T Nation

Barbara Bush

What is an ABBer? I’ve seen RJ use that term on numerous occasions, but still have no idea what it means.

[quote]ron33 wrote:
Mage,I’m out of touch on the cartoon scene,I’m from the Casper the ghost,Mighty Mouse,Diaper Man era.[/quote]

Ah, I am big into cartoons, and have even been thinking about getting into voice over work. I already went to a class run by Gordon Hunt, (Helen Hunt’s father, but more importantly the director of the Smurfs, Dilbert, and more importantly the voice of Wally,) Danny Goldman, (Brainy Smurf,) and Alan young, (the Wilber from Mr. Ed, but also Scrooge McDuck).

By the way Jeff Bennett does the voice of Johnny Bravo, Billy West does the voice of Zap Brannigan, of importance to Boston Barrister the voice of The Brain is Maurice LaMarche.

And the current god of voice-overs is Frank Welker.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/

By the way the list of credits there is nowhere near complete. I believe he has surpassed Mel Blanc as number of voices performed.

[quote]Colombian wrote:
yeah ur right they are recieving alot of good things they didnt have before, BUT the way she said it was degrading and disrespectful, especially when coming from a BIACH who had everything delivered to her on a silver platter and never moved a finger in her life.[/quote]

This is the type of thing I have mentioned before. Instead of discussing issues, it is always the people. And then it turns from a statement that may have been bad, but does not mean we need to get into gossip.

How exactly do you know she has not moved a finger in her life, or had everything given to her on a silver platter? You cannot know this, and the statements you make come from a position of jealousy.

This is an 80 year old woman after all, so give a little slack instead of jumping to the BIATCH statement.

Its always funny when people try and pass this stuff off as nothing important or just “liberal swag”. I’ve never declared a party line and I’ve been equally disgusted at both parties many times… But how can you let something like this slide by as liberal bias?? All you need to see is the quote… forget the liberal story(or conservative) behind it.

What if your buddy at work said it?

Here’s the raw tape footage of Barbara Bush’s comments. The line that captured everybody’s attention occurs at around the 2:40 mark. The footage runs 3:22. Judge for yourself.

Note: you’ll need Real Player to hear the stream.

http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/marketplace/2005/09/feature_barbarabush_sept5

[quote]doogie wrote:
We’ve had a lot of families from LA enrolling their kids in school. No doubt these people went through a horrible experience, and some of these kids saw things no one should ever witness. I can’t imagine losing everything I have and starting over. If you didn’t have that much to begin with, though, it is a different situation.

Talking to the parents, they seem to be in a better place now than before the hurricane. They are happy and excited about their fututres. Families with two parents and two kids received $4000, a lot of clothes and supplies plus about $400 in food stamps. That kind of money can go a long way in this part of the country. They are finding places to live, some already have jobs, they don’t live in the shithole that was New Orleans anymore, and their kids are going to the cleanest, most modern, safest schools they’ve ever seen.

It was STUPID for Barbara Bush to say it, but in a lot of cases it is the truth.
[/quote]

Whew, at least one person that can interpret things as they were meant to be and not how they think it was meant.

Aside from Babs’ comment, which was not in good taste - but I agree with Doogie - this has become an opportunity to rail about ‘mean old conservatives born with a silver spoon in their mouths who are out of touch with reality.’

That’s fine when it fits, but let’s dispel the myth that people from wealthy families are all card-carrying baby-eating conservatives. As a cross section, most of the most privileged 20-30 somethings I know are ‘trustafarians’, that is, with one hand gladly accepting the interest on daddy’s trust fund and capitalist investing while pumping the other fist in the air screaming ‘revolution’.

I’m not saying one stereotype trumps another, but populism - ie, distrust of the elite, the aristocracy, etc. - is very much in the camp of the conservatives these days.

So it seems a little misplaced to scream about any Bush being from a privileged family when the Democrats have run Al Gore and John Kerry as candidates, for example.

Not trying to hijack the thread, it just seems that Babs’ comments were not only attacked in their own right but also in a broader context of attacking the detachment of hated ‘rich people’. Just food for thought.

I don’t have real player - nor do I have the desire to forage through the internet to find the “raw footage”.

That being said - the ABB crowd is working overtime to pin this on G-Dub.

She could run around her house with a white sheet over her head if she wants. What in the flying fuck does that have to do with the current administration?

The problem I have isn’t whether or not she said it. My problem is with all the frothy-mouthed ABBers thinking that they have something that proves anything.

Tell me how this is even remotely tied to Bush and his policies? Oh right, it proves Kayne West was right all along.

Please - you guys are really grasping at straws.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Its always funny when people try and pass this stuff off as nothing important or just “liberal swag”. I’ve never declared a party line and I’ve been equally disgusted at both parties many times… But how can you let something like this slide by as liberal bias?? All you need to see is the quote… forget the liberal story(or conservative) behind it.

What if your buddy at work said it? [/quote]

What’s so wrong with what she said? I guess the truth should be candy-coated so that it is more acceptable to some?

Give me a damn break. Is this T-Nation we are on? Sounds more like e-nation.
You sensitive types grow a damn nut - what she said was the truth, whether you are honest enough to admit it or not.

[quote]ron33 wrote:
Zap & Rain,I dont want to make you mad ,but i think people would give you more respect if you didnt have those Gay lookin little men on your post’s.They just dont seem right for 2 intelligent conservatives.Just a suggestion.[/quote]

You got a problem with gay looking avatars?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

What if your buddy at work said it?

What’s so wrong with what she said? I guess the truth should be candy-coated so that it is more acceptable to some?

Give me a damn break. Is this T-Nation we are on? Sounds more like e-nation.
You sensitive types grow a damn nut - what she said was the truth, whether you are honest enough to admit it or not. [/quote]

HAHA. Thats it Rainjack. Give us the standard line about how anything that is uncaring, coldhearted, and ignorant is obviously just a true fact that we don’t want to hear. It’s the same ass-backwards logic that makes me people think that Republican’s are the TOUGH ALPHA MALE party…when in reality it has little to do with that at all. Thanks for giving the party line and putting it on to T-Nation.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I don’t have real player - nor do I have the desire to forage through the internet to find the “raw footage”.
[/quote]

You might already have real player and not know it. If not your computer will get it easily enough.

I found it kind of enlightening myself. Everyone ignores absolutely everything else she says, and actually hearing it gives it a completely different meaning.

She said a lot of good stuff, and made one misstatement that even the reporter didn?t seem to respond to.

She is helping her Husband attempt to get people to donate money for the relief, praising all the people who are helping, talks about a child who waited 3 days to get rescued, and they focus on this.

What was that quote about the politics of personal destruction? I thought the left was supposed to be against hate, but then why do so many engage in it?

[quote]orion wrote:

You got a problem with gay looking avatars? [/quote]

You’ve got a freakin handle on your head. Is there anything as gay as that?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
HAHA. Thats it Rainjack. Give us the standard line about how anything that is uncaring, coldhearted, and ignorant is obviously just a true fact that we don’t want to hear. It’s the same ass-backwards logic that makes me people think that Republican’s are the TOUGH ALPHA MALE party…when in reality it has little to do with that at all. Thanks for giving the party line and putting it on to T-Nation. [/quote]

Please explain point by point what she said that was actually wrong? I really don’t think you can. At least not without dragging a bunch of PC bullshit into the argument with you. And spare me the regurgitaion of the ABBer that wrote the op/ed piece. You do understand what op/ed is - right? Right? I really don’t think you can use opinion to prove jack shit.

Prove that “people think that Republicans are the tough ALPHA MALE party”. Wait - you can’t. You can’t really prove a straw man, can you?

Once an ABBer always an ABBer, huh?

[quote]The Mage wrote:
orion wrote:

You got a problem with gay looking avatars?

You’ve got a freakin handle on your head. Is there anything as gay as that?[/quote]

That is an antenna! To watch my belly TV!

It’s always about bashing Bush. What would have been really scary would have been having gore in office for 9/11 or kerry in office for katrina. gore, now there is someone capable of making a military decision… and how about kerry, there is someone capable of making a decision and sticking to it. Let’s evacuate, no wait stand fast! I was for evacuation before I was against evacuation.

What she said was offensive and wrong. Wouldn’t matter if she’s a Repbulican or Democrat or whatever. Are the poor people of New Orleans who lost their houses and jobs-albeit it bad jobs and shitty housing-really better off now? No. And how much aid are they really going to get? What she said is a reflection on her. Whether it’s a relfection on the president or partisan politics more generally to any degree is more debatable.

Sigh, I certainly can come up with better names, but it makes a lot of people wring their hands and get their panties in a bunch when I do it.

I never would have thought some of those die hard right wingers would have been so for political correctness… I thought was supposed to be a trait of the vast evil left wing conspiracy trying to straighjacket the viewpoints of the conservatives?

Strange.

Anyhow, you are doing a lot more than saying you don’t agree with it Rainjack. If all you said was I think it is taken out of context by a left wing rag, then your statements wouldn’t sound like cheerleading.

Oh, and to revisit the past (again)… I didn’t call you anything… go back and look!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
What she said was offensive and wrong. Wouldn’t matter if she’s a Repbulican or Democrat or whatever. Are the poor people of New Orleans who lost their houses and jobs-albeit it bad jobs and shitty housing-really better off now? No. And how much aid are they really going to get? What she said is a reflection on her. Whether it’s a relfection on the president or partisan politics more generally to any degree is more debatable.[/quote]

If she is wrong, please tell me what she said that broke a rule?

I’ve heard more than one person say stuff way worse than Barbara Bush about the former residents of NOLA.

Honestly - just because you disagree with it, and just because the PC handbook says not to say shit like that doesn’t make it wrong.

Snipe, what kind of fantasy world do you live in anyway?

I love how the rabid Bush supporters always make stuff like this up. You (and I) have no way to know how these people would have reacted under this situation.

In fact, based on Kerry’s past, I doubt he’d have had trouble making decisions. I know most of you Bushies don’t believe he actually earned his medals, but at the same time, at least he has seen action and made decisions under fire.

Unlike the current president.

So, go ahead, deflect and distract all you want, because it is obvious when you do it that you (and others in the rabidly worshipping Bush brigage) have been caught with your pants down once again. The more ardent the bullshit you spew, the more visible this fact is.