Banning the 'R Word'

Interesting stuff here. Maybe. Here’s the story:

I’ve been fucking off in all of my classes this semester. Last week, one of my teachers offered an extra-credit opportunity. It was to volunteer to spread awareness about “Banning the R Word.” In other words, trying to get people to stop saying the word “retard” or “retarded” in a sense that’s not clinical or literal in its meaning.

Well, I decided to volunteer. What the hell - it was only for an hour. So I get to the spot on campus, and there’s two special folks along with two other normal folks, and we basically just accost people and ask them for their signatures in support of the cause.

Here’s the kicker: I’m not really one of those douchebags who think that every fucking thing people say needs to be taken literally, but I do try to refrain from some words in casual conversation… retarded, gay, fag, etc, just out of general respect for others (something we all know doesn’t exist anymore.)

But when my professor actually arrived on spot just to check in, she started ranting and raving about how this is a National movement that was formulated primarily because of the movie Tropic Thunder.

What the fuck? Really?

I know quite well of what she was talking about… the “You never go full retard” line and scenarios. But seriously, come the hell on. It’s a comedy. An R-RATED comedy - meant to poke fun at societal and social constructs. She then started talking about how she was one of those people with signs outside the movie when it was released, boycotting and complaining about the unfair use of the word retard.

I don’t know. I was kind of surprised.

Again, 98.756% of the reason I volunteered for the cause was for extra credit, but I went in with a positive mindset trying to actually to stop common usages of words like that. When I heard the professor saying that shit, though, it almost made me want to just leave and tell her to grow the fuck up.

Thoughts… ?

• I have also used my magic crystal ball and seen into the future… Poster who posts nothing relevant to the topic except something like “I think it’s retarded,” you are not funny or original. At least come up with something fresh if you’re not going to post on-topic, please. *

I can’t stand people who care way too much about shit that doesn’t matter at all.

Agreed with Tumbles (awesome name lol).
This is another move from the sandy vagina pussy faggots movement.
Wah wah it’s offensive wah.
Stfu, bitch.

lol just reading the words" You never go full retard" crack me up. Simple Jack ftw!

People get caught up in this stuff too much. I bet retarded people don’t even care.

My accounting teacher in high school had a ‘retarded’ brother and would flip the fuck out when anyone would use the word. Which was every 30 minutes.

this guy(brandon) i knew in highschool, his sister was mentally retarded and brandon was a total douche.

anyways, one of my friends told me some stupid joke: “what’s the difference between a bowling ball and your sister? nothing they both get fingered, thrown in the gutter and always come back for more”

anyways, when he told me that joke i saw brandon about 30 feet in front of me, i say “hey steve go tell brandon that joke”

steve told brandon the joke then got punched in the face twice and yelled at. owned.

wow…

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I bet retarded people don’t even care.[/quote]

that is actually not true. some guy i knew accidentally called a mentally challenged guy “retarded” in highschool. the guy ran away crying.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
wow…[/quote]

Yeah, are you retarded or something?

No joke is worth telling 3 times in a row!

I have a mentally handicapped brother.

It’s a move for general respect purposes. I agree it’s not a huge deal, and certainly not worth accosting people for signatures. That said, that word has just ended up with a bad connotation, mostly because of idiots who use it. It’s the same people who call things “gay.” Which is great. But most ideas or inanimate objects don’t have sexual preference. So “retarded” just ends up meaning, “this is something bad.” Well, sure having a mental handicap isn’t ideal, but its certainly not as if those with handicaps are unhappy, miserable folks who are distressed by our inappropriate usage of the word.

I understand where your prof is coming from, but sometimes people just need to chill the fuck out. I would rather see the word retarded not used by people in a negative sense, but I’m not about to get pissed if it drops in conversation. I will, almost assuredly, make fun of the person that uses it–same with the usage of “gay.”

If your prof wants to truly make a difference, tell her to do some work to get funding for research or studies. Or even just volunteer and actually work with handicapped people instead of trying to be some sort of asshole advocate.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
I bet retarded people don’t even care.

that is actually not true. some guy i knew accidentally called a mentally challenged guy “retarded” in highschool. the guy ran away crying.
[/quote]

we were all made fun of for some point in our lives, whats next banning the word “fat”?

I’m going to go check out some really expensive house, tell my buddy “Dude this house is phat”, and someone is going to freak the fuck out.

“You can’t say that! It’s not right!”

JaX Un wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
I bet retarded people don’t even care.

we were all made fun of for some point in our lives, whats next banning the word “fat”?

I’m going to go check out some really expensive house, tell my buddy “Dude this house is phat”, and someone is going to freak the fuck out.

“You can’t say that! It’s not right!”

[/quote]

those are complete different examples. A fat person has the mental capabilities to ignore the insult or deal with it in another way. does the mentally challenged kid have the same abilities, probably not.

anyways, you said “I bet retarded people don’t even care.” I gave you an example where a mentally challenged guy DID care. Go down to your local high school and say “retard” around the first mentally challenged kid you see to get your own evidence

i mean, waylander, overall i do agree with what you are saying, but it doesn’t hurt to be a little more respectful in front of -certain- people.

Awesome! Do you want to punch her every time you see her now?

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
i mean, waylander, overall i do agree with what you are saying, but it doesn’t hurt to be a little more respectful in front of -certain- people.[/quote]

Obviously I will not use the word retarded infront of a person with an actual handicap, it’s just street slang that I’ve picked up over time. When I use it I don’t picture someone with Down Syndrome or w/e.

When I’m in the company of a woman or w/e and something stupid happens I’ll say “Wow, that’s retarded” Instead of “That’s fucked up.” It’s basically a nicer version of fuck lol.

I in no way use it to make fun of someone who is in fact retarded.

This retarded and very gay.
people are way too sensitive about this shit.
Hence, this dumb hillary duff commercial.

I work in special education and I see nothing wrong with word retard or any version of it. I remember In one of my survey of special education college classes this chick said “a lot of the laws on the books are retarded” I thought that was awkward but the professor did’nt give a fuck.
Intellectually disabled is becoming the new term for retards. Meh.

JaX Un wrote:
i mean, waylander, overall i do agree with what you are saying, but it doesn’t hurt to be a little more respectful in front of -certain- people.

Obviously I will not use the word retarded infront of a person with an actual handicap, it’s just street slang that I’ve picked up over time. When I use it I don’t picture someone with Down Syndrome or w/e.

[/quote]

It really doesn’t matter. What you’re saying is, “______ has a mental handicap.” Or, “_______ is slowed down.”

Learn English. Then try again.

I’m glad your now using the word which describe people with mental disabilities as a synonym for fuck. Awesome.

It’s like saying, “That class is gay.” Is the class happy–cheery even!? Or does the class like to make out with other classes of the same sex? I just don’t know. Words is confusing.

NOTE: I’m not offended. I think people should just realize what they are saying. That’s all.

For anyone offended by the word “retarded”

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=ralphie-may-retarded&videoId=77784