Bank Woes= Need Advice Please

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:
VanderLaan is right (well the first part anyway, I disagree with just paying it to make it go away, but that’s just me).

So what does he do if he follows my (our) advice and the bank insists that he pay the service charge? I would think that he should pay it and be done with BOA. Given your previous advice, I would doubt that you would suggest that he not pay it. He definitely is not going to get an attorney and take BOA to court. So what other option does he have?

I like to think that I am a man of principle. However, there are some things in life that are just not worth falling on your sword over. Sometimes, cracking the wallet, dropping some green on the table and telling them to fuck off is the best option. Just be sure that you get a receipt.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, you are right. The financial system is set up to be able to effectively ruin a person’s life. They have us by the stones. That’s why I liked the end of “Fight Club” so much. :slight_smile:

I think the answer is to walk in with a tek 9 and unload. I think that should would be instill a balance of power.

Or at the very least slash the bank manager’s tires or worse.

On a lighter note. I’m going to go into another outlet, and try the situation more civilly and basically reduce it to I will pay the gym membership fees, but not the overdraft fees, here is the money. If that is unacceptable, I will take it as far as it can possibly go.

There is something basically invasive about reopening someone’s account w/o their permission.

They chose to pay my bills, it is quite obvious someone with 0 dollars in their account because they have chosen to close their account. Is unable to satisfy a bill that came AFTER they closed their account.

If the bank takes any other position then I don’t really think they are speaking logically, I wonder what the ACLU would think of this? Would they care? Is this invasive enough to qualify for their services?

I think that’s probably a good call… hopefully it all works out after this. Make sure you get a signed confirmation from them if possible that the account will be closed!

They’ll probably try to refuse to close it until you pay the overdraft charges.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Some advice to anyone when switching banks and accounts - leave something in the old account for at least a month - until you are sure that all payments have gone through and all automatic withdrawals have switched to your new bank.

DB[/quote]

He’s right. You never know if there is a check or automatic payment that you’ve forgotten about. I got fed up with BoA last summer, switched to another bank, and BoA told me that a withdraw attempt bounced from that old account. The manager gave me a paradox. I forgot how but eventually I accidentally realized that the check was for my school’s fundraiser that took my colleague like 3 months to cash in!

The other day my AAA membership was set to auto-renew and I remembered that I forgot to redirect it to my new debit card.

To the OP, in my case BoA didn’t reopen my account, but you were the one who didn’t prevent that mistake from happening. Just pay the bloody balance, triple-check to make sure BoA isn’t set up for any more payments or checks, and enjoy your new bank. :slight_smile: Or you can spend hours and hours just to fish out whatever membership agreement and get a moral victory that only you will give a shit about.

This same type of shit happened to me three months ago. there was fraudulent charges on my account. So I had them close it… or so I thought. basically the bank will leave the account “open” for a month after you close it in order to make sure any automatic bill pay isnt still going through your account.

what they dont do is tell you that money can still be taken out of your so called closed account! I went through all the same shit man finally the bank closed the account for real. I didnt pay a fuckin dime to those fuckheads. Banks are getting to be as bad as insurace companies!!

Two words.

Tech Nine.

Someone’s gotta snap.

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
Two words.

Tech Nine.

Someone’s gotta snap.[/quote]
People like you are why I have job security!

Just pay the money and move on!

I deal with Wells Fargo. Great hospitality! I go in and make deals with them, and they are glad too. I once had an overdraft fee (not that happens often) and I went in and asked if they could take it off and they gladly since they saw my account was not delinquent I just had my timing off.

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
On a lighter note. I’m going to go into another outlet, and try the situation more civilly and basically reduce it to I will pay the gym membership fees, but not the overdraft fees, here is the money. If that is unacceptable, I will take it as far as it can possibly go.[/quote]

That is a much more mature attitude than your other posts r/this topic. Depending on your history with the bank, they may just leave it at that. Good luck.

[quote]There is something basically invasive about reopening someone’s account w/o their permission.

They chose to pay my bills, it is quite obvious someone with 0 dollars in their account because they have chosen to close their account. Is unable to satisfy a bill that came AFTER they closed their account.[/quote]
If an ACH transaction goes through the bank is responsible for covering it…period. Since it’s not there ACH they are going to open your account again because you are the responsible party. Understand that when an ACH transaction hits a bank the money is AUTOMATICALLY transferred. It is completely out of the hands of anyone at the bank.

No…the ACLU defends peoples civil liberties. Your civil liberties were not violated. You incurred a debt that someone else paid for you. As I said before…man up, quit complaining about it, and pay the debts that you owe.