Barbell Shrug Technique?

Just some questions…
should my shoulder blades be pinned all the way back when doing barbell shrugs or should they be kind of forward? Also, how wide should my grip be on the bar?

Thanks in advaance!

Yes

All of the above.

hmmm…yes meaning any position is fine?

Change your hand placing periodically. Or pick a hand position that allows you to get the best contraction and shrug the most weight. Find the best combination that works for you.

IMO your shoulder blades should be in their natural position and the shrug should go straight up and straight down. When you start rolling your shoulders forwards or backwards you can create an impingement. I also like dumbbells or even better one arm barbell shrugs to really keep it in the most neutral position.

[quote]Illium wrote:
IMO your shoulder blades should be in their natural position and the shrug should go straight up and straight down. When you start rolling your shoulders forwards or backwards you can create an impingement. I also like dumbbells or even better one arm barbell shrugs to really keep it in the most neutral position.[/quote]

Just as he said & keep your head stright forward. You see guys cheating all the time dipping their chin into their chest and making it a shoulder/back workout. When I do Shrugs, I can’t feel the correct lift without staying under 135-185lbs.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
Illium wrote:
IMO your shoulder blades should be in their natural position and the shrug should go straight up and straight down. When you start rolling your shoulders forwards or backwards you can create an impingement. I also like dumbbells or even better one arm barbell shrugs to really keep it in the most neutral position.

Just as he said & keep your head stright forward. You see guys cheating all the time dipping their chin into their chest and making it a shoulder/back workout. When I do Shrugs, I can’t feel the correct lift without staying under 135-185lbs.[/quote]

Keeping the chin tucked will actually increase the range of motion. It’s certainly not cheating. Tucking your chin will generate momentum or anything like that, I don’t really see how it can be called ‘cheating’.

i find when i shrug with dumbells my shoulders are more neutral…and with the barbell they are slightly more infront. I “feel” it alot more the next day using barbell, however, due to the greater load.

There is no reason not to use dumbells, barbell, smith machine, HS shrug, trap bar at various points in your life.

Smith machine from the front and back is my favorite thing to use. Barbell is my least favorite.

everytime i use a barbell it knocks up against my dong and makes me uncomfortable

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
everytime i use a barbell it knocks up against my dong and makes me uncomfortable[/quote]

Wear pants, instead of the skirt. Common sense dude.

You get that PM a couple weeks back?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
everytime i use a barbell it knocks up against my dong and makes me uncomfortable[/quote]

HAHA, I get this too, but I do wear pants when working out. I like using the barbell for the higher weight but never use straps. I’ve been using Wendler’s technique of going all out for 20-40 reps.

In terms of hand placing do what is comfortable and is working your traps. If you are hitting your traps hard and they are growing your shrugging technique is fine. I don’t think it makes too much difference where your hands are placed to be honest. Just lift heavy, make sure you feel the contraction and use a straight up and down movement.

Just be sure to stay on your heels unless your feet are a hell of a lot stronger than mine.