T Nation

Bar Pad Situation with Client

All right, so I'm a trainer, and I never let my clients used the maxi pad when doing squats. One of my clients recently told me that her chiropracter told her to use some padding when doing heavy squats. I told her that it's actually more stress on the back if you have the pad there (elevating the center of mass, plus adding a second vagina). Does anyone have a link to some good documentation showing proof that the bar pad sucks?

Elevating the center of mass? By half an inch? That's some pseudo science bullshit if I ever heard it. Let her use the damn pad.

If you think about it, all the "bitch pad" is doing is increasing the surface area the weight is distributed over, at the expense of increasing the center of gravity (which you said yourself).

A lot of people who I see using the "manpon" typically have pretty poor bar placement and stick the bar right on their cervical vertebrae. Also, this particular individual might have very underdeveloped traps, and the bar is pushing on a thoracic vertebrae. In either case, she probably doesn't know how to hold the bar correctly.

In my experience, a raised center of gravity causes people to have a more anterior weight-bearing posture and be a bit more knee-dominant on their squats. Depending on the depth of this person's squats, her limb lengths, and other mechanical considerations, that could be putting more stress on her lumbar spine.

I think you should be careful about liability in this situation, though. If she claims her chiropractor instructed her to use padding, and then she injures her cervical or thoracic spine, you could find yourself in a pretty shitty situation.

Just put her on the leg press, if she's seeing a chiropractor at all then chances are if she injures her back in any way, then you know who's going to get blamed...

Limit your liability.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You failed to mention what's your client seeing a chiropractor for anyway. People don't just go about seeing chiropractors for giggles. Is it an injury? Chronic? Acute? If there is a specific problem that warrants the pad but doesn't exclude squats completely (although I can't imagine a scenario like that), then a padded squat is better than nothing right?

It won't hurt to get her chiro's contact info and, you know, ask him if there's anything you should know about her.

Maybe benway is right; maybe she just needs to learn to place the bar better. The way I learned it is when my coach made me visualize squeezing my shoulderblades together to create a "shelf" for the bar to sit on.

What is all this spazzing about a barely higher center of gravity? Overhead squats raise your COG a mile in the sky. People do overhead squats all the time. Who cares if the bar an inch or two higher on her back?

If the slightly higher COG really causes back flexion in the hole or shifts the weight anteriorly, then instruct her to decrease her depth slightly until the immobility is corrected. I'm not saying move to quarter-squat city; just saying...adjust.

Good post.

Just because you don't use the pad doesn't mean no one else can. If you want your client to keep coming back I would try to make her as comfortable to exercising as possible. She is most likely not their to get her "swole" on.

Sounds like your problem is you're trying to be right to her, in wanting to prove it with a article saying they are bad to use.

If it's comfortable, who gives a shit. The quads don't know there's a pad up there.
Besides, ever see a squat machine? Yeah there's fucking PADS on it!

Some stupid shit guys follow in the name of "masculinity".

^^By the way, that's the great Dave Draper using the God-forsaken pad.

You sick fuck.

After medical advice, you still want let her? You sicker fuck.

More stress on her back, or more stress on her because she pisses herself while squatting.
You are seriously the sickest fuck ive ever heard of.

But seriously I have no idea what the OP is about when he mentions maxi pads and vaginas, when referring to lifting.

Find out what's wrong with her back before you do anything.

I've always felt like the pad makes it easier for the bar to slip and roll down. That's potentially dangerous and at the very least means more stress on your wrists and arms.

People who use the pad put the bar not on their rhomboids, not on top of their traps but on fucking C7, then bend forward with that shit. Low bar squats don't stress my neck.

Putting the bar on a pad on C7 as opposed to on the rhomboids makes the lever arm (distance between bar and hip joint) a few per cent longer and makes lumbar rounding slightly more probable, or at least limits the weight you can use a little. I won't let neck strength limit leg strength.

My 2 cents.

I'd laugh at a "man" if he was using the pad, but let a woman do what she wants, female workouts are a joke anyways...

Suck a big one kakno, last time i checked that person in the video traded in "her" feminism a long time ago...What a gorilla beast!

I'm concerned that you're looking for proof that you're right, rather than trying to find out what is best for your client. I don't like that attitude.

how about the manta ray instead?

Okay, looks like I should have given much more background information... she's been training with me for about 5 months. She had major back pain when she started with me, couldn't get a diagnosis, and she's gone to a chiropractor regularly throughout the time we've been training (as well as before). She's had a bunch of kids, and has excessively lordotic posture, which is what I think is responsible for her back pain. Her legs were extremely weak when we started training, and she struggled to do squats without any weight. She also struggled with even activating her abs, which were also very weak. Her hamstrings were also extremely tight, and it took her a while to work up to full range RDLs. She also had very tight hip flexors and poor glute activation.

After the first month of training, she no longer had chronic back pain (but she continues seeing her chiropractor for regular adjustments, she switched chiropractors around the same time she started training with me), and she worked up to doing squats with the 45 lb. bar, RDLs with 45 with full range, and all her other exercises without feeling back pain. During that time, she never used the bar pad and never complained about it.

Over the last 4 months, she's worked up to doing squats with 95 for sets of 8, deadlifts with 120, barbell glute bridges with 90 (yes, she uses the pad on those at least), and has not mentioned anything about back pain or pain from doing squats.

This week, 2 days after doing squats, she had a lot of tension in her traps when she went for her regular chiropractor visit. He told her to use the bar pad when squatting heavy. Mind you this tension never was there before, and she had been gradually working her way up in weight for months. Her posture is now much better, she's way stronger, way more flexible, but suddenly her chiropractor thinks it's my fault for her having a bunch of tension in her traps one time.

Also, this client is a really cool lady, I enjoy training her, she wasn't mad at me or anything, she was just letting me know what her chiropractor said.