T Nation

Barely Avoided Disaster

Ok its bench day. A friend comes over. Hes a pretty big guy, about 240 or so. My two sons are there so I felt comfortable getting heavy.
10 reps @ 135, 8 reps @ 185, 6 reps @ 225, 5 reps @ 275, 5 sets x 3 reps @ 315, 10 reps @ 225.
Press behind the neck 2 x 12 x 95.
Incline 2 sets 10 reps @ 155
push ups 25.

My first 4 sets @ 315 went well. Moved the weight fast. On my last set I didnt chalk up. I was rushing because it was getting dark. I just forgot. The first rep felt good, the second came down fine. When I started back up I threw up. Right when that happened The bar started to roll. I couldnt concentrate and the bar rolled out of my left hand. My son wasnt right under it. It came down on my chest. They got it right off so I was able to spit the crap out of my mouth!

I feel fine. Im not hurt or any thing. Ill never forget to chalk again, I can tell you that!
When Jimmy T hears about this he will probly have my head.

Thumbless grip?

Glad you weren’t injured!

No. But Im double jointed in that thumb. It just rolled out.
Thing is Im taking creatine(sp) and, Im not used to it. Thats the second time Ive thrown up in the middle of a set on this stuff. I wish I knew how to stop it.

[quote]63Galaxie wrote:
No. But Im double jointed in that thumb. It just rolled out.
Thing is Im taking creatine(sp) and, Im not used to it. Thats the second time Ive thrown up in the middle of a set on this stuff. I wish I knew how to stop it.[/quote]

Whoops, I misread the vomiting part. That would certainly affect one’s concentration!

I can’t take that stuff but in small doses. Cramps me something awful if I get too much. I pretty much gave up on it. Beta-alanine is purported to have similar benefits without the negatives.

Wow! Glad you got out unscathed! I don’t even know if chalk would have helped in this situation?

Cappy

Not to sound like a dick…but I don’t think blaming a lack of chalk for this when you had 3 spotters is an accurate assessment.

How soon before you lift do you take the creatine? If throwing up has happened before on it maybe it’s either too soon or you still have too much food in your stomach.

You know, Im not sure if chalk would have prevented it or not but, it couldnt hurt. After it happened my hand did feel a little slick compared to what im used to.

My one son hadnt spotted for me in a wile. I know it took him by complete surprise.I just dont think anyone expected it. I mean the weight was moving up and down so fast, there was just no sign of trouble until…

Im taking it about an hour before.I just dont get it. Last time I didnt eat a bite so, I thought that was the prob. This time I had a couple bites of something.

Take your creatine AFTER your workout. It doesn’t have an immediate effect that you will feel right away (like caffeine, for instance). It must build up in your muscle tissues. That will happen quicker if you take it at the end of your training when the muscle cells are more receptive.

If it still makes you puke, then back off on the dosage until you don’t feel queasy. In any case, it’s better to feel sick in the locker room rather than when you have a loaded bar over your face. &^{

Glad you weren’t injured!

Damn, I’ve never heard of anything like that before. I’ve tried to throw-up after a set but not during. Glad you’re OK bro!

Take your creatine dissolved in hot tea and it won’t be as hard on your stomach.

Also, remember that creatine taken today is for tomorrow’s workout, essentially (as Kruiser said)-- you’re restocking what’s used. I down mine first thing in the morning in my green tea and no longer have the gurgles and don’t have to worry about disrupting my workout.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Take your creatine AFTER your workout. It doesn’t have an immediate effect that you will feel right away (like caffeine, for instance). It must build up in your muscle tissues. That will happen quicker if you take it at the end of your training when the muscle cells are more receptive.

If it still makes you puke, then back off on the dosage until you don’t feel queasy. In any case, it’s better to feel sick in the locker room rather than when you have a loaded bar over your face. &^{

Glad you weren’t injured![/quote]

I agree…post workout.

Damn, guess I’ll just stick with my pre work out coffee.

Glad you weren’t hurt…seen that a few times and it’s not pretty.

So…did the creatine taste good the 2nd time around?

Glad you weren’t hurt and this is a good reminder not to bench alone !

The directions on the stuff I have says take it 30 - 45 min before. It has some other stuff in it. Thats the only reason I did it that way.
As far as that goes, this is the first time in my life that Ive taken anything ( other than protine ). I dont know anything about this sort of stuff.
Even though my son kinda missed his spot, Im very thankful they were there. The only thing that bothers me is my wrist is sore. I hope it heals before next Bench Day!

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
Damn, I’ve never heard of anything like that before. I’ve [thrown up] after a set but not during. Glad you’re OK bro![/quote]

x2

Wow, now that is hard core… Wait did you finish the set?

Just kidding Bro, Glad you are not hurt!

That is scary indeed. I don’t care who’s around, bad things can happen fast.

Not sure if your still reading here but, no problems with that drop over the next few days then? Pinched, pulled, or hurt in any way? Hope not, that stuff can “soak in” after awhile though.

Well funny you should mention that… It happened on Mon., took Tues. off. Wend legs no prob. Thurs. back no prob. Fri. arms. 3 sets tricep push downs - feel great. 3 sets pull downs -no trouble. move on to noise breakers. Get set on the bench, Son hands the weight off - instant pain.

I almost dropped it! Anyway I finished the work out i.e. 3 sets noise breakers, 3 set incline curls, 3 set ez bar curls. That night was BAD. Sat. wasnt much better. Today I feel ok at best. So not sure where that puts me in the picture…