T Nation

Barbell Floor Press ...vs..

Never performed this exercices before , wondering what is the relative strenght vs regular bench press, let say my best one rep max on bench is 250, how heavy will be my one rep floor press?

thanks

it’s hard to tell. it really depends how close the bar is to your chest how strong your triceps are, how much legdrive you get from regular benching etc.

But if I remember correctly, according to Jim Wendler he said it would be any where from 90-95% then again I know some people who have floor press that is stronger than their regular bench. Hope this helps

-Charming

probably less than 250. Try it and find out.

im expecting to lift less, especially first time…

just curious to see if there going to be a major difference…

[quote]Rampage74 wrote:
Never performed this exercices before , wondering what is the relative strenght vs regular bench press, let say my best one rep max on bench is 250, how heavy will be my one rep floor press?

thanks [/quote]

i would say 180 the least 220 the most

Floor press you loss all the momentum helping you get the weight up( bounce off the chest)
your also not going down all the way, The floor press should be controlled like a regular bench because if you dont and you slam it down like you would on a regular bench press you would break your arms ( not saying you do this )

I do these on my second bench day of the week

[quote]ehsbeast73 wrote:

Floor press you loss all the momentum helping you get the weight up( bounce off the chest)
your also not going down all the way, The floor press should be controlled like a regular bench because if you dont and you slam it down like you would on a regular bench press you would break your arms ( not saying you do this )

[/quote]

Nobody should be bouncing or slamming the bench into their chest.

Would depend on your lockout strength and levers but I think 90-95% OR 225-235 is an accurate accessment.

2 years ago my floor press was stronger than my full range by 10-15kg. The reverse is now true!!

My pb’s are the same in both. The ROM on my floor press is only 2-3" of my bench. Its a god lift and is a good guide to my overall pressing strength.

[quote]I’mCharming wrote:
it’s hard to tell. it really depends how close the bar is to your chest how strong your triceps are, how much legdrive you get from regular benching etc.

But if I remember correctly, according to Jim Wendler he said it would be any where from 90-95% then again I know some people who have floor press that is stronger than their regular bench. Hope this helps

-Charming[/quote]

Exactly right, the floor press is affected a lot by your proportions as you said. some people have the bar touching their chest while others have the bar positioned a few inches above.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
ehsbeast73 wrote:

Nobody should be bouncing or slamming the bench into their chest.[/quote]

I thought he was referring to the elastic energy that builds up during the eccentric giving a bounce off of the chest. I could be wrong, though.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
ehsbeast73 wrote:

Nobody should be bouncing or slamming the bench into their chest.[/quote]

i know did you not read it.

[quote]JoeG254 wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
ehsbeast73 wrote:

I thought he was referring to the elastic energy that builds up during the eccentric giving a bounce off of the chest. I could be wrong, though.

[/quote]

i think your saying what im saying lol

You can still have momentum even if you didnt touch your chest
like in a dead lift the first one is always hard but after that its more controlled ( machine like ) its still momentum even though you didnt slam them on the 5 pads of foam some people use.

[quote]ehsbeast73 wrote:
JoeG254 wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
ehsbeast73 wrote:

i think your saying what im saying lol

You can still have momentum even if you didnt touch your chest like in a dead lift the first one is always hard but after that its more controlled ( machine like ) its still momentum even though you didnt slam them on the 5 pads of foam some people use.

[/quote]

The elasticity from the stretch shortening cycle is more of a factor in a full range bench press (than in a floor press), even with a pause at the chest, because of the nature of the movement its greater amount of stretch at the peak of the eccentric.

That said, I’ve had periods in which my floor press max exceeded my full range max and vice-versa. Most of the time, my full range max exceeds my floor press max, in part (I think) because of the greater impact of the stretch shortening cycle in the full range bench press.

Also, I think there is sort of a “momentum” from rep to rep in a given set–whether it be of bench press, of deadlift or of any other movement–not in the physics sense of actual inertia (which can occur only from movement itself during the course a given rep), but rather in the neuromuscular sense.

In the deadlift for instance, the first rep of a set (using a submaximal load) typically feels heavier than the subsequent reps in the same set because of the lifter’s neural adaptation from rep to rep during that set. So, it’s “momentum,” but in a neuromuscular sense.

[quote]ghm wrote:

The elasticity from the stretch shortening cycle is more of a factor in a full range bench press (than in a floor press), even with a pause at the chest, because of the nature of the movement its greater amount of stretch at the peak of the eccentric.

That said, I’ve had periods in which my floor press max exceeded my full range max and vice-versa. Most of the time, my full range max exceeds my floor press max, in part (I think) because of the greater impact of the stretch shortening cycle in the full range bench press.

Also, I think there is sort of a “momentum” from rep to rep in a given set–whether it be of bench press, of deadlift or of any other movement–not in the physics sense of actual inertia (which can occur only from movement itself during the course a given rep), but rather in the neuromuscular sense.

In the deadlift for instance, the first rep of a set (using a submaximal load) typically feels heavier than the subsequent reps in the same set because of the lifter’s neural adaptation from rep to rep during that set. So, it’s “momentum,” but in a neuromuscular sense.

[/quote]
yea what he said

AS per Buddy Morris (those who know him ex-Cleveland Browns strength coach), your floor press will be 92% of your max effort bench press. This is typically correct.

Ok to reverse grip with the floor press? I’m going to add this in on arm day; I need more work for my triceps, but was just curious if I could Clark this or not?

This thread has made me happy. My most recent bench max was 245 and I floor pressed 275 last week. This means I’m doing better than I thought :slight_smile:

I’ll try a 285 bench here soon.