T Nation

Bar Placement & Squat Depth

Squat Rx #4: Bar Placement & Squat Depth

In this Squat Rx #4, how to position the bar on your back properly, squat depth, and how to save your wrists, shoulders, and elbows are discussed.

[quote]Boris B wrote:
Squat Rx #4: Bar Placement & Squat Depth

In this Squat Rx #4, how to position the bar on your back properly, squat depth, and how to save your wrists, shoulders, and elbows are discussed.[/quote]

boris,

i just wanted to say thanks again for the informative video(s). all of the squat rx videos are a MUST for squatting newbs. check them out.

Boris,

I’ve listened to them all with great interest - really nicely done. I have a related question - I hope it’s not hijacking this thread: does the one-legged squat require the same lumbar position as the various two legged (slightly curved/neutral/braced spine)??

Again, thanks!

Thanks both of you!

Are you talking about pistols? Or, are you talking about lunges?

As far as pistols go, since you are using bodyweight, you can be a little more relaxed about your lower back rounding - unless you are using a lot of weight.

When you sink into absolute bottom position in the full squat, I notice that your back (as well as my own in the same movement) is no longer as anywhere near as arched as it was to begin with. It’s tough to tell the position of your lower back, but can you elaborate on just how far out of arch one can go, or if it is even possible to maintain a tight full arch at the bottom of a full squat.

I’m not sure if you mean the fact that there’s forward lean, or are you saying I’m losing arch in my upper back? As long as your upper back is staying tight and your chest isn’t caving in, you’re probably ok. If you do lose upper back tightness, you’re putting your rhomboids at greater risk of strain and the bar is going to put more pressure on your scapulae (if you are low bar squatting).

As far as my lower back goes, there is a little rounding, but it should be as minimal as possible. If you butt is tucking much at all, you need to work on it. Losing that lumbar curve at the bottom is putting your lower back at risk.

Squat Rx #1 is all about the lower back rounding at the bottom of the squat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

Thanks. I wager I just need to work on flexibility a bit more.

These videos have been very helpful and timely. I’ve found the stretches and exercises to be very effective. I suppose it should be obvious, but I was reluctant to lower the weight on the bar at all, but I’m quickly approaching my previous squat numbers and my back is now moving much more steadily, rather than all about and into creepy curvature. Thanks again! If not for this video series I am positive I would be running into lower back problems in no time; I was never even aware of how off my form was. People rant about safety with deadlift, but most seem to assume the squat is simple.

[quote]Boris B wrote:
Thanks both of you!

Are you talking about pistols? Or, are you talking about lunges?

As far as pistols go, since you are using bodyweight, you can be a little more relaxed about your lower back rounding - unless you are using a lot of weight.[/quote]

Thanks Boris. Yes, I meant pistols, though I don’t go so far down as to touch my butt to my heels. I do them off a box, and I don’t use much weight at all.

But I have been noticing that my pelvis is rounding under a bit - which I’d never allow myself to do with two-legged squats. Actually, I’ve done some experimenting, and It seems impossible - or at least extremely difficult - to do them while bracing the lumbar spine.

One other question re pistols: do I keep the hips square and level?

Thanks again for your videos. Cheers!

I do pistols, but I don’t really feel qualified to give you any hard answers about them… I can’t really maintain an arch w. them, but I would imagine that someone proficient could. As far as the hips go, it sure feels to me that you must displace the hips somewhat toward the working leg or you are are going to fall.

[quote]Boris B wrote:
I do pistols, but I don’t really feel qualified to give you any hard answers about them… I can’t really maintain an arch w. them, but I would imagine that someone proficient could. As far as the hips go, it sure feels to me that you must displace the hips somewhat toward the working leg or you are are going to fall.[/quote]

I’m going to look into this more - I’ll report back if I find anything out on this, tho my sense is that your are correct on both counts. Cheers & I hope you continue with your squat series!