Barbell Bicep Curl - Wrist Problem

Screw genetics.

Screw them, screw them, screw them.

Currently an ecto-build here(don’t worry I eat and moniter my food/activity levels with FitDay)and weigh in at an impressive lean weight 128lbs…up 7(assuming lean) pounds in two months and only 10-12% bodyfat =) Anyways my wrist size is 5.5 inches…forearms are 9.5inches if that’s important.

However continuing on, one of the exercises I performed on my last routine was Barbell Bicep Curls, 50 reps for 8? easy.

60 reps for 2? Murder.

My wrists just don’t feel like they can handle that extra 10 pounds and how can I fix this? I have under 3 months until I ship out for USMC Boot Parris Island, and I know bigger bi’s would help get those chin’s closer to 20…but I can’t go heavier without feeling like my wrists want to fall off my forearms…and it’s been like this for months, like literally atleast since January -_-

BTW, if you need any other information just ask, I’m on here more then I should be lol. And hopefully I’ll get some pics for the profile in due time.

My wrists don’t enjoy a straight barbell curl as well. Instead, I use an EZ curl bar. Just enough bend in the bar.

Keep the bar close to the wrist in your hands (so its near the thumb and pretty far away from the other 4 fingers before your close your grip, if that makes sense)

Keep your wrist in a neutral position to your forearm, no curling with the wrist joint

Both EZ Bar and DB Curls are safer alternatives

ON a side note, i don’t think curls help very much with chin ups, whereas Lat/teres major isolation work does alot (e.g. straight arm pulldowns, wide grip pull ups)

I concur with Petrichor. BB Curls are not your answer to more pullups, more pullups is your answer to more pullups. Try static holds.

My wrists used to hurt all the time when doing BB curls, i got gloves that have wrist bands on them and after a while the pain goes away.

I have the exact same problem. So listen up I found that if you get some Wrist wraps (Inzer,APT) or who eer you want. Wrap them bitches tight and do your set. No pain and no tendeonitis later… Trust me it works

So keep using the straight bar remember to make your trailer payments on time

[quote]H4rdc0r3 wrote:
Screw genetics.

Currently an ecto-build here(don’t worry I eat and moniter my food/activity levels with FitDay)and weigh in at an impressive lean weight 128lbs…up 7(assuming lean) pounds in two months and only 10-12% bodyfat =) Anyways my wrist size is 5.5 inches…forearms are 9.5inches if that’s important.

However continuing on, one of the exercises I performed on my last routine was Barbell Bicep Curls, 50 reps for 8? easy.

60 reps for 2? Murder.

My wrists just don’t feel like they can handle that extra 10 pounds and how can I fix this? I have under 3 months until I ship out for USMC Boot Parris Island, and I know bigger bi’s would help get those chin’s closer to 20…but I can’t go heavier without feeling like my wrists want to fall off my forearms…and it’s been like this for months, like literally atleast since January -_-

BTW, if you need any other information just ask, I’m on here more then I should be lol. And hopefully I’ll get some pics for the profile in due time.[/quote]

The way you state your lifts is off a bit…saying 50 reps for 2 to me sounds like 50 repetitions for two sets…I had to read it twice to figure out what you meant. Just letting you know for future posts.

I have the exact opposite problem, the E-Z curl bar kills my outer wrist, but straight bar doesn’t bother them at all. Try the other bar, dumbbells, or shorten your range of motion and see if that helps any.

To get better at pullups you need to do pullups. If you can’t get all your reps in then try drop-sets or assisted ones. I don’t think you need to be looking for weak links in the chain at this point, it’s too soon. Good luck and thank you for your service.

[quote]Plato6988 wrote:
I have the exact same problem. So listen up I found that if you get some Wrist wraps (Inzer,APT) or who eer you want. Wrap them bitches tight and do your set. No pain and no tendeonitis later… Trust me it works

So keep using the straight bar remember to make your trailer payments on time[/quote]

this is a great way to look like a tool, especially when ez- curl bars or dumbells are available.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

this is a great way to look like a tool, especially when ez- curl bars or dumbells are available.[/quote]

Yea they hit your muscles different than straight bar curls do smart guy…But Im sure you know this “Right” Do you even know what wrist wraps are???

[quote]Plato6988 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

this is a great way to look like a tool, especially when ez- curl bars or dumbells are available.

Yea they hit your muscles different than straight bar curls do smart guy…But Im sure you know this “Right” Do you even know what wrist wraps are???
[/quote]

They hit the muscles a bit different, but since he’s a beginner it probably won’t make any difference one way or another. I think the straps can help if he’s “breaking” the wrists at the top or bottom but not sure if they would help in this matter.

I’m more concerned with:

1. why it hurts in the first place
  2. why he’s doing curls to assist his pullups/chins after not training very long

Oh, and wrist straps will help with pullups too if you are losing your grip, but I would only use them once you fail, just like an assist or a negative. Your main goal is to get your numbers up and your grip strength will most likely build up along with that.

[quote]H4rdc0r3 wrote:
Screw genetics.

[/quote]

I think this is your biggest problem.
Are you angry at your genetics for holding you back from bicep curls?
Thats cute.

[quote]Plato6988 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

[/quote]

www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PSRLWristWraps

yeah, if you’re wearing supportive gear for a curl, you might as well switch the type, YOur bicep developement from switching the type of bar isn’t worth the type of damage it could cause your wrist, plus you’ll look like a huge tool.

[quote]Plato6988 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

[/quote]

counting my avatar is me, on a platform, I would assume so.

I think almost everyone gets pain from the barbell biceps curls at first. Just suck it up and it will go away eventually. You don’t need gloves or wraps especially for that.

[quote]rlomeli wrote:
I think almost everyone gets pain from the barbell biceps curls at first. Just suck it up and it will go away eventually. You don’t need gloves or wraps especially for that. [/quote]

hooray for logic.

Well I remember when I first started lifting it hurt to do barbell curls and I remember reading most of the time the pain is due to ulna and radius having too much pressure( not quit sure how it was explained). But after a month or so the pain went away because of your body adapting to it and even today curling a lot more since then I have absolutely no pain whatsoever in my wrist and forearm area.

I am pretty sure almost everyone who starts lifting feels pain from the barbell curls, but eventually goes away.

EZ bar and dumbbells do hit different parts of the biceps, thats why you often see people using all three.

[quote]H4rdc0r3 wrote:

[/quote]
To the OP:
Didn’t really read it carefully just assumed you haven’t been curling for long. (since a lot of people do complain about the pain) If the pain has not gone away after a month I would stay away from the curling with barbells and maybe as the other guy suggest use wrist wraps.

hooray for logic.[/quote]

and stfu.

[quote]rlomeli wrote:
I think almost everyone gets pain from the barbell biceps curls at first. Just suck it up and it will go away eventually. You don’t need gloves or wraps especially for that. [/quote]

wtf?

[quote]rlomeli wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
hooray for logic.

and stfu.[/quote]

hooray for insulting those who agree with you.

rlomeli wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
hooray for logic.

and stfu.

hooray for insulting those who agree with you.[/quote]

lol my bad thought it was sarcasm.

:slight_smile:

[quote]rlomeli wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
rlomeli wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
hooray for logic.

and stfu.

hooray for insulting those who agree with you.

lol my bad thought it was sarcasm.

:)[/quote]

it’s cool.