Barbell, Rings, and Bodyweight: Minimalist Training

Main work:
Max rep work with Zercher:

After warm ups, did a set of 20 Zercher squats at 175 lbs.

Conditioning:
Ran 4. 5miles

Notes: 20 reps of squats suck, no matter which squat variation you use. The jog afterwards was nice, though, to cool down.

Have skipped yoga a couple weeks in a row, and want to get right back into that this week. Will try to go Thurs or Fri.

2 Likes

Main work:

Work up to 1RM:
Zercher: 265 lbs.
Bench Press: 275

Assistance:

Dips: BWx10; BW+45lbs x 5; BW+90lbs x 10 (last set was “as many”)
Seated face pulls: 3x20@SW
Shoulder set: 3x10 of: plate raises, lat raises, and BO lat raises.
Neck: 100 reps on harness; 50 on flexion both @ SW
Shrugs: 100 reps with dumb bells

Notes: No conditioning today. Had plenty of it lately. Did a bit more assistance because the main work was very low volume.

1 RM notes: I am a bit pissed because I wanted 300 lbs on the BP. I hit 275 pretty easy, then asked for a spot to get 300 lbs. I should have specified, but the guy I asked started giving help right once the bar left my chest. I then tried a clean second rep telling him not to help so quickly, but couldn’t get it. I think I had a good chance on the first rep. On the Zercher, I can certainly go heavier than 265 for a single but that felt heavy enough and my rep was clean and strong.

Music: Marvin Gaye playlist on Spotify.

2 Likes

Soccer for one hour.

Main work:
Slow eccentric work: 8010 tempo.
Zercher: 4x5 with 175 lbs.
Bench press: 4x5 with 185 lbs.

Assistance:
3 rounds of: 20 face pulls, 20 push ups, 20 lat pull downs.

Notes:
The 8 second eccentric reps on Zercher squats were torturous. Seriously, I can’t believe the effort they took. Simply holding the weight in front of you is hard; slow squatting at the same time is not an easy task. After that, the BP was easy (even though it wasn’t).

I wanted to do pull ups after, but had to settle for lat pull downs because of the main work.

Glad that day’s over with…

1 Like

I used this today for my 8 second eccentrics and it worked well. It didn’t make them any more enjoyable, but I’m pretty sure I did the correct number of reps each set. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Counting them is one thing, enjoying them is a whole different beast :joy:. Glad it helped

Pause day:

Main work:
Zercher: after warm ups, 4x6 at 195 lbs. Then hold mid-depth for 15 seconds after these sets were done. Super-setted each set with two explosive box jumps.

Bench: after warm ups: 4x6 at 205 lbs. Then hold mid-depth for 30 seconds (but only at 145 lbs) after these sets were done. Did 2 plyo push ups between each sets.

Assistance:
Seated face pulls: 3x20
Dips: 3x20

Notes:
Forgot to do the “pause hold” on bench, so did it after the assistance. Was honestly pretty spent by then so dropped the weight to 145 lbs.

I might do yoga tonight, depending on timing and energy levels. I have to get a workout in tomorrow morning and then play a fairly competitive league soccer game in the afternoon, so I’m thinking I might be better off just doing some light mobility work on my own this evening.

Soccer game. We tied, but I scored a goal. In all honesty, I was a bit fatigued from the week and didn’t have a great game.

Run 4.3 miles at easy 8:45 min/mile pace.

Ab work and band work for about 20 minutes.

Beer and football in the afternoon.

Repetition Day

Main work:
After warm ups: Zercher squat 185 lbs x 20
After warm ups: Bench press: 195 lbs x 16

Assistance Dan John-style:
Pull ups: BW x 10; BW+20 lbs x 5; BW+45 lbs x 10
OHP: 55 lbs x 10; 75 lbs x 5; 115 lbs x 10
Curls: 50 lbs x 10; 70 lbs x 5; 90 lbs x 10
Skull crushers: 40 lbs x 10; 50 lbs x 5; 70 lbs x 10
Side bends: 3 sets on each side.

Main work:
After agile 8 and ramp up:

Zercher squat: 4x1 @ 235 lbs
Bench press: 4x1 @ 255 lbs.

Assistance:
100 push ups
40 dips
70 pull ups

Notes:
This is a “deload week”, which I really needed. This program has been great, but the slow eccentrics seem to really zap me of my competitive energy. I have enjoyed doing lots of Zercher squats, and will probably use these over front squats in the future.

1 Like

On the Deload week - the last week of the program.

“pause during the concentric” workout:

Warm up: 50 KB swings, 12 box jumps, 10 muscle ups.

Main work:
Zercher: ramp up to: 3x4 with 3 second pause during concentric. 175 lbs each set.
Bench press: ramp up to: 3x4 with 3 second pause during concentric. 185 lbs each set.

Assistance:
3 rounds of:
A1. 15 plate raises with 35 lbs plate.
A2. 15 seated face pulls

3 pretty easy rounds of:
B1. Side bends
B2. Rope curls

Notes:
I forgot my elbow sleeves today. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I put a towel over the barbell and did my Zerchers. No big deal, but if I had a heavier day I would certainly want the sleeves.

I switched this day ahead of the slow eccentric day, because I play soccer tomorrow and find the slow eccentrics deplete my zip (or any remaining zip I have) in competition. I will get those in this weekend or Monday.

1 Like

On the “deload” week, but still pretty tough. Played soccer on astroturf yesterday so a bit sore today.

Warm up:

Longer than usual because I needed it… Mobility work, agile 8, calisthenics, airdyne bike.

Main work:
10 medicine ball throws (sets of 4, 3, 3 between warm ups sets of the zercher)
10-0-1-0 pace: (ultra slow eccentric):
Just for each:
Zercher: 3x3 @175 lbs
Bench: 3x3 @185 lbs

Assistance:

3 rounds of:

60 yard farmer’s walks (with only 65 lbs in each hand. Still, by the time 3 rounds are up I felt it)
Ab fall outs on rings (8 reps)
Very short airdyne max sprint (like 6 seconds)

Notes:

This program is tougher than I anticipated. The slow eccentrics, pauses, and max reps each week definitely take their toll. I see why it’s only 4 weeks long. Last day is tomorrow, and it’s repetition day which isn’t as daunting. I have really liked the zercher squats, and will likely replace front squats with them most of the time. I had planned on doing a more involved assistance routine, but really didn’t have it in me.

1 Like

Nope. I’m good.

1 Like

Last day of this program.

Repetition day done before lunch:

Quick warm up due to time, then:

Main work:
Zercher: work up to 3x10 @ 185 lbs.
Super-set with 7 x 8 pull ups.

Bench press: work up to 3x10 @ 195 lbs.
Super-set with 7x10 rows (seated machine rows, not super heavy).

Assistance.
Not much, because I super-setted it and was time-pressed. Just did:
3 sets of side bends
3 sets of face pulls.

Notes:

All done!! I will post a before/after pic for this 4 week program, and perhaps some more of my thoughts on it tomorrow. What’s next? I will do a 531 program with lots of bodyweight assistance. But I will take off barbell lifting for the rest of the week before starting. I feel like I need a break, and will just do sports and yoga the rest of the week and start this Sunday or next Monday.

1 Like

Ok, it’s only a 4 week program but I thought I’d throw up a before and after pic. Note that I didn’t change my diet, which is pretty clean but not at all measured/counted/tracked.

Before: About 177.5 lbs, 5’9", 45 years old.

After: 174.5 lbs. Unfortunately still old and short.

The program:

I wanted a shorter program, and I really love the minimalist training. Also, I like that it had Zercher squats (which I wanted to start using) and that it allowed latitude on the assistance choices. I ended up really liking the program, but really hating slow eccentrics.

What I learned and liked: I can bench 4x a week with no shoulder pain! The prescribed low volume was perfect for the bench. I liked how even though the main lifts are the same, the strategy for each day changed to make it interesting. I learned that I like the Zercher squats more than front squats, and that I can really push them.

What was the most challenging/didn’t like as much: Slow eccentrics may not be the best option when you also compete in sports. They seemed to fatigue me more than even max effort lifts. The combination of max effort and ultra slow eccentrics would be tough to keep up for more than the 4 weeks, at least for someone with a full time job and family, in their 40’s, and also playing sports.

Eating/nutrition: I haven’t put up my eating here, but it’s pretty similar each day:

Morning: put the following in a Vitamix: 1 cup whole milk, two handfuls of spinach, frozen blueberries, ground flax, 2 scoops protein powder. Cup of coffee.

Late morning/pre-workout: Banana, coffee, about 1/3 of a protein smoothie like above.

Lunch: Tuna sandwich from home (with mustard and cayenne, no mayo) with spinach on two slices of toast, baby carrots, nuts (raw almonds or pistachios), an apple.

Dinner: Whatever we are having, which is homemade. Things like: tacos, chicken/rice/broccoli, fajitas, spaghetti and meatballs, roast and potatoes, etc… Always have vegetables or, if not, some type of fresh produce. Sometimes a small dessert.

Weekends: Similar, but with some pints of IPA and maybe pizza or something from a local restaurant. I do tend to eat local, fresher options even of pizza and burritos.

Next up: Will take most of a week to focus on mobility, sports, and rest. Then will begin a 531 program.

Back at a 531 routine. Trying a different spin, and following the 531 BABY template. For the main 531 lift, I will do 10, 5, 10 (rather than 5’s PRO) except for the DL, where I will do 5’s PRO. So, for example, I would do 65%x10, 75%x5, 85%x10 for OHP, Squat, and BP.

Warm up: Agile 8, med ball throws.

OHP 531. 10x85 lbs, 5x95 lbs, 10x110 lbs. Also did did the warmups at 40, 50, and 60%
Super-setted with 6x10 pull ups.

Supplement:
Weight-vested (40 lbs) ring push ups: 3x10
Super-setted with 3x15 Krakowski rows (155 lbs).

Ab circuit: 3 rounds of:
20 banded kneeling ab crunches
8 ring fall outs
20 bicycles

Neck/forearm:
100 neck extensions with 35 lbs
50 neck flexion with 12.5 lbs
30 fat gripz reverse curls at SW

2 Likes

Agile 8. Med ball throws, then…
8x50 yard sprints
6x100 yard sprints

Main work:
Deadlift 5’s PRO. 5 reps each at: 135, 185, 205, 225, 265, 295 lbs.
Supplement:
Zercher squats. 3x10 @ 165 lbs.

Assistance
100 KB swings at only 40 lbs.
Neck harness: warm ups with 25 x 20 lbs, then a max set at 35 lbs. I got 60 reps.
Ab rollouts. Just 3 sets.

Notes: I’m sore from those damn sprints! I should do them more, but have usually opted for soccer or airdyne as my conditioning. For sprints, I head over the the local HS which is actually very close, and do them on the track. There was a 78 year old there, sprinting like a demon. I had to talk to the guy, and he said he’s training for the World Games at 100 and 200 meters. He moved really well for a 78 year old, and was quite an inspiration.

2 Likes

Agile 8. Med ball throws…then…

Main work:
A1. Bench press: 3 warm up sets then: 155x10, 185x5, 205x10.
A2. Superset with: 6x15 of t-bar semi-upright rows

Supplemental/assistance:
B1. Incline DB BP: 3x10 with 80 lber in each hand.
B2. Superset with: 3x20 seated face pulls @ SW

C1. Front plate raises: 3x12 with 35 lb plate
C2: Neck raises: 3x20 with 12.5 lbs

Abs: about 10 minutes of cable crunches, hanging leg raises, and bicycles.

Yoga class for 75 minutes.

Agile 8, calisthenics, light barbell complex to warm up, then…

Main work (still Week 1 - the 555 week - of 531 BABY):
A. Continuous clean and press. Working sets: 85x5, 95x5, 110x5
B. Back Squat. Working sets: 165x10, 185x5, 210x10

Supplemental/assistance:
C. DB SLDL with shrug: 3x10 with 50 lbs in each hand.
D1. 100 KB swings with 40 lbs (done in sets of 35 reps)
D2. 3x20 seated face pulls.
E. Side bends. 3x10@45, 65, 85 lbs.

OHP 531: (reps of 10, 5, and 10) 95, 105, 115 lbs
Superset with 7x10 pull ups

Weight vest ring push ups: 3x10
Superset with barbell shrugs: 3x15 @155 lbs

Neck work:
50 reps with 50 lbs (max reps) with a harness
30 reps with 15 lbs (max reps) of flexion

Ab work: sidebends with set weight

High pulls: 3x10 with 115 lbs (part of my warm up)
Med ball throws: 3x5

Deadlifts 5’s PRO: 135, 175, 205, 245, 275, 315 (the first three were warm ups)

Zercher Squat: 3x10 @165 lbs

100 KB swings with 35 lbs (the largest KB I have… worked out at home)

Ab work: 3 rounds of
12 banded crunches
8 ring fall outs
20 bicycles

Neck work:
100 reps of neck harness (50 lbs)
50 reps of neck flexion (12.5 lbs)