Barbell Hack Squats?

Hey everybody,

I started incorporating the barbell hack squat into my training routine (a la beginner using 5/3/1) as an assistance exercise for the quads. I’ve done them on two occasions now. I know it’s not a very popular movement, andit kind of feels awkward.

But I’m sure that any compound quad-training (which isn’t a front squat - seems like that’s the only compound quad training for a lot of ppl out there) is a good bonus.

They do strain my back more than deadlifts and squats.

I think this is because the bar is behind me, and when fatigue and weights combine I might have been jerking the weight instead of pushing my quads. Though bio-mechanically, it almost seems impossible to push that weight without moving the back? Or am I being an idiot? Mind you, there was just 50kg on the bar! I know, I’m a beginner, I suck, etc… but… 50kg = 35%ish of my deadlift? I couldn’t even do a proper 5x10 with it.

Thoughts, experiences?

barbell hack squats? oh hell no

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
barbell hack squats? oh hell no[/quote]

Explain it 2 da newb!

It’s a little awkward to perform, but I can lift some heavy weight in that manner.

[quote]maxbm wrote:

It’s a little awkward to perform, but I can lift some heavy weight in that manner.[/quote]

That is some great shit right there man! My ass is so big I’ve never been able to lock-out that movement…how often do you do that? Only heavy, or do you do rep work too? Do you really think there is much ‘bang for your buck’ in that, or is it just a ‘circus’ trick, so to speak?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:

It’s a little awkward to perform, but I can lift some heavy weight in that manner.[/quote]

That is some great shit right there man! My ass is so big I’ve never been able to lock-out that movement…how often do you do that? Only heavy, or do you do rep work too? Do you really think there is much ‘bang for your buck’ in that, or is it just a ‘circus’ trick, so to speak? [/quote]

Thanks. I don’t do it often enough, so I’m not able to really give an accurate assessment of the efficacy of the movement.

Use a cambered bar, it will make the movement significantly less awkward. I love cambered bar hack squats. Easy on the hip flexors, too.

[quote]maxbm wrote:

No offence, I’m just trying to learn the exercise a bit better - but isn’t your back much too rounded? Or isn’t that such big a deal with hack squats?

[quote]grettiron wrote:
Use a cambered bar, it will make the movement significantly less awkward. I love cambered bar hack squats. Easy on the hip flexors, too. [/quote]

Wish we had one at our gym. We only have those small cambered bar’s used mainly for arms.

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:

No offence, I’m just trying to learn the exercise a bit better - but isn’t your back much too rounded? Or isn’t that such big a deal with hack squats?[/quote]

The hack lift tends to be a round-back movement, like stone lifting in strongman, along with zercher squats/deadlifts.

[quote]maxbm wrote:

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:

No offence, I’m just trying to learn the exercise a bit better - but isn’t your back much too rounded? Or isn’t that such big a deal with hack squats?[/quote]

The hack lift tends to be a round-back movement, like stone lifting in strongman, along with zercher squats/deadlifts.[/quote]

Okay, I didn’t know that! I thought one should always keep the back straight. Isn’t the hack squat bad for lower back health then?

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]maxbm wrote:

The hack lift tends to be a round-back movement, like stone lifting in strongman, along with zercher squats/deadlifts.[/quote]

Okay, I didn’t know that! I thought one should always keep the back straight. Isn’t the hack squat bad for lower back health then?
[/quote]

I have never tried this exercise so I do not know the mechanics of it or whether the back tends to round more due to the position, but typically the back should not be rounded this much. Some people can get away with it without any pain or injury like maxbm here, but that’s not the case for most. Always try to keep that spine neutral.