Barbell Row Form

I use a variety of grip width and rotate between prone and supine. This changes the path of the bar a good bit. Depends on what you want to target.

Wide grip/prone seems to hit higher in the back and narrow grip/supine puts more emphasis on the rear delts and between the scapulae.

[quote]Skull_Crusher wrote:
Im sure this sounds like more of a novice point of view, but it wouldnt it be most beneficial to make the rows as close to being the opposite of the flat bench press as possible? Which to me would be 90 deg, wide grip, and pulling to the spot you do when you bench?[/quote]

Thats a good pint of view. You can even hang some bands from the top of the rack with an empty bar in the bands and pull in just about the exact plane as the bar travels for the bench.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
I do them like this.[/quote]

God DAMN those plates are big

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
The key point is: concentrate on pulling THROUGH your elbows. Once you figure it out it makes a world of difference in the lat activation you experience.

I have always heard this better never really understood, could someone explain.
[/quote]

tmay, I’m not the best at this and always have to remind myself. However, try this: Stand straight up, arms against your side. Put your arm at a 90 degree angle bent at the elbow. Then pull straight back until you feel your upper arm push against your lat. Pull back tight and feel your lat tighten. The way that feels is how you want to do your rows.

This works with the elbows out also except you don’t have your arm pressing against your lat. You just have that feeling of you lat tightening up.

One thing to think about is how far you are pulling up. I think pulling up all the way to your stomach if you are leaning over past 45 degrees is limiting because it asks alot of the weaker muscles in the movement, like the rear delts etc.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
The key point is: concentrate on pulling THROUGH your elbows. Once you figure it out it makes a world of difference in the lat activation you experience.

I have always heard this better never really understood, could someone explain.

[/quote]

I guess it’s kind of hard to explain, but once you do it you know what it means. When you are rowing, concentrate on your elbows, and pulling them back. Pretend your forearms are just cables, attaching the weight to your elbow.