barley as carb source

I was looking at using barley as a new source of carbs in my diet. It is very low on the glycemic scale and has good amount of fiber in it. The only thing is it has no taste. does anybody else out there use barley or can you just not stomach it.

I cook it with chicken stock instead of water. Trader Joe’s (if you have one in your area) has organic/no sodium stock cheap. For additional flavor, (say you are making 4 cups cooked yield)I throw in a small onion cut in half, a few cloves of garlic, and maybe a stalk of celery or a carrot. Cut the veggies large and you can fish them out easily, since you are just using them to add flavor. I also like to add some sea salt, dash of pepper, and a bit of thyme and sage.

I also use it in place of oatmeal from time to time. I like it with (again for about 4 cups) 2 tbls almond or peanut butter, 2 tsp vanilla, cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg.

Use chicken or beef stock. I like to add diced onion, carrot and celery(small dice). Add a little fresh tomato or tomato paste, cayenne, and a bayleaf for a little extra flavor.