T Nation

Barbells, Beer and Bob: How to Old

Nah train insaiyan or remain the same

1 Like

Another off day today, had to give the system a bit of rest. Bob did not get rest, however. Trying to make myself prioritize that a bit better.

1 Like

Quick session today, not much time for anything else. Wanted to do some more BtN pressing than what I did, but I could feel my shoulders were pretty much toast at that point.

• Push Press

• 40 kg x 5 reps
    • 50 kg x 5 reps
    • 60 kg x 3 reps
    • 70 kg x 3 reps
    • 80 kg x 3 reps
    • 90 kg x 2 reps
    • 100 kg x 4 reps
    • 90 kg x 6 reps
    • 80 kg x 10 reps
    • 60 kg x 10 reps
  • Standing Barbell Press Behind Neck

• 20 kg x 10 reps
    • 30 kg x 10 reps
    • 40 kg x 10 reps

Failed the 5th rep at 100, but it felt more like a mental failure than a physical one. Rep PR in any case. Nice thing about that is that dropping back down to 90 and 80 made those weights feel pretty easy by comparison, even if I was getting tired at that point.

8 Likes

Always good to put two wheels overhead. :+1:

2 Likes

I thought we learned recently that they should be called “biscuits” when one uses kilogram plates?

1 Like

Cookies is also acceptable

How about Donuts? Or am I not allowed to just make up stuff?

1 Like

Doesn’t sound as good for some reason but sure y not

Not quite ready to call this an epiphany exactly, but something that has become apparent the last 2 or 3 times I have done this more serious, dedicated push pressing: it seems to hit the musculature in my upper back in a way that strict pressing does not. My traps are lit up today (read: kinda sore) in a way strict pressing never does. I cannot help but wonder if this is potentially going to do more for me in the long run than strict pressing. Shoulders are getting hit at least as well, it seems.

I am not sure yet if this is some temporary adaptation or if it is a real thing, but it does have me wondering if I have my priorities slightly backwards.

2 Likes

Look who is coming around, hehe.
Push pressing or whatever I do is hitting my upper back in a way nothing else does.

Well, I never said I didn’t like push pressing. I just never prioritized it, and when I did it was usually starting from the floor.

I am working on the idea that it is the lockout itself that puts all the pressure on the upper back and traps. So where I used to maybe get one or two lockouts at 80 kilo or whatever, I locked out between 80 and 100 kilo something like 25 times in the above workout. That is a huge difference. And I can also feel it in my triceps, and I never get that from strict pressing.

Damn you, @Koestrizer, for getting this in my head, lol.

3 Likes

Just surrender to the leg drive… and my banter … sssshhh, it’s all going to be fine.

1 Like

That’s exactly the line I use when trying to lure unsuspecting women into my windowless white van.

I know.

But we need a new Danish cop since Mort quit.

I take my hat off too you sir. 4 reps and 100kg is no fkn joke. Quality

1 Like

God damn… Congrats on the PR! But there could be several explanations: you use more weights, so more requirement for balance, and depending of your form, you’re most likely shrugging up during a push press, and also the bar path isn’t exactly the same.

CT, who has huge shoulders, always said it’s the best whole shoulders builder when executed properly

1 Like

I suspect there are several things going on, and I probably don’t need to understand every bit of it, as long as it works.

1 Like

Makes sense, especially if you’re controlling the eccentric on the way down: you’re overloading the supporting musculature in a manner that you can’t do with strict pressing, since it’s a heavier weight.

3 Likes

Went to the gym today only because I had to take the boy. Just picked some stuff that wasn’t going to hurt too much, without actually wasting my time.

• Pull-Up

• 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 5 reps
    • 10 reps
    • 10 reps
    • 10 reps
    • 10 reps
    • 1 reps
  • Isolateral Plate Loaded High Row

• 90 lb x 15 reps
    • 140 lb x 15 reps
    • 140 lb x 15 reps
    • 140 lb x 15 reps
  • Leg Press

• 135 lb x 10 reps
    • 225 lb x 10 reps
    • 315 lb x 10 reps
    • 405 lb x 10 reps
    • 225 lb x 30 reps
    • 135 lb x 30 reps
2 Likes

I dream of the day I could do 76 pullups in a single gym session and it not hurt too much.

2 Likes