Bank Robbery?

So, I’m talking to my friend in England…his company is going down. They are 35,000 pounds in the hole. He starts asking me, how easy is it to rob banks in America ?LOL.

Now hey, I’m a hard working citizen and all, but I dream about robbing a bank sometimes. Okay maybe more than sometimes. Certainly not for 35K…or to buy some company I tell you that. What’s wrong with you English? Anyway, there once was a Bonnie and Clyde… I’d just like to know, what would YOU do to rob a bank.

BTW… I did inform him that he’d be shot down like a bitch.

I can’t reveal my masterplans.

Bank robberies are actually still common in North America. The were so common in Montreal in the 70’s that the city had a special task force. I believe it was only a couple years ago the task force was disbanded.

As for a plan,…don’t get caught. :slight_smile:

I think it is pretty easy to rob a bank once and not get caught if you limit yourself to one cashier.

I don’t really see it as a good career move.

Hmmm, we kinda made bank robbery a new national sport in South Africa, but its actually easier to rob the vans taking the cash to the bank then nock of the bank itself…

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2140798,00.html

Most bank robberies, around 80%, are spontaneous, i.e. a guy is deperate, has a gun in his car, thinks “what the fuck” and goes for it.

Not good.

I would go after a money transporter.

They are not shielded enough to withstand a high powered rifle and their drivers k now that.

With a plasma torch and an hydraulic spreader you need less than 5 min get into the backside and this leaves you a lot of time even if you have much less wide open spave than you would have in the US.

Not that I thought about this or anything.

[quote]Chris J wrote:
Hmmm, we kinda made bank robbery a new national sport in South Africa, but its actually easier to rob the vans taking the cash to the bank then nock of the bank itself…

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2140798,00.html

[/quote]

Beat me to it.

A few years back, a guy in my town robbed a bank armed only with a pitchfork. He must have been smart enough to get rid of the dye pack and to sit on the money for a good amount of time because he hasnt been caught.

I work in a bank and I can honestly tell you that if you plan on doing it, plan on getting caught. There is a lot more going on in banks as far as security goes than the public understands. I liken bank robbery a lot to counterfeiting, its stupid to do and even if you think youve covered your tracks, chances are, it will get traced back to you.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I work in a bank and I can honestly tell you that if you plan on doing it, plan on getting caught. There is a lot more going on in banks as far as security goes than the public understands. I liken bank robbery a lot to counterfeiting, its stupid to do and even if you think youve covered your tracks, chances are, it will get traced back to you.[/quote]

The other problem with robbing a bank is that even if you only get away with $5, you’ve committed a federal crime.

I think doing it electronically would be the way to go these days, create some kind of skimming program where you could clip tiny amounts across a vast network of accounts and transactions. That’s as far as I’ve managed to plan though, I’ll have to get back to you when I’ve worked out some of the finer details. ;p

Back in the day on of my buddies who was a really good hacker, got into a bank’s system and deposited money into his account like a check had cleared. Guess they never realized that there wasn’t a physical check. He never got caught.

I would counterfeit the money instead of robbing a bank. They only every check $20’s and up with the pen so you could simply use 10’s and 5’s and be good to go.

I remember when I got my first scanner I printed fake money and the 7-11 took a $10 that was printed on plan old computer paper haha

I don’t think the planning or execution of the robbery itself would have to be anything complicated. Most robbers don’t seem to have any problem getting the money and getting away from the bank.

People usually get caught because someone runs off at the mouth, either one of the participants, an ex-girlfriend, or ticked off family member. So I’d act alone, wouldn’t tell a soul, and spend the money very modestly.

I remember from watching Unsolved Mysteries that the bank robbers they never caught acted alone, wore a simple costume, like a wig, fake mustache and sunglasses. They didn’t yell or wave the gun around too much, and got in and out very quickly.

[quote]PussyGato wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:
I work in a bank and I can honestly tell you that if you plan on doing it, plan on getting caught. There is a lot more going on in banks as far as security goes than the public understands. I liken bank robbery a lot to counterfeiting, its stupid to do and even if you think youve covered your tracks, chances are, it will get traced back to you.

The other problem with robbing a bank is that even if you only get away with $5, you’ve committed a federal crime.

I think doing it electronically would be the way to go these days, create some kind of skimming program where you could clip tiny amounts across a vast network of accounts and transactions. That’s as far as I’ve managed to plan though, I’ll have to get back to you when I’ve worked out some of the finer details. ;p[/quote]

Finer details? It’s easy…just talk to Michael Bolton and that guy whose name nobody can pronounce. They’ve got it all figured out.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
A few years back, a guy in my town robbed a bank armed only with a pitchfork. He must have been smart enough to get rid of the dye pack and to sit on the money for a good amount of time because he hasnt been caught.

I work in a bank and I can honestly tell you that if you plan on doing it, plan on getting caught. There is a lot more going on in banks as far as security goes than the public understands. I liken bank robbery a lot to counterfeiting, its stupid to do and even if you think youve covered your tracks, chances are, it will get traced back to you.[/quote]

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=43932

this guys been doing ok for the past few months. hes like a local legend in NJ now. in fact, if he didnt get so greedy hed be laughing all the way to the bank, pun intended. no gun, no mask, no violence. just a hat and a note. 17 banks later, hes still out there. the last one had a dye pack blow on him, but he hasnt popped up since so maybe he took the hint.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060317/ai_n16226546

Apparently, the drive through isn’t the way to go, you actually have to park and go into the bank to get the money. Lame, what if I’m in a hurry?

[quote]PussyGato wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:

I think doing it electronically would be the way to go these days, create some kind of skimming program where you could clip tiny amounts across a vast network of accounts and transactions.

[/quote]

This is true. A math teacher I had in college said he had a friend who was a computer genius and would do this method. He would simply clip 1 penny per deposit across several thousand accounts per day, and put it in his account. Over the course of one year, he accumulated $138,000.

One night, the guy was drunk at a bar and told his plan to the guy sitting next to him. Little did he know, the guy he was talking to happened to be an undercover cop. The cop got with his computer department and traced the guys’ activity, and caught him the next day in the act of a transaction. He was arrested and now serving time in jail.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
PussyGato wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:

Finer details? It’s easy…just talk to Michael Bolton and that guy whose name nobody can pronounce. They’ve got it all figured out.[/quote]

Samir nah…nagah…na…naga…not gonna work here anymore.

And besides, it’s just some mundane detail that always gets missed, decimal point in the wrong place (according to Michael Bolton).

The case closure rate on bank robberies handled by the fbi is well over 60 percent. And most bank robbers make off with less than $3,000. in fact I think you�??d be surprised at how little cash most banks keep on the premise these days.

with the use of ATMs, automatic bill payment and electronic transfers most branches only need to keep the bare minimum on hand: a few grand in each drawer and few stacks in the safe and that’s about it. if they need more they can order up a delivery in a couple hours time and by the end of the day most of that is gone.

So unless you’re willing to devise some master plan Pacino-style (a-la Heat) you�??re better off finding another line of work

How about those stupid little ATMs in stores. Some shmo owns and operates those and you know damn well he doesn’t want to do his rounds very often, so they must have tons in them.

Drive a pick-up truck through the window, hoist it in, and voila, you’ve got a shit ton of loot and a giant paper weight.

I saw this on tv, but the guys got their truck stuck inside of the store. Dumb assholes!

Agreed. We dont keep very much on hand at all. Chances are, what you would get a way with would not be enough to justify the 60% chance of spending 20 years behind bars.

[quote]jeromeTERRIBLE wrote:
How about those stupid little ATMs in stores. Some shmo owns and operates those and you know damn well he doesn’t want to do his rounds very often, so they must have tons in them.

Drive a pick-up truck through the window, hoist it in, and voila, you’ve got a shit ton of loot and a giant paper weight.

I saw this on tv, but the guys got their truck stuck inside of the store. Dumb assholes![/quote]

Have you ever seen the first Barber Shop?

Seriously though, those things are a lot heavier than you think. That would be kind of like trying to steal an armored coke machine. Im sure the people who designed them thought about the possibility of theft and made them tougher than most can imagine, even moreso than the large units outside of banks.