T Nation

Banjo Tips

Any banjo players in the forums? I’ve been playing guitar for several years now and am looking to get into banjo now! I have no idea where to start though. Where do I even begin? What kind of banjo should I look for? Any tips on learning?

One time, I played a banjo and then fucked my sister afterwards.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
One time, I played a banjo and then fucked my sister afterwards.[/quote]

The banjo is the gateway instrument to incest. True story.

I enjoy music, but I don’t play it, so take my advice for what it is worth.

Listen to music involving the banjo. Look for forums more specific to understanding that sort of music. Don’t listen to these people who equate the banjo with incest, because THAT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

Become a good banjo player. Do what it takes, and if you can’t find a good compass as to what brand makes a good banjo, figure it out yourself.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

Listen to music involving the banjo. Look for forums more specific to understanding that sort of music. Don’t listen to these people who equate the banjo with incest, because THAT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

Become a good banjo player. Do what it takes, and if you can’t find a good compass as to what brand makes a good banjo, figure it out yourself. [/quote]

I was kidding, bud.

My grandfather was in the Philly string band. Watching him play was a one of my favorite memories of him.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
One time, I played a banjo and then fucked my sister afterwards.[/quote]

The banjo is the gateway instrument to incest. True story.[/quote]

Stairway to Incest.

OP, pick up a cheap banjo at a local music store and screw around with it for a while. Download/Youtube lessons for things you are struggling with. It is pretty similar to guitar, although the style of play will be the challenging part/thing that will make you a better musician. BTW, I’ve only played banjos in music shops while messing around with weird instruments.

“You can never play a depressing tune when you’re playing the banjo.”

-Steve Martin

I’m not a musician, but I loved this documentary narrated by Steve Martin:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
“You can never play a depressing tune when you’re playing the banjo.”

-Steve Martin[/quote]

“Death, and sorrow, pain, and murder!” (paraphrasing).

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/

Made in good ol’ San Diego. I’ve heard you get what you pay for when it comes to these particular instruments. They’re like mountain bikes, literally the more you spend the better the instrument will be, whereas there are affordable guitars that can still play pretty nice.

I don’t know man, I’ve picked up a banjo now and again at a guitar center to try and understand it, but the thing seems difficult. I know there’s a couple different picking styles (claw and something else), and to play as good and as fast as that kid in the OP’d video you basically have to start playing when you’re fresh out the womb. Mad props to those boys by the way, serious pickers, especially for their age.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Made in good ol’ San Diego. I’ve heard you get what you pay for when it comes to these particular instruments. They’re like mountain bikes, literally the more you spend the better the instrument will be, whereas there are affordable guitars that can still play pretty nice.

I don’t know man, I’ve picked up a banjo now and again at a guitar center to try and understand it, but the thing seems difficult. I know there’s a couple different picking styles (claw and something else), and to play as good and as fast as that kid in the OP’d video you basically have to start playing when you’re fresh out the womb. Mad props to those boys by the way, serious pickers, especially for their age.[/quote]

Those kids are absolutely nuts. Watched an interview with them and they’ve only been playing for three years each. It’s not a stretch to say they’re going places.

I’m looking at a few different 6 string banjos for my first one that way the transition from guitar is a little smoother. A few years down the road I hope to move to the 5 string.

Its kinda creepy how good that kid is

I thought this was going to be a foreskin thread.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

Become a good banjo player. Do what it takes, and if you can’t find a good compass as to what brand makes a good banjo, figure it out yourself. [/quote]

I was kidding, bud.

My grandfather was in the Philly string band. Watching him play was a one of my favorite memories of him.[/quote]

Sorry! I misunderstood.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Its kinda creepy how good that kid is[/quote]

Kind of a Damien look on his face. I see what you’re saying now that I’ve watched these through a couple of times.

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

I don’t know man, I’ve picked up a banjo now and again at a guitar center to try and understand it, but the thing seems difficult. I know there’s a couple different picking styles (claw and something else), and to play as good and as fast as that kid in the OP’d video you basically have to start playing when you’re fresh out the womb. Mad props to those boys by the way, serious pickers, especially for their age.[/quote]

Those kids are absolutely nuts. Watched an interview with them and they’ve only been playing for three years each. It’s not a stretch to say they’re going places.

I’m looking at a few different 6 string banjos for my first one that way the transition from guitar is a little smoother. A few years down the road I hope to move to the 5 string.

[/quote]

I’ve played around on couple six string banjos as well. What was weird for me was strumming a chord and have it die the moment the pick hit the last string. It’s so muted and individually focused on each pluck that the resonance(sp?) is absent all together. I’m not a picker by any stretch, so the whole concept, including the way you hold the thing, is foreign to me.

I bought a cheap one at a garage sale when I was 16…fooled around with it for a summer…had been playing the guitar for many years…couldn’t get into the banjo…the different tuning made it tough for me, but I honestly didn’t put much effort into it…

[quote]on edge wrote:
I thought this was going to be a foreskin thread.[/quote]

Lallll, I just lost it there ^^

I’d be curious to know if anyone has ever plugged one into a Marshall stack.

edit/cranked to eleven of course :wink:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I’d be curious to know if anyone has ever plugged one into a Marshall stack.

edit/cranked to eleven of course ;)[/quote]

I think that Mumford and Sons guys are amplified…this is really why I don’t recommend a banjo…every damn song with a banjo sounds the same.