Bar Keeps Floating Away From Me at the Start of Pull

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Alpha, I’m just curious, do you deficit pull at all? [/quote]

Very, very little. I have found that double pause deadlifts have done more to help my pull out.[/quote]

Nice.

I’ve heard deficit pulls help with achieving a lower starting position and getting more leg drive in the initial pull. I haven’t tested the theory though.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Do note, my response here is the first offer of lifting advice I’ve given on this site since my fall from grace with the weights. This is out of respect for you personally.
[/quote]

Come on man, you’re like the Yoda of powerlifting. I would not consider setting records a, “fall from grace with the weights.”

For the love of God, post more![/quote]

So, of powerlifting, the Yoda am I?

It’s the wrinkles.

Carry on Marine.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Very, very little. I have found that double pause deadlifts have done more to help my pull out.[/quote]

I’ll offer that Alpha is plenty, plenty strong from the floor. How many people could recover and then propel a dead as swiftly as he does as in the video above with the bar swinging out in front like that?

All that needs to be done is for the good gentleman to move his knee caps closer to the leading surfaces of his forearms at set up, with the bar starting about an inch or so forward (closer to the center of the foot.)

Alpha’s keen senses will optimally align the rest of him within a few reps. He’ll pull 710 in a week or so. He will thank me profusely for the sage (Yoda like) advice. My head will swell. I’ll tell people and they will stare at me for a moment before going back to what they were doing prior to the interruption.

Or something, I don’t know.

Just offering Alpha some food for thought emskee. I wouldn’t offer him advice, lol…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Just offering Alpha some food for thought emskee. I wouldn’t offer him advice, lol…

[/quote]

Yeah, I guess, in reality, me too. The guy is a herd of wild horses and I’m a one trick pony…

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, I guess, in reality, me too. The guy is a herd of wild horses and I’m a one trick pony…

[/quote]

Dude’s a beast that’s for sure.

Emskee said it all. I was just going to say start with the bar where it is when it drifts out. Same thing used to happen to me. I try and place it over the middle of my foot’s arch and since then the bar pretty much never drifts forward.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude’s a beast that’s for sure. [/quote]

Hahahaha I think you both give me way too much credit!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Nice.

I’ve heard deficit pulls help with achieving a lower starting position and getting more leg drive in the initial pull. I haven’t tested the theory though. [/quote]

I love deficit deads!! Haven’t been doing them for very long and I can already tell that I am getting faster from the floor.
That plus pause deads are helping tremendously!

I’m gonna have to try these paused deads everyone keeps talking about. I am definitely weak off the floor.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude’s a beast that’s for sure. [/quote]

Hahahaha I think you both give me way too much credit![/quote]

No way man, I saw that 900lbs yoke walk!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I’m gonna have to try these paused deads everyone keeps talking about. I am definitely weak off the floor. [/quote]

Yes, exactly.

I’m not trying to be a smartass here (comes naturally, don’t you know) but what better way to train your pull from the floor than to do pulls from the floor? And pulls from the floor should come from a dead (as in "dead"lift) stop.

Wanna be a crazy man? Take the weight you were going to do today for reps, and do that many singles. Try for an E(M/2)O(M/2) to an EMOM rhythm maybe.

(I may have just made up the “E(M/2)O(M/2)” thing, but it means “every 30 seconds on the 30 seconds”)

So if it was 405 for 3 sets of 5, do 15 singles. Set up, pull, reset, stand up, take a few steps back, think “why am I doing this? emskee might not even exist, he could be some 11 year old kid somewhere…”, repeat 14 more times, rest less than you think you should, maybe change the thought between singles to something like “fuck emskee!!!”.

Anyway, I do this sometimes…

Except I don’t do the “emskee might not exist thing…”, though I do do the “fuck emskee” thing.

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I’m gonna have to try these paused deads everyone keeps talking about. I am definitely weak off the floor. [/quote]

Yes, exactly.

I’m not trying to be a smartass here (comes naturally, don’t you know) but what better way to train your pull from the floor than to do pulls from the floor? And pulls from the floor should come from a dead (as in "dead"lift) stop.

Wanna be a crazy man? Take the weight you were going to do today for reps, and do that many singles. Try for an E(M/2)O(M/2) to an EMOM rhythm maybe.

(I may have just made up the “E(M/2)O(M/2)” thing, but it means “every 30 seconds on the 30 seconds”)

So if it was 405 for 3 sets of 5, do 15 singles. Set up, pull, reset, stand up, take a few steps back, think “why am I doing this? emskee might not even exist, he could be some 11 year old kid somewhere…”, repeat 14 more times, rest less than you think you should, maybe change the thought between singles to something like “fuck emskee!!!”.

Except I don’t do the “emskee might not exist thing…”, though I do do the “fuck emskee” thing.

[/quote]

Lol…

Today is 5x10 @ 225: Do you think it would be overkill if I do 50 singles like this?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Lol…

Today is 5x10 @ 225: Do you think it would be overkill if I do 50 singles like this?[/quote]

Not OVERkill, it would kill me just enough.

Naw, 5x10 is your hypertrophy, “look how pumped my traps are!” workout.

I mean singles for your powerlifter work sets, your 65% and up stuff.

Like last time I did singles training looked like this (note, each single is pulled crazy hard and fast like I’m trying to start the biggest chain saw in the universe…)

I’m pretending on a 630 at a contest on February 22 at this point.

Oct 31, 65%: 410 x 20 singles, E(M/2)O(M/2)
Nov 8, 70%: 440 x 15 singles, E(M/2)O(M/2)
Nov 15, 75%: 470 x 12 singles, EMOM
Nov 22, 80%: 500 x 10 singles, EMOM
Nov 29, 85%: 530 x 8 singles EMOM

Add 15 pounds and start over

Dec 6, 65%: 425 x 20 singles, E(M/2)O(M/2)
Dec 13, 70%: 455 x 15 singles, E(M/2)O(M/2)
Dec 20, 75%: 490 x 10 singles, EMOM (Left adductor twinge on set 10, leftover from previous squat workout)

Then I slipped on the icy stairs on my porch and screwed up my left hand for a while and could not grasp the bar. So much for my planned February contest.

Anyway, get it?

After the work sets, I’d do some speed triples, maybe 3-6 sets at 55-60% and sometimes 2 or 3 sets of 10 at 50ish% if I could still see straight.

[quote]emskee wrote:
Anyway, get it?
[/quote]

Yup, got it. Thanks for the insight!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Anyway, get it?
[/quote]

Yup, got it. Thanks for the insight![/quote]

Cool, yeah, I mean, if you’re doing 225x5x10 today, just to feel it out, why not just put something heaver than that on the bar and do some set up and pull singles before the 5x10? I think I saw that you did something like 315x4x5 recently. Maybe do 5-8 singles at 315 before your 5x10 just to practice walking up, setting up, gripping, ripping, repeating.

I dunno.

I mean what I do is pretty whimsical at times, hallucinogenically based on old Prilipen training by percents stuff I ingested when I was younger (basically the Westside Barbell stuff deep in the forest, currently obscured to so many eyes by the newer trees), Vince Anello who I briefly hung around with, Roger Estep, etc.

I mean, really, almost anything works if your form is on, right? Treating your singles like meet singles trains not only the pull but also trains watching the clock, controlling the psych, repeating a proper set up, pulling on a truly dead mass, all that.

Or I’m just some full of crap 11 year old…

I believe we own this thread now.

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Anyway, get it?
[/quote]

Yup, got it. Thanks for the insight![/quote]

Cool, yeah, I mean, if you’re doing 225x5x10 today, just to feel it out, why not just put something heaver than that on the bar and do some set up and pull singles before the 5x10? I think I saw that you did something like 315x4x5 recently. Maybe do 5-8 singles at 315 before your 5x10 just to practice walking up, setting up, gripping, ripping, repeating.

I dunno.

I mean what I do is pretty whimsical at times, hallucinogenically based on old Prilipen training by percents stuff I ingested when I was younger (basically the Westside Barbell stuff deep in the forest, currently obscured to so many eyes by the newer trees), Vince Anello who I briefly hung around with, Roger Estep, etc.

I mean, really, almost anything works if your form is on, right? Treating your singles like meet singles trains not only the pull but also trains watching the clock, controlling the psych, repeating a proper set up, pulling on a truly dead mass, all that.

Or I’m just some full of crap 11 year old…

I believe we own this thread now.[/quote]

Ya, I might do that actually. 315 would put me at about 75% so maybe I’ll do 10-15 singles and cut my 5x10 down to 4x10 or so. What the hell, why not…

This is definitely our thread now!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Ya, I might do that actually. 315 would put me at about 75% so maybe I’ll do 10-15 singles and cut my 5x10 down to 4x10 or so. What the hell, why not…

This is definitely our thread now! [/quote]

Super.

And if it blows up in your face, it’s your fault for listening to an 11 year old.

(Actually, I think you’ll like doing this now and again. I mean lifting like this, not listening to kids.)

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

This is definitely our thread now! [/quote]

Super.

And if it blows up in your face, it’s your fault for listening to an 11 year old.

(Actually, I think you’ll like doing this now and again. I mean lifting like this, not listening to kids.)[/quote]

My deadlift isn’t exactly earth shattering and progress has been slow for a while. I’ll listen to just about any advice, even from an 11 year old!

[quote]emskee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Yes, exactly.

[/quote]

I completely agree with this. Matt Gary wrote an entire article about only performing single with he deadlift. every 30 seconds I think would be great. I have even heard a lot of guys who will put on moderate weight and pull EMOM for 40-50 minutes just trying to perfect the form and keep up the bar speed.