Bar (Starting) Positioning for Pressing from Pins

Coach, 2 questions (apologies for posting in wrong thread earlier):

1)OVERHEAD PRESSING FROM PINS: Is having the bar deadstart from chin/lower mouth postion ok? I am a taller lifter @ 6’2’ with long arms. Also, should they be done in a strict, no leg drive style?

2)45degree INC BBELL PRESS FROM PINS: What do you suggest as far as bar positioning/setup from the deadstart.

Cheers

[quote]PKS wrote:
Coach, 2 questions (apologies for posting in wrong thread earlier):

1)OVERHEAD PRESSING FROM PINS: Is having the bar deadstart from chin/lower mouth postion ok? I am a taller lifter @ 6’2’ with long arms. Also, should they be done in a strict, no leg drive style?

2)45degree INC BBELL PRESS FROM PINS: What do you suggest as far as bar positioning/setup from the deadstart.

Cheers [/quote]

1. I use 3 positions: mouth level, eyes level, just above forehead. All three have their advantages. When one position hits a sticking point, I switch to a new one. This allows for more continuous progress without having to change the actual exercise. No leg drive is used.

2. Are you sure it’s 45 degrees… on an adjustable bench, 45 degrees is the “second” setting from the bottom, not the first one. The first one is actually 30 degrees even though most people think it’s 45. I personally do not do 30 or 45 degrees inclines. When I do inclines it’s from a slight incline (4" blocks under bench to elevate), it’s more effective to hit the chest than a 30-45 deg angle. The 30-45 degree angle is a dead angle range to me. Doesn’t really hit the chest hard nor the delts. If I want to stimulate the pecs more, I use a slight incline, if I want more delts I use a 60 degrees (3rd setting from the bottom) incline and treat it like an overhead press (so same 3 positions as mentioned above). For the slight decline I start the bar 3-4" from the chest.

Thanks CT