zottman, Hammer curls x 10 each, BB curl 45lbs 30/6/4/30 (had to break up the 10 continuous reps with a few breaths)
Flutter–BB curl 45lbs

Forearms
Pump–Wrist curl 75lbs x 15, Reverse wrist curl 55lbs x 12, Reverse curl 45lbs x 10
Stimulate–Wrist curl 75lbs x 30/10/30
Flutter–Wrist curl 65lbs

*Everything felt pretty solid. Finished workout, mixed up some Surge and hit the road. I was on the water an hour and a half later.

1 Like

Workout #24 (today)
Weight: 185.8

Thighs
Pump–BSS (toe out) +20lbs x 10, SLDL x 135lbs x 8, BSS (toe in) +20lbs x 10
Stimulate–Front squat 115 x 30/10/30 (add 5-10lbs next time), BSS BW x 10, SLDL 135lbs x 8
Flutter–BSS BW

Shoulders
Pump–Overhand bar hang x 60 seconds, Lateral raise 10lb DBs x 10, Front DB raise 40s x 10
Stimulate–Barbell overhead press 105lbs x 30/10/30 (add 5lbs next time), Lateral raise 10lbs x 10, Trap bar frame carry 225lbs x 50ish steps, Shrug 155lbs x 10
Flutter–DB lateral raise 10lbs

Chest
Pump–Bench press 175lbs x 10, Incline DB fly 40s x 10, Pushup BW x 10
Stimulate–Bench press 140lbs x 30/10/30 (a tad heavy)
Flutter–Bench press 115lbs

*I skipped calves. Got home later than planned from my weekend fishing getaway. Had to run my kid to swimming lessons and something had to give. Heading to Michigan and taking the next five days off from training. I may do some kayaking, but doubt I’ll do much other physical activity.

There is a beach near the place we’re staying that has a set of monkey bars that run in an arc; you travel up for the first half, then down for the second half, as well as across. They’re incredibly hard. I couldn’t do them as a kid; I’ve never seen anyone complete them. I finally got across them three years ago at 40. I’ll probably do those a few times to show off for all the bored beach moms.

I’ll finish up phases 5 and 6 of the Surge challenge when I get back, which will see me through the end of summer and the first couple weeks of school (I’m a teacher). I’m not sure what kinda program I’ll do afterwards.

Cool to see the Surge Metcon Challange program. Looking forward to seeing the results.

1 Like

Workout #25
Weight: 184.4 lbs (weight hit 188 first day of vacation)

Biceps
Pump–Narrow curl 75lbs x 8, Chin BW +10lbs x 8, Wide grip curl 55lbs x 8
Stimulate–17.5s for Zottman, Hammer Curls x 10, BB curl 45lbs 30/5/5/30 --had to take a quick breather after five reps
Flutter–BB curls 45lbs

Triceps
Pump–Close grip bench–165lbs x 12, Band pressdown x 12, Close grip bench press 125lbs x 12
Stimulate–Overhead DB triceps extension 36lbs 30/12/20 (should bump weight up and only do 10 reps) NO REST Overhead DB triceps extension 20lbs x 10
Flutter–Overhead DB triceps extension 25lbs

Lats
Pump–Barbell row 165lbs x 8, Neutral grip chins BW x 8, Pullover 65lbs x 8
Stimulate–Pullover 70lbs x 30/10/20 (as is usually the case, I lost count here. I think I was at 11, but my brain doesn’t work so well under heavy loads–or, really, ever)
Flutter–Pullover 60lbs

Forearms
Pump–Wrist curl 85lbs x 12, Reverse wrist curl 55lbs x 12, Reverse BB curl 45lbs x 10
Stimulate–Wrist Curl 75lbs 30/10/30
Flutter–Wrist curl 75lbs

*I’ve been on a family vacation for the last six days. I did zero exercise, paid no attention to my diet and even drank a few beers with my brother.

Weights moved pretty easy today, but everything felt heavy. I picked up the barbell for rows and thought “There’s no way I can move this.” Then I did, eight times. Funny how that works. By the midway point, I felt like I was sweating french fry grease and lager.

Grateful to be back at it, especially today, on my 44th birthday.

Now for some steak.

1 Like