Barbell Hack Squats for Size

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
Cleans+Front Squats

Really? How does that help? The question was “What do you think of bb hacks?”, not “how does -insert favorite author- suggest you go about gaining leg size”.

While were at it though, how much leg size have you gained from front squatting what you can clean?

Weight: 135
Height: 5’5"
Body fat %: 12
Years Training: Not Long

Oh wait, nevermind. It all makes sense now.

so where do you weigh in on them? i know that for the most part you know your shit, so im curious.

i just did em for the first time last week and they made me bust out in a sweat after one or two sets and i felt em decently in the quads. i just want to switch things up a bit because ive been starting with leg presses for moooonths and i dont have the best hips and ankles, among other things for traditional squats.

i mean if a regular hacksquat machine works im guessing a BB one would too? the only thig that sucks is the bar-burn i get on the back of my legs since its like a reverse deadlift. my legs are just too fuckin small and i need to get them bigger.
[/quote]

I have no experience with bb hacks although I can tell you for sure that the 45 degree machine hack is an awesome exercise that I feel works very well for me.

I have knee issues and I dont think that getting into the position necessary for me to do bb hacks with my relatively long torso without rounding my back would be very good for my knees. So, my answer is- not for me but if you can make it gorilla strong, then I dont see why it wouldnt be a good exercise.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
Cleans+Front Squats

Really? How does that help? The question was “What do you think of bb hacks?”, not “how does -insert favorite author- suggest you go about gaining leg size”.

While were at it though, how much leg size have you gained from front squatting what you can clean?

[/quote]

I was just offering a suggestion which was offered to me when I asked the same question.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
Cleans+Front Squats

so where do you weigh in on them? i know that for the most part you know your shit, so im curious.

i just did em for the first time last week and they made me bust out in a sweat after one or two sets and i felt em decently in the quads. i just want to switch things up a bit because ive been starting with leg presses for moooonths and i dont have the best hips and ankles, among other things for traditional squats.

i mean if a regular hacksquat machine works im guessing a BB one would too? the only thig that sucks is the bar-burn i get on the back of my legs since its like a reverse deadlift. my legs are just too fuckin small and i need to get them bigger.

I have no experience with bb hacks although I can tell you for sure that the 45 degree machine hack is an awesome exercise that I feel works very well for me.

I have knee issues and I dont think that getting into the position necessary for me to do bb hacks with my relatively long torso without rounding my back would be very good for my knees. So, my answer is- not for me but if you can make it gorilla strong, then I dont see why it wouldnt be a good exercise.[/quote]

yeah its kind of weird at the very bottom portion for me, idk how good my form is im sure it probaly needs work but its not that easy to check your own form on em. having long arms, big forearms and strong traps definately is the only reason i could make anything out of these.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i cant really make much progression on zerchers. they really compress against my diaphragm and make it hard to breath much i cant get good depth on em either.

Play around with your technique - you can go pretty much ATG on these.[/quote]

lol you know that guys using 1 plate right?

yeah its kind of weird at the very bottom portion for me, idk how good my form is im sure it probaly needs work but its not that easy to check your own form on em. having long arms, big forearms and strong traps definately is the only reason i could make anything out of these. [/quote]

They work fine for me because I’m short.

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2007/05/the_hack_squat.html

benmoore wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i cant really make much progression on zerchers. they really compress against my diaphragm and make it hard to breath much i cant get good depth on em either.

Play around with your technique - you can go pretty much ATG on these.

lol you know that guys using 1 plate right?[/quote]

I can count lol.

1. Its a demo of the exercise
  2. ATG is always going to use less weight anyway
  3. Its a hard exercise

You can still get good and high loads mind:

Its just another tool really to add to your collection. Wonderful exercise for strongman work and compliments deadlift nicely.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
thoughts?

I like eggs.[/quote]

with some paprika

I’m a tall guy and find barbell hacks extremely awkward. They force my upper back into a slight curvature, no matter what I do. I also have a pretty big ass that gets in the way.

I’ll just repeat what everyone else mentioned and say that it’s incredibly awkward with a BB, hard to maintain form as well.

However (esp w/ elevated heels) your quads will feel like pudding (preferably the strawberry variety).

[quote]Bloobird wrote:

I was just offering a suggestion which was offered to me when I asked the same question.[/quote]

So wait, you asked “what do you think of barbell hack squats?” and someone replied with “cleans+front squats”?

The question was not “what can I do for legs?”, it was “what do you think of this specific exercise?”

i gotta say they seem to do more for my back than anything else lol.

i went to bed last night and could hardly move my legs but when i woke up this morning between the RDLs and BB H.S. my traps and hams have significant DOMS.

…ill tell you one thing when i compete my back is gonna knock people out. im using it 3/6 sessions w/ heavy weight/stress. …now if i could only get my legs to develop that good haha.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I’m a tall guy and find barbell hacks extremely awkward. They force my upper back into a slight curvature, no matter what I do. I also have a pretty big ass that gets in the way.[/quote]

Tall guys definitely have a problem with this lift. A few years ago, I had two friends training with me. One was 6’ and the other was 6’3" and both had a hard time performing them without their lower back rounding or their knees coming very far forward or their heels coming off the ground.

However, I had no problem because I have shorter legs. I can maintain my form the entire motion and get a good workout with them.