Barbell Shrugs and...

Does anyone else find that when they are doing barbell shrugs, they crush your balls ?

Just to clear that up a bit: Since the bar is being kept close to your body, as you shrug up, the bar crushes your nuts as it goes over them, and the same going back down.

Same with glute-ham raises! But they are 10x worse.

Hold the bar in front of you instead of between your legs. (j/k)

I agree, it is a nut buster.

you can use a wider grip to get the bar above the family jewels, or just deal with it.

holy crap…I swear I was just about to post this!

In this regard, am I compromising form if I lean forward slightly, keeping my back straight and my chest up?

because that’s what I have been doing.

thoughts?

Use a trap bar

damn, I thought that was just another reason to do them, then again I’m a little maso. : ) Actually if you have access to a diamond trap bar it will stop you from castrating yourself

Wait till you tag yourself with a clean or high pull. Shrugs are nothing.

[quote]Brett Tucek wrote:
I rarely do them, but when I do, I have to lean forward a bit. [/quote]

Exactally, I’ll stick my ass back a tad so it just grazes the front of my body.

-MAtt

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Brett Tucek wrote:
I rarely do them, but when I do, I have to lean forward a bit.

Exactally, I’ll stick my ass back a tad so it just grazes the front of my body.

-MAtt
[/quote]

My penis is too big for this to be an option.

haha…i see…

I wish my gym had a trap bar.

Yeah they can be a bit uncomfortable, but like someone else said wait till you pull a bar into your chin by accident.

All this big cock + balls talk is getting old…I had a big cock since JH + it only got bigger. Since a nasty run in with a Power Clean I have always worn a cup when doing anything that come anywhere close to the redwood.
Simple as that. I can’t be the only one…at least I shouldn’t be…

[quote]marman wrote:
Yeah they can be a bit uncomfortable, but like someone else said wait till you pull a bar into your chin by accident.[/quote]

done that…bruised for a long ass time too.

never did a power clean into
the nutsack though.

Funny thing is,…my routine calls for power cleans tonight. I best be careful.

[quote]marman wrote:
Yeah they can be a bit uncomfortable, but like someone else said wait till you pull a bar into your chin by accident.[/quote]

Funny story about that. I was warming up for front squats and I was in a super pissed off mood, perfect for training. The only problem is I forgot to lower the pins that stop the bar in case you can’t get it back up. I dropped down with an unloaded bar and just about knocked my damn self out when the bar came up and hit me in the chin.

Just do deadlifts.

Try behind-the-back shruggs. Put the bb behind your butt.

[quote]PRBogey wrote:
Try behind-the-back shruggs. Put the bb behind your butt. [/quote]

tried those too but my ass gets in the way and I’m no lard ass.

How do you shrug with a barbell without having your shoulders forced forward? Has anyone here experienced shoulder problems from doing these?

My gym as a machine, where you shrug the weight up, but your palms are facing your legs and your shoulders are in a natural position. Doesn’t yours?

dumbell shrugs

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Hold the bar in front of you instead of between your legs. (j/k)

I agree, it is a nut buster.[/quote]

They make you bust a nut?