T Nation

Banning Junk Food in School

Case in point an organization called Parents Against Junk Food. They?re a group of bored trophy wives who have made it their mission to ban all junk food from the public schools.

Wait a second! Bored housewives? I wonder if they know about CrossFit? But alas it may be too late for they are petitioning all levels of government to make sure that Johnny does not dare to have a bag of Doritos and a can of Mountain Dew at lunchtime. Mmmm Doritos!

Read more: http://moynihaninstitute.com/

What’s wrong with banning junk food from schools?

While I’m not a fan of banning things like food, I do like the idea behind it. School may be the only place where a lot of kids can get a decent meal, and the school boards should make it a priority to have plenty of healthy choices.

With the rise of childhood obesity and its associated diseases like diabetes, I can’t say that I find anything wrong with banning junk food in schools.

Yay bored trophy wives! I hope they get somewhere with this.

Of course they will probably replace all of the “junk” with a bunch of soy products…

Legislating what may be sold in schools is certainly appropriate. It is shameful that schools make substantial revenues by selling cookies, doritos, and sodas in their vending machines.

Legislating what may be brought in by a child for his own consumption is an entirely different matter.

[quote]sic wrote:
With the rise of childhood obesity and its associated diseases like diabetes, I can’t say that I find anything wrong with banning junk food in schools.

Yay bored trophy wives! I hope they get somewhere with this.[/quote]

Solely blaming junk food on obesity is bullshit.
A major contributor to obesity is inactivity. Schools cutting out physical education classes.

When I was in grade school, I ate a shitload of junk food.
BUT I also participated in P.E. class and played a lot of freeze tag at recess(just one of the many activities).

:slight_smile:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Legislating what may be sold in schools is certainly appropriate. It is shameful that schools make substantial revenues by selling cookies, doritos, and sodas in their vending machines.

Legislating what may be brought in by a child for his own consumption is an entirely different matter.[/quote]

That sums it up.

Regarding the thread title shouldn’t schools be nannys?

[quote]Xylene wrote:
sic wrote:
With the rise of childhood obesity and its associated diseases like diabetes, I can’t say that I find anything wrong with banning junk food in schools.

Yay bored trophy wives! I hope they get somewhere with this.

Solely blaming junk food on obesity is bullshit.
A major contributor to obesity is inactivity. Schools cutting out physical education classes.

When I was in grade school, I ate a shitload of junk food.
BUT I also participated in P.E. class and played a lot of freeze tag at recess(just one of the many activities).

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

I didn’t say that junk food alone causes obesity. I certainly agree that kids need more exercise and activity in their lives.

From the ages of 6-15 I moved several times and lived in a city, a small neighborhood, and a very rural area. I did everything from riding my bike everywhere, playing softball, riding horses, or just playing tag in the back yard.

My mom limited computer game time to 30 minutes a day. I thought that was pretty unfair at the time but looking back on it, I’m really glad I was an active healthy kid.

It makes me sick to see overweight 4 and 5 year olds and know that they are just going to continue to become more and more obese as they get older.

I think anything that can be done to help kids live a healthier lifestyle is a step in the right direction.