T Nation

Barbell Curls or Pull Ups for Biceps Size?

Should I start the biceps portion of biceps and back workouts with pull ups or barbell curls? Which is better for mass gaining?

That’s kind of like asking if you should start the triceps portion of a workout with bench press or pressdowns.

But another question is; Why haven’t you done your pullups by the time you get done with your back?

Do pullups for your back. Do curls for your biceps.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Do pullups for your back. Do curls for your biceps.[/quote]

This!

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
That’s kind of like asking if you should start the triceps portion of a workout with bench press or pressdowns.

But another question is; Why haven’t you done your pullups by the time you get done with your back?
[/quote]

^This. The question is kind of confusing without seeing your split. If you are doing back and biceps on the same day, get your back work done (rows, pull-ups, etc.) and then do your bicep work (curls).

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[/quote]

^This. The question is kind of confusing without seeing your split. If you are doing back and biceps on the same day, get your back work done (rows, pull-ups, etc.) and then do your bicep work (curls).[/quote]

Okay. So should I start back work with bent over barbell rows or with pull ups, then?

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[/quote]

^This. The question is kind of confusing without seeing your split. If you are doing back and biceps on the same day, get your back work done (rows, pull-ups, etc.) and then do your bicep work (curls).[/quote]

Okay. So should I start back work with bent over barbell rows or with pull ups, then?
[/quote]
Yes.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
[/quote]
Yes.[/quote]

Genuine question: does it matter which order? Seems biceps would be pretty much equally fatigued, but how does that work out for the back?

Chin ups will hit your biceps and lats pretty hard- as such you don’t want to fatigue your biceps too much before you do curls, as this will reduce the muscle building potential of both exercises.

That said, try doing supinated grip chins followed by barbell curls.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
[/quote]
Yes.[/quote]

Genuine question: does it matter which order? Seems biceps would be pretty much equally fatigued, but how does that work out for the back?[/quote]

It’s not a big deal either way.

The point of doing back work is to work your back. If you’re fatiguing your biceps before your back, you’re doing it wrong.

Pull with the elbows. Use straps if you have to, but get the tension off your biceps and onto your back!

Curls are the best biceps builders. Stick with those, and you’ll get bigger guns.

curls for the girls bro.

The issue has been put to rest, but this picture belongs in every thread about this topic.